PDA

View Full Version : Making DVD's of files

msatter
11 July 2006, 11:11 PM
Does anyone know if DVD's can be made that will play on both Macs and Windows machines? Several of our family only use Windows machines. I thought it would b nice to copy the family file or chart to DVD for everyone at our upcoming reunion in August if possible.
Thanks for any advice on this issue.

Mary Beth Satterfield
msatter@cableone.net

Tim Powys-Lybbe
12 July 2006, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know if DVD's can be made that will play on both Macs and Windows machines? Several of our family only use Windows machines. I thought it would b nice to copy the family file or chart to DVD for everyone at our upcoming reunion in August if possible.

Mary Beth Satterfield
msatter@cableone.net

The easiest thing for the whole family file is to use the Create tab for Web Family Cards. The result can be used on any machine that has an internet browser, even Unix or RISC OS.

For charts, you can make a large chart by defining a large sized bit of paper, A2 size of 42 cm by 59.4 cm works well for me. Then create a chart to fill that piece of paper - you can get as many as 300 people on it, depending on the font size and the amount of information you include. Finally print it, but instead of printing choose the PDF option and create a PDF file and put that on the DVD (or CD) as well. Nearly every operating system these days will read PDF files, including windows. I do this successfully with OS X 10.4.7; I am not sure how much of it you can do with earlier Mac Operating Systems. If you want to see how some of these large PDF files look, I have a few on my local server, one being: http://southfarm.plus.com/pedigrees/pdfs/ferrand.pdf

travisrick
12 July 2006, 07:44 PM

Mary Beth Satterfield
msatter@cableone.net
Mary, there is a thing called Toast Titanium that will let you burn c/d or dvd for a PC or a Mac. I just recently made a family file for one of my kin. What you want to do in open Reunion and go to "create" and make a register report and save it to your desktop or some place so you can find it easily. When you open Toast , you will see that the program opens to the Data window. Drag that register file into that window and drop. At the bottom of Toast you will see a big red ball. Press it to start the transfer to the blank C/d or DVD that you have in the drive. It will let you know when it has been completed. Toast is great but if you don't have it, it will cost about 45.00 to download. I hope this will work for you. Mary, one more thing. When you open Toast, choose the correct button on the left of the screen. There will be a button that is called "Mac & PC". Maskman

Frank Mitchell
13 July 2006, 04:53 AM
Mary, there is a thing called Toast Titanium that will let you burn c/d or dvd for a PC or a Mac.

I know this is what 'travisrick' meant but, just to be clear, Toast Titanium will burn a CD or DVD which can be read on both a PC **and** a Mac.

Frank

Bob White
13 July 2006, 08:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with Toast. However, why spend the extra $$ when:

"Burning a CD or DVD
The Finder can burn files to a CD or DVD. You can then use that disc as a backup, send it to friends, or copy those files to another machine. By default, Mac OS X burns discs in a format that can also be used on Windows computers and other types of computers."

This is a quote from the Finder Help file.

Personally, I like Toast for the extra things it can do. It does a nice job with setting up labels for example.

martha
14 July 2006, 02:19 AM
...Toast Titanium will burn a CD or DVD which can be read on both a PC **and** a Mac.

Frank

I am a bit confused here. Won't your Mac computer automatically burn a CD or DVD to a duo platform? Why buy Titanium Toast?

Martha
http://www.avotaynu.com/books/tamar.htm

msatter
14 July 2006, 08:02 AM
Thank you to everyone who gave me help with this issue. I think I can get the job done now. Mary Beth Satterfield

Matt Falvey
16 July 2006, 05:07 AM
The easiest thing for the whole family file is to use the Create tab for Web Family Cards. The result can be used on any machine that has an internet browser, even Unix or RISC OS.

For charts, you can make a large chart by defining a large sized bit of paper, A2 size of 42 cm by 59.4 cm works well for me. Then create a chart to fill that piece of paper - you can get as many as 300 people on it, depending on the font size and the amount of information you include. Finally print it, but instead of printing choose the PDF option and create a PDF file and put that on the DVD (or CD) as well. Nearly every operating system these days will read PDF files, including windows. I do this successfully with OS X 10.4.7; I am not sure how much of it you can do with earlier Mac Operating Systems. If you want to see how some of these large PDF files look, I have a few on my local server, one being: http://southfarm.plus.com/pedigrees/pdfs/ferrand.pdfHi Tim, I have tried using your tip below to put a chart on an A2 size sheet and print /save as a pdf. I can see what you have achieved and it looks good. My use of charts if very very basic and although I did manage to get the family onto a chart, I could not find a way to change the orientation from top to bottom as it seems is the default to the across the page horizontal format that you have on yours. Could I be a pain and ask you to explain how the orientation is done, how you managed to get it onto two sheets, how you managed to get the coat of arms, the coat of arms text and the sources text onto it too?
I had a good read of your message and looked through the Reunion examples but could not find anything that remotely covered what I need.

You can contact me off list if you wish.

Thanks

Matt Falvey
Perth W Australia

Stephen Hill
16 July 2006, 01:56 PM
Hi Tim, I have tried using your tip below to put a chart on an A2 size sheet and print /save as a pdf. I can see what you have achieved and it looks good. My use of charts if very very basic and although I did manage to get the family onto a chart, I could not find a way to change the orientation from top to bottom as it seems is the default to the across the page horizontal format that you have on yours. Could I be a pain and ask you to explain how the orientation is done, how you managed to get it onto two sheets, how you managed to get the coat of arms, the coat of arms text and the sources text onto it too?
I had a good read of your message and looked through the Reunion examples but could not find anything that remotely covered what I need.

You can contact me off list if you wish.

Thanks

Matt Falvey
Perth W Australia

Ditto Tim

Steve

Tim Powys-Lybbe
17 July 2006, 07:25 PM
Hi Tim, I have tried using your tip below to put a chart on an A2 size sheet and print /save as a pdf. I can see what you have achieved and it looks good. My use of charts if very very basic and although I did manage to get the family onto a chart, I could not find a way to change the orientation from top to bottom as it seems is the default to the across the page horizontal format that you have on yours. Could I be a pain and ask you to explain how the orientation is done,

Reunion has enormous flexibility, like all flexible programs this means it can be complicated to find everything; you have to spend time trying everything out. Anyhow when you are editing a chart, go to the menu bar at the top of the screen, click on 'Tree', then on 'Orientation', then click inside the box labelled 'Orientation' and from the menu select Top-T0-Bottom

how you managed to get it onto two sheets,

That comes without trying. Just makie the font bigger or put more people on the chart.

how you managed to get the coat of arms,

Find a graphic on your hard disc. Ensure it is in JPG format (I do not know what other formats Reunion will handle but it will handle JPG), select it and then on the top menu bar of the Finder do 'Edit' then 'Copy'. Then get back to your Reunion chart and do, on its top bar, 'Edit' then 'Paste'. You will probably then have to alter its size and get rid of the frame and shadows.

the coat of arms text

From the Reunion top menu bar, do 'Edit' then 'Add Text' then 'Caption'. Some text will appear near the top left of your Reunion window, edit it to suit.

and the sources text onto it too?

As the previous item. But you can do 'Copy' from a text document and then paste into a caption.

Get hold of the manual and give your self time to go through everything one by one. If there is still anything you cannot do, just ask here. Reunion has enormous facilities and takes time to learn so it is worth spending that time. I think Reunion is so good that when Generations folded on PCs I went and bought a Mac and Reunion so that I could continue using the same environment.

Macworthy
11 August 2006, 11:26 AM
Has anyone tried using the PDF chart that Tim has shown us, using iWeb?

I haven't used iWeb much and I just did a quickie chart and it doesn't seem to keep the chart in pdf format once it's uploaded. It looks like a small photo file. Although I could be doing something wrong, and I HAVEN'T read the help section of iWeb yet, but I am getting ready to!

I like the idea of what Tim has done. Thanks for sharing.

Sandy D.