PDA

View Full Version : Using Acrobat w/ Reunion

James Mariner
16 March 2005, 06:12 PM
I find that Kinko's can print a banner-type descendant chart directly from an Acrobat file. Thus, my question: Is it possible to convert a descendant chart into Adobe Acrobat format? The alternative, as I see it, would be to print the 60 pages or so of the chart, tape them together, and then have Kinko's copy the taped up banner with one of their roller copiers. Or, is there a better way?

Raizel
16 March 2005, 08:57 PM
I find that Kinko's can print a banner-type descendant chart directly from an Acrobat file.

if you are using Max OSX, you can print a PDF file instead of sending to printer. It's readable by Adobe and Mac Preview

kyuck
16 March 2005, 11:10 PM
If you are using an older (8.6 - 9.x) OS you can use "Print to PDF" a Chooser document.

James Mariner
18 March 2005, 10:31 AM
Thank you to Raizel and Kyuck for such quick and useful responses to my question. It seems so obvious, now, but I just had never noticed that little button and the bottom of the dialog box.

Julianne
19 March 2005, 12:04 PM
I am interested in figuring out how to do this because I've used the Kinkos banner service before and it is a very inexpensive way to print out big documents.

To experiment, I just created a descendant chart in Reunion that was 12 pages: 2 pages wide by 6 pages deep. When I changed it to a .pdf file, it arrived in Acrobat divided into 12 pages. How does one make the file one big page? I tried creating a custom paper size in Acrobat, but that didn't work.

Julianne

Dennis J. Cunniff
19 March 2005, 12:15 PM
I just created a descendant chart in Reunion that was 12 pages: 2 pages wide by 6 pages deep. When I changed it to a .pdf file, it arrived in Acrobat divided into 12 pages. How does one make the file one big page? I tried creating a custom paper size in Acrobat, but that didn't work.

Julianne

Julianne,
Try creating the custom paper size in Reunion rather than in Acrobat. Then print it to Acrobat. Works for me.

Rob_McAlear
19 March 2005, 07:33 PM
Julianne,
Try creating the custom paper size in Reunion rather than in Acrobat. Then print it to Acrobat. Works for me.

Wow, I didn't know Reunion had this feature!! I tried playing with it this morning, but did not find the "custom paper size." Otherwise, pretty cool.

Julianne
19 March 2005, 09:26 PM
Julianne,

Thanks Dennis! I played with it and got it worked out.

I found the "Custom Paper Size" option in the "Page Setup" menu under "Settings". I had trouble until I figured out that I needed to hit "Save" after I'd created a new size and not just "ok".

iullman
20 March 2005, 09:44 AM
Any advantages to using Heartland Graphics (http://www.familygraphics.com/) as compared with Kinkos (or another printer)?

Ian

idfitter
20 March 2005, 01:42 PM
Can anyone recommend a UK based printer for family trees?

I've had a look at www.kinkos.co.uk, but there are no prices listed and the details of widths etc. are a bit vague.

David G. Kanter
21 March 2005, 02:22 AM
Can anyone recommend a UK based printer for family trees?
I've had a look at www.kinkos.co.uk, but there are no prices listed and the details of widths etc. are a bit vague.As this and the previous posting by iullman are on a new topic--not directly related, I suggest, to this thread, as titled--I'll be posting my responses in a new thread on this forum. (ReunionTalk Guidelines: "Use appropriate message titles. If a thread drifts off the original topic, start a new thread")

Link to new thread: Click here. (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=150)

James Mariner
29 March 2005, 12:25 PM
Julianne,
Try creating the custom paper size in Reunion rather than in Acrobat. Then print it to Acrobat. Works for me.It seems that no matter what I do, I still get page breaks w/ a margin around each page. I've used "Custom Paper Size" (I named it "Banner") for a chart whose page size is 30" x 45", and margins set at 0". I've tried it in Reunion before saving as a PDF, and also in Acrobat after opening the PDF file. It still comes out with page breaks and margins. What am I missing here?

Dennis J. Cunniff
29 March 2005, 01:07 PM
It seems that no matter what I do, I still get page breaks w/ a margin around each page. I've used "Custom Paper Size" (I named it "Banner") for a chart whose page size is 30" x 45", and margins set at 0". I've tried it in Reunion before saving as a PDF, and also in Acrobat after opening the PDF file. It still comes out with page breaks and margins. What am I missing here?If you've created a chart that is 30" x 45" (get the size from getinfo when chart is open):

go to Page Setup -> Settings -> Custom Paper Size. Create a "New" paper size (call it 30x45 or whatever) by setting the height to 30 and width to 45, (btw, I wouldn't use margins of 0, more like 0.25 and include them in the size) click "OK" and "Save".

now go to Page Setup (again: the first time created the new paper size but didn't actually change to it) -> Paper Size and select "30x45".

Go to File -> Print -> PDF

And that should get the job done.

It's all done within Reunion. Once you're in Acrobat it's too late!
I'm guessing you missed the second visit to "Page Setup".

James Mariner
06 April 2005, 11:33 PM
now go to Page Setup (again: the first time created the new paper size but didn't actually change to it) -> Paper Size and select "30x45".

Go to File -> Print -> PDF Now, I've been successful in creating a banner (33"x280") from Custom Page Size and "printing" it to a PDF file. The icon that appears on the desktop shows it's an Adobe PDF, and Get Info tells me the file is some 43 Mb is size. However, when I open it in Acrobat, the banner shows up with nothing on it (even when I zoom in). If I open it in Preview, everything shows up. Since it does not open with the information showing in Acrobat, Kinkos cannot print it, of course. I have been able to solve each little stumbling block that I've encountered, but now I seem to be stuck again.

ttl
08 April 2005, 10:46 AM
Now, I've been successful in creating a banner (33"x280") from Custom Page Size and "printing" it to a PDF file... However, when I open it in Acrobat, the banner shows up with nothing on it (even when I zoom in). If I open it in Preview, everything shows up.I think you've run into a page size limitation in Acrobat. I'm not sure the exact size limit, but it's somewhere on the south side of 100".

Urs Geiser
08 April 2005, 05:14 PM
I think you've run into a page size limitation in Acrobat. I'm not sure the exact size limit, but it's somewhere on the south side of 100".Adobe technical document 325825 http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/325825.html indicates a 200"x200" page limit for Acrobat 5 (I couldn't find anything for more recent versions).

James Mariner
09 April 2005, 07:15 PM
Adobe technical document 325825 http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/325825.html indicates a 200"x200" page limit for Acrobat 5 (I couldn't find anything for more recent versions).In view of my efforts, this makes sense. Indeed, I have successfully printed two other banners, both of which were in the realm of 150-180". Moreover, an attempt to do this one when I accidentally put in a length of 200" DID appear on the screen, unlike the longer versions.

Bob White
09 April 2005, 08:48 PM
Adobe technical document 325825 http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/325825.html indicates a 200"x200" page limit for Acrobat 5 (I couldn't find anything for more recent versions).I just checked the help file on my Acrobat 6. It is still the same. I don't if Acrobat 7 will change this as the the help file indicates the reason for this particular size max is to retain compatability with Acrobat 3.

Dennis J. Cunniff
09 April 2005, 09:36 PM
I just checked the help file on my Acrobat 6. It is still the same. I don't if Acrobat 7 will change this as the the help file indicates the reason for this particular size max is to retain compatability with Acrobat 3.For what it's worth, the "help" file for Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional says that custom sizes of up to 15,000,000 inches by 15,000,000 inches.

James Mariner
11 April 2005, 04:44 PM
For what it's worth, the "help" file for Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional says that custom sizes of up to 15,000,000 inches by 15,000,000 inches.
Thanks for all of the information. The size limitation was, in fact, the key. The Acrobat 7.0 update should more than fix this stumbling block.