PDA

View Full Version : can I transfer Reunion 5 on OS 9.2 to OS X 10.4.6 and if so how

donaldm
08 July 2006, 12:22 AM
When I purchased my OS X I transferred everything from OS 9.2, with the exception of Reunion 5, not because I did not want to, but I couldn't find the secret. I normally operate in OS X, with OS 9.2 off. When I want to use Reunion 5 I have to reopen OS 9.2, which would not be a problem, except that with 9.2 operational it won't let me use my scanner! So I have to restart OS X, which cuts out 9.2. It is not a major problem, just an annoyance.

Reunion 5 is fine as far as I am concerned, I check back with SLC now and again for the odd missing person, but mainly it is used to answer questions from family members and to add new children and grandchildren. It was an upgrade from Reunion 4.

If I can get it all on OS X, 10.4.6, will it make a difference in sending it to PC users?

David G. Kanter
08 July 2006, 02:04 AM
When I purchased my OS X I transferred everything from OS 9.2, with the exception of Reunion 5, not because I did not want to, but I couldn't find the secret. I normally operate in OS X, with OS 9.2 off. When I want to use Reunion 5 I have to reopen OS 9.2, which would not be a problem, except that with 9.2 operational it won't let me use my scanner! So I have to restart OS X, which cuts out 9.2. It is not a major problem, just an annoyance.Although I gather your Mac (model unspecified) has a dual-boot capability, you shouldn't have to be re-booting between OS X and OS 9. OS 10.4.6 has the capability to run the "Classic" environment while booted into OS X. (The "Classic" environment is OS 9 that can be started and stopped within OS X.) Check your System Preferences and in the "System" group, you should find "Classic". As you have OS 9 on your computer, normally, launching a pre-OS-X application (such as Reunion 5) while booted into OS X should automatically start up "Classic"--which you could then stop, if you wish to, after working in Reunion 5. (If for some reason that isn't happening--and you can't start "Classic" with your current OS 9 installation from the System Preferences->Classic--I'd check the installation disks you got for OS 10.4 as there should be one that contains the installer for the "Classic" environment. After ensuring you have working backup--just in case--running that installer should fix things.)

Reunion 5 is fine as far as I am concerned. . .mainly it is used to answer questions from family members and to add new children and grandchildren. It was an upgrade from Reunion 4.

If I can get it all on OS X, 10.4.6I'm not sure what you're asking, but if using "Classic" under OS X isn't sufficient--and it wouldn't be for me--then you need an OS X-native Reunion (i.e., Reunion 8). While I appreciate the use you describe doesn't require the other, new, capabilities of Reunion 8, I have posted what I believe are other reasons to upgrade (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?p=1283#post1283) beyond the enhanced experience you'll find from being able to run only under OS X!

will [getting it all on OS X] make a difference in sending it to PC users?No and yes. As a minimum, whatever products you are now using to get your information to Windows users (e.g., charts, reports, GEDCOMs) would remain the same; however, you'd find that Reunion 8 provides much improved products to share with others--especially as its integrated Chart Editor is very easy to use and, yet, very powerful. Also, I don't remember whether Reunion 5 had the ability to create a Relative Chart, but if it didn't, I'd suggest that fact alone would make it worthwhile to upgrade. It's my first choice when I want to share family information with another person--especially if it's not another genealogist who wants a data transfer for their genealogy program. (Use a copy of your Family File [or a portion of it], along with a copy of your multimedia-linked items, if the other person is running your version [or a later one] of Reunion; a GEDCOM in other instances.)

donaldm
09 July 2006, 12:54 AM
I have no problem between OS X 10.4.6 and Classic. Both are installed, and I usually operate in OS X. My Reunion 5 is in Classic. When I want to use Reunion, I have to open Classic but then it won't permit me to use my scanner. I have to restart,(reboot), which takes me out of Classic and puts me back into OS X, where my scanner then works. This is more of an annoyance than anything else, which is why I am asking if there is a way to transfer Reunion 5 directly from Classic into OS X.

While I am not contemplating the jump to Reunion 8 I would not be happy to find that I might still lose the use of the scanner when I am using Reunion.

The problem is not between Classic and OS X, it is between Classic and my scanner. The scanner is a Canon LIDE. My computer tech couldn't find a way to move Reunion to OS X which is why I come to the Reunion experts.

David G. Kanter
09 July 2006, 04:32 AM
I have to restart,(reboot), which takes me out of Classic and puts me back into OS X, where my scanner then works.You shouldn't have to restart/reboot to stop Classic if Classic started from within OS X (i.e., after you had booted under OS X); just "stop" Classic. You can do that within System Preferences->Classic where there's a Stop button if Classic is running, or you can enable the option there to have the Classic status show in the menu bar--where there'll be a pop-down menu with, as appropriate, "Start", "Stop", and "Restart" items.

This is more of an annoyance than anything else, which is why I am asking if there is a way to transfer Reunion 5 directly from Classic into OS X.You can't "transfer" Reunion 5 into OS X, but if you mean to transfer from having used Reunion 5 under Classic and then, when you're done with Reunion, to be able to stop Classic (so your scanner will work) and be left with OS X running, what I've described above should do that with one click/selection of "Stop" for Classic.

While I am not contemplating the jump to Reunion 8 I would not be happy to find that I might still lose the use of the scanner when I am using Reunion. The problem is not between Classic and OS X, it is between Classic and my scanner. The scanner is a Canon LIDE. My computer tech couldn't find a way to move Reunion to OS X which is why I come to the Reunion experts.I think there's a terminology problem with your use of "transfer" or "move". Working backwards:

---Your Reunion 5 is not a native OS X program; it won't run directly with OS X. Instead, as you are doing, it runs under the Classic environment within OS X.

---For what it's worth, I have a CanoScan LiDE 35 scanner which works perfectly with my OS X. While I don't use any Canon software, I use my PhotoShop Elements 3--an OS-X-native application--to "talk" to the scanner (it was plug & play to do that and PhotoShop Elements reports it's using TWAIN software to communicate with the scanner) and I would believe (but haven't tried) that GraphicConverter X--another OS-X-native application--would work, too. I'd expect that by now Canon has a native-OS-X version of their software if you wish to go that route, but for me, as I'd want to use a "real" graphics program to work on my scans, I'm happier avoiding their software. (So far, the only functionality I haven't tried to get to work are the 1-touch buttons on the front of the scanner, but as initiating a scan with PhotoShop Elements is a 1-menu-item procedure, I don't feel I've lost anything I need.)

--So my suggestion is just to get Reunion 8. As its installation CD will install the native OS-X version of Reunion 8 if it find your computer was booted under OS X, you'll never have to start up Classic and, thus, you shouldn't lose the use of your scanner while Reunion is running. I believe you'll find the reduced price for upgrading will be money very well spent.

If I'm still not understanding your problem(s), please try again.

donaldm
10 July 2006, 02:31 AM
Thanks, until I decide to go for the upgrade to 8, ($64.95 USF is a bit more for us in Canada),I'll keep on as I am doing. As most of what I am doing with it now is updating all families by births and deaths, it isn't getting the usage it once did. Thanks again for your explanations. Much appreciated.