PDA

View Full Version : Publishing Options Using Reunion?

BrannonSG
17 March 2005, 12:14 AM
I've been writing up short family history articles on a blog web-site. These articles have been well received by others in my extended family. I keep the articles relatively short, but put together they form narratives that I'm beginning to think could be pulled back together and published in book format.

Since I use Reunion as my central tool for research and documentation, and since have been using the built-in notes for family timelines and psuedo-narratives, I'd like to continue to use them as I expand these family history narratives.

What I'd like to do is capture each family story, along with photographs imbedded in the text, within Reunion. I forsee each of these family narratives as one or more chapters.

If I can do this, then should I decide to publish, it would hope to have less work to produce the final document.

Is anyone else doing something like this? Can it be done? Any advice?

Thanks,
Steve

Bill McQuary
18 March 2005, 06:02 PM
Steve,

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask whether you would have less work producing a book because you have used Reunion to "capture each family story, along with photographs imbedded in the text" and that you "forsee each of these family narratives as one or more chapter."

I'm sure you will have saved time by drafting and organizing the book's contents, but I don't think what you've captured using Reunion can be considered a manuscript. If your book is to be a collection of family stories you are closer to the finished product than you are if you want it to be a family history.

In either case, though, you have to transfer the information (text and graphics) in Reunion to a word processor or page layout application and add certain features (table of contents, photo captions, index, etc.) that aren't included in your Reunion file.

I've written family illustrated history pamphlets based on information documented in Reunion and found it useful to copy and paste information from Reunion into my page layout program, Adobe InDesign. I have no graphic files in Reunion since my objective is to produce commercially printed publications and requirements for printed graphic files vary widely from file requirements for the Web and computer viewing.

In any event you must decide how your book will be published before you can gauge what remains to be done and how much time documenting your research in Reunion has saved.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Dennis J. Cunniff
18 March 2005, 10:13 PM
I've written family illustrated history pamphlets based on information documented in Reunion and found it useful to copy and paste information from Reunion into my page layout program, Adobe InDesign.Bill,

I wonder if you have any InDesign template files you've used for family history booklets that you'd care to share. I'm just starting to work with InDesign and it's a steep learning curve. Or do you have a tutorial book that you'd recommend?

Dennis

BrannonSG
19 March 2005, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure what you mean when you ask whether you would have less work producing a book because...Bill,

Thanks for the reply. In the past I used a genealogy program that had a "Make A Book" feature. It would take all of your notes, plus the key events recorded for your ancestors, and produce a simple manuscript.

I was hoping that someone had found a way to duplicate this type of function within Reunion. Some report format that would output your notes, and multimedia items (such as photographs) within those notes.

I guess I didn't explain it very well, and I don't think there's a way to do this with reunion. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks again,
Steve

Bill McQuary
23 March 2005, 05:29 PM
I wonder if you have any InDesign template files you've used for family history booklets that you'd care to share. I'm just starting to work with InDesign and it's a steep learning curve. Or do you have a tutorial book that you'd recommend?Dennis,

I have a copy of "Real World InDesign 2" by Olav Martin Kvern and David Blatner that I use as a reference. It's excellent and a later edition, for InDesign CS, is available. Check it out on Amazon.com or a similar Web store.

I use InDesign to "create" layouts for my pamphlets that I'm impressed by in magazines like "Smithsonian." I've always felt that replicating good designs suitable for one's own purpose is good training and produces nice results.

As for sharing templates, that may be problematic. I can try if you will provide an email address. Since you may not have the same OpenType fonts I use, you will have to substitute others.

Regards,
Bill

Dennis J. Cunniff
23 March 2005, 11:34 PM
I have a copy of "Real World InDesign 2" by Olav Martin Kvern and David Blatner that I use as a reference. ...

I've always felt that replicating good designs suitable for one's own purpose is good training and produces nice results.

As for sharing templates, that may be problematic. I can try if you will provide an email address. Since you may not have the same OpenType fonts I use, you will have to substitute others.Bill, Thanks for the suggestion on the Kvern book, and for the idea of practicing by trying to replicate other layouts. I clearly need something to give me a jump-start! If you're willing to try, my e-mail address is in my sig now.

juadro
02 September 2005, 02:22 PM
I see six months have passed since a message has been added to this thread, but, I see, also, that it addresses one of my deeper interests regarding my genealogy hobby ... perhaps I should be putting this reply on the wish list.
How do I tell a story, or shall I say, how do I throw in my long introduction to the "read between the fields"-story that's in a Reunion database? In my introduction I would explain my attitude towards accuracy, privacy, enjoyment, forcasting the future, etc., etc.
I realize the above messages are telling me how, but ... Is it out of the question for the Reunion software to become a 'suite' that would allow me to make a document that can be turned into a movie or a book? I can imagine having my document say, "Published by Reunion" - if there are legal aspects to that, I am not knowledgable in those matters - and should probably refrain from joking around, here, at the end of my post.
Thank you,
Robert Steuer

STEVE
02 September 2005, 09:36 PM
...How do I tell a story, or shall I say, how do I throw in my long introduction to the "read between the fields"-story that's in a Reunion database? In my introduction I would explain my attitude towards accuracy, privacy, enjoyment, forcasting the future, etc., etc.
>>>Beginning at the beginning. My "Publishing" is typically a one-up for some specific person who just doesn't do computer. These "books" are bound in three-ring binders, the kind with clear covers so I can print up a topical front, back and spine.<<<

When I publish, I like to publish in sections. First up is a quickie introduction describing what is inside, usually done up as a letter to the requester. Then a table of contents (I tabulate the books). Then comes an extensive introduction where I carefully describe my methods, abbreviations, style, philosophy and intent. Then come a set of printouts directly from Reunion (charts, graphs, Family and person sheets, whatever all...) ordered top-down. Finally is the index and any necessary appendices.

I realize the above messages are telling me how, but ... Is it out of the question for the Reunion software to become a 'suite' that would allow me to make a document that can be turned into a movie or a book?...Personally, I would much rather the ReunionFolk spent their time developing Reunion as a Genealogy program. I have excellent word processing and layout programs to do those tasks. Likewise programs to deal with pictures and movies. No need for the ReunionFolk to reinvent those programs. Writing the powerful database that Reunion is should be plenty to keep them happily occupied --- and all of us grateful.

STEVE

juadro
03 September 2005, 12:46 PM
Well said, Steve, thank you.

dianedassow
14 August 2006, 06:18 PM
I create personal history books in InDesign, and from time to time a client wants to include a family tree, for which they provide the data. I have created a Reunion chart that is two (portrait oriented) pages in length and would like to try to "place" it in InDesign as two (landscape oriented) pages so the chart will flow from the left-hand page to the adjoining right-hand page.

Any ideas?
Thank you.

Grampa Mike
14 August 2006, 07:41 PM
I host my website on my Mac. I use RapidWeaver to create the website. Once the website is created I add a folder called Reunion in the Sites folder. I then copy everything from the folder created by Reunion's Create Web Family Cards to it. (Make sure you are creating an index.html file). Finally I go to RapidWeaver and add an iFrame called Genealogy with a pointer to the full external path to the above mentioned Reunion folder. The last step is to export the changes from RapidWeaver.

I don't know if this would work with a site hosted elsewhere but it works fine for a site hosted on my Mac.

Grampa Mike

marnen
15 August 2006, 03:26 PM
That sounds like it should work anywhere, but beware...iframes don't work well in some browsers.

Dana Spear
29 January 2007, 02:18 AM
I am not yet an owner of this program, but will be getting it for my birthday. I am a big digital scrapper, mac fan, and I love family history as well. I like to create photo books and have them professionally bound. I am so excited to find Reunion 8 that allows you to save charts as a jpeg. I can easily use those jpeg files to create my family history books.

I use blurb.com; they have a free downloadable program, and the prices and quality can't be beat. After uploading the finished book to their website, the book remains on the site for at least a year, and other people can buy it directly from the website. This company is also great for making blog books. I recently had a 160-page book of our family reunion published. Everyone family that was there got a copy for Christmas. There are other places that create books that you can professionally bind, such as the Apple iPhoto books, but this is the only company I have found that can print up to 440 pages (for under $100).

I've been working on a photo book of my grandma, who immigrated from Norway in 1903. I've been trying to figure out a way to include some of the pedigree charts and family group sheets into the book without having to scan in paper documents. I can't wait to get my copy of Reunion 8. Now I will be able to publish family history books that all my family can purchase and enjoy.

I just wanted to share this info with anyone who is looking for ways to publish their family history. I can't wait to get Reunion 8.