PDA

View Full Version : Parenthetical Direct Line Ancestors

Jeanne
17 March 2005, 10:32 PM
Can someone please help me with a small problem....I have relatives who are married to each other and also cousins. When I print a Register Report and include the Parenthetical Direct Line Ancestors, the mother's direct line is listed after the kids and I would like the father's direct line to be printed instead. Any way of switching this?

Jeanne

Deb
22 March 2005, 02:17 PM
Can someone please help me with a small problem....I have relatives who are married to each other and also cousins. When I print a Register Report and include the Parenthetical Direct Line Ancestors, the mother's direct line is listed after the kids and I would like the father's direct line to be printed instead. Any way of switching this?Jeanne,

There is no "correct" way of switching the Parenthetical Direct Line Ancestors, in this situation. However, a couple work-arounds are available...

1. Edit the Parenthetical Ancestry manually in your word processor after the Register Report has been created. (This would be my preferred method of changing the direct line Parenthetical Ancestry that is shown on the Register Report.)

2. Or, open your family file and follow the Parenthetical Ancestry back to the first common ancestor of the two cousins. Then, change the order in which the siblings are shown on that family card. (I.e. you would want the direct ancestor of the father's line to be shown above the direct ancestor of the mother's line.) Let me explain this with an example using first cousins...

I created a test family file whereby I married my first cousin and we had two children. Our fathers were brothers and my father was the oldest of the two. Therefore, he appeared first on his parent's family card and the Parenthetical Ancestry shown in the Register Report constantly went through my side of the family. However, I opened my grandparents family card (showing my father and his brother as children) and chose Edit -> Children. Then, I moved my father's name down to be shown under his brother and clicked Save. Finally, I created the Register Report as usual and the Parenthetical Ancestry went through my husband's side (or my cousin's side) of the family.

Note: since changing the order that the children appear is altering the details in your family file, I would recommend changing it back after creating the report.

Nonetheless, I hope this helps to get the results you were hoping for:-)