PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Quest Access

S. Kennedy
01 July 2006, 10:37 PM
A year ago I subscribed to the Godfrey Library for the purpose of having access to Heritage Quest data. The Godfrey has lost that access and I remember that several alternate low cost sources were mentioned at the time. I am wondering if anyone knows if any of the alternate sources have also been or are likely to be suspended by Heritage Quest. Access is not available through my local library and I would like to find another reasonable source. However I would hope to avoid paying a membership to have the same thing happen again.

Susan Assmus
02 July 2006, 09:50 AM
This notice is appears on the website for the Ohio Genealogical Society at http://www.ogs.org/research/index.php
"Recently ProQuest (the company that owns HeritageQuest Online) announced that they will no longer provide remote access to members of genealogical and historical societies. Beginning 1 July, OGS members will no longer have access to HeritageQuest from home.

OGS paid for and signed a new contract with ProQuest in March; this contract allowed for members to have access through June 2007. However, ProQuest just informed OGS that they are not going to honor that contract. Instead, they are considering 30 June 2006, the end of the current contract, as the last day that OGS can provide members access from home."

Sharon Lunde
03 July 2006, 07:51 PM
Many local libraries have subscriptions to Heritage Quest with remote access, as do many LDS family history centers. Call your local library or family history center.

Celia
03 July 2006, 09:21 PM
I have on-line access to Heritage Quest through memberships in the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society ($60/year):

http://www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org

and the New England Historic Genealogical Society ($75/year):

http://www.newenglandancestors.org

In my opinion, if you have New England ancestors, the NEHGS is the best bargain on the internet. They have thousands and thousands of records digitized (including their "Register" which has been published for about 150 years) and fully available to members.

Celia Snyder

John M. Leggett
03 July 2006, 09:44 PM
This notice is appears on the website for the Ohio Genealogical Society at http://www.ogs.org/research/index.php
"Recently ProQuest (the company that owns HeritageQuest Online) announced that they will no longer provide remote access to members of genealogical and historical societies. Beginning 1 July, OGS members will no longer have access to HeritageQuest from home.

OGS paid for and signed a new contract with ProQuest in March; this contract allowed for members to have access through June 2007. However, ProQuest just informed OGS that they are not going to honor that contract. Instead, they are considering 30 June 2006, the end of the current contract, as the last day that OGS can provide members access from home."

This situation is illustrative of what is happening all too often. What begins as a free resource for researching genealogy and asks everyone to help by uploading their family data is turned into a profit-making venture that is no longer available to anyone unless a fairly steep fee is paid.

If the statement is accurate that a valid contract was established between OGS and ProQuest and now is being abrogated by ProQuest, it should be a simple matter to remedy the situation in court.

Personally, I will not pay anyone anything to acquire data because it is the only way to avoid situations like this--to say nothing of false promotion by some genealogy businesses. I prefer to exchange information with other researchers.

One fact forgotten by many using commerical ventures is that even the LDS files are not checked for accuracy but simply posted as submitted. Maybe someone knows of a site that does anything different--but I don't. In other words, data from a 'pay or subscription site' is no more likely to be accurate than data from a friend who spoke with your Aunt Susie just before she died.

Don Wilke
04 July 2006, 07:35 PM
A year ago I subscribed to the Godfrey Library for the purpose of having access to Heritage Quest data. The Godfrey has lost that access and I remember that several alternate low cost sources were mentioned at the time. I am wondering if anyone knows if any of the alternate sources have also been or are likely to be suspended by Heritage Quest. Access is not available through my local library and I would like to find another reasonable source. However I would hope to avoid paying a membership to have the same thing happen again.

Heritage Online and the changes in its access have been noted and discussed by Dick Eastman. He started The Encyclopedia of Genealogy a few years ago as a general information source about genealogy, and I have found it to be an invaluable source of information. He has a page about Heritage Online located at;

http://www.eogen.com/HeritageQuestOnline

To quote from that page,

"Remote In-home Access
The following is a list of some libraries that offer in-home access to HeritageQuest Online. Most of the libraries offer FREE access. If you know of an exception, please update the following list. If you know of more libraries that offer in-home remote access to HeritageQuest Online, please add them to this list:"

What follows is a state by state list of libraries that provide in-home access. I hope you find this page useful.

Don researching surnames:
WILKE, WIESE (Cleveland, Ohio & Prussia)
SANOR or ZYHNER (Columbiana County, Ohio; Pennsylvania & Alsace)
and the HILLs of Columbiana County, Ohio

kyuck
04 July 2006, 08:37 PM
Don researching surnames:
WILKE, WIESE (Cleveland, Ohio & Prussia)
SANOR or ZYHNER (Columbiana County, Ohio; Pennsylvania & Alsace)
and the HILLs of Columbiana County, Ohio
Don, I have a Wilke in my family tree but you didn't leave an email address. If you wish you can contact me.