PDA

View Full Version : Hard copy for backup purposes - how?

Judith Rascoe
22 July 2006, 06:10 PM
I'm not ready to turn my files into a book yet, but recent computer misadventures have made me wish for a hard copy backup of my data as well as the DVD backups I have. And because it's not for publication, I'd like to make a comprehensive hard copy that's also quickly done. But given the flexibility of Reunion and its many printing options, I can't figure out the fastest way to do this. Has anybody done such a print-out? Mine isn't an enormous file - only about 800 people. Is this an 800 page document, or are there ways to compress it without losing a drop of data?

MabryBenson
24 July 2006, 07:15 PM
You are correct to want hard copy back up.

I do this by making Family Groups Sheets for everyone which includes all fields I use. Depending on the amount of text that is entered, a fgs can run several pages per couple. These can be tightened up with some editing (for instance I don't repeat the verbage/data for the principal spouse when there is a second spouse.)

I also make cascading pedigrees to give me a road map. And depending on my interest I do some register reports from earlier ancestors (including as much or as little as you are inclined.) You need some of these to identify cousins who wouldn't appear in pedigree charts.

These go into the family binders where I store my documents.

Mabry Benson

theKiwi
24 July 2006, 10:53 PM
I'm not ready to turn my files into a book yet, but recent computer misadventures have made me wish for a hard copy backup of my data as well as the DVD backups I have. And because it's not for publication, I'd like to make a comprehensive hard copy that's also quickly done. But given the flexibility of Reunion and its many printing options, I can't figure out the fastest way to do this. Has anybody done such a print-out? Mine isn't an enormous file - only about 800 people. Is this an 800 page document, or are there ways to compress it without losing a drop of data?

Well my take on this would be to spend a fraction of the time you spend figuring out what to print and then printing it on just adopting a very stringent backup regime. Multiple backups in multiple places on maybe several types of media is surely easier to setup, and infinitely easier to recover from than piles of paper?

My Reunion files are backed up onto 2 other hard drives on my G4 (which has 4 hard drives in it), my wife's eMac, and our iBook, and a FireWire drive which lives in a fireproof safe in the basement, with copies of the files stored on .Mac too.

I do not foresee me attempting to print it all out.

Roger

SGilbert
25 July 2006, 12:14 AM
With over 4,000 on my side, and over 12,000 on wife's side, it would be near impossible to "hard copy" everybody! Besides, even if I had such, it would take me years to re-enter my data!

Save a copy of the family file(s), regularly, to an external HD or CD. I do both.

Tom Robinson
31 July 2006, 05:04 AM
With over 4,000 on my side, and over 12,000 on wife's side, it would be near impossible to "hard copy" everybody! Besides, even if I had such, it would take me years to re-enter my data!

Save a copy of the family file(s), regularly, to an external HD or CD. I do both.
Completely agree, to say nothing about saving the trees. Remember to keep a copy offsite as well.

I regularly distribute books on the various branches to distant family members, partly in the hope that something will survive.

I've also spelt out in my will who I want my genealogy research distributed to (family members with a copy to the Society of Genealogists in the UK (open to better suggestions)).

Tim Powys-Lybbe
31 July 2006, 06:34 PM
Completely agree, to say nothing about saving the trees. Remember to keep a copy offsite as well.

I regularly distribute books on the various branches to distant family members, partly in the hope that something will survive.

I've also spelt out in my will who I want my genealogy research distributed to (family members with a copy to the Society of Genealogists in the UK (open to better suggestions)).

Before now I understand that a pantechnicon has appeared at the doors of the Society's premises with all the papers from a lifetime of researching. The Society's premises being relatively small this caused no little embarrassment. Your executors should at least be asked to discuss with the Society what they can accommodate.

But I don't think there would any problem if all your data were put on a CDROM - or DVD. Or even you might discuss it with the Librarian now. It was, after all, one of the original objects of the Society to hold the work of past members.