PDA

View Full Version : DNA Tree - Ancestors and Collaterals Only

claires
01 September 2018, 06:04 PM
I'm trying to create a tree to share with DNA matches, with only my direct ancestors, their spouses and siblings. I've been going through my tree and removing branches but it's a slow, tedious process. Does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks much!

Claire

SGilbert
01 September 2018, 09:29 PM
All you have to do is mark your direct ancestors, create a gedcom of only marked people, then create a new family file from your gedcom.

Not sure how you are removing branches, but that is a dangerous task--and not needed.

Dennis J. Cunniff
01 September 2018, 09:42 PM
All you have to do is mark your direct ancestors, create a gedcom of only marked people, then create a new family file from your gedcom.

Not sure how you are removing branches, but that is a dangerous task--and not needed.

That wouldn't include siblings of ancestors. And it would be a gedcom, not a chart.

While it's not what was asked for, I think the best solution would be to mark your ancestors checking off the following:

unmark everybody first, mark source person, mark spouses, and mark descendants of ancestors (limited to 1 generation).

That's the file I'd share. It should contain everyone you want. I wouldn't try to put them all on one chart. If I needed to, I'd start by making a descendant chart limited to marked people from each of my treetop ancestors, and combine them.

claires
02 September 2018, 01:42 PM
That wouldn't include siblings of ancestors. And it would be a gedcom, not a chart.

While it's not what was asked for, I think the best solution would be to mark your ancestors checking off the following:

unmark everybody first, mark source person, mark spouses, and mark descendants of ancestors (limited to 1 generation).

That's the file I'd share. It should contain everyone you want. I wouldn't try to put them all on one chart. If I needed to, I'd start by making a descendant chart limited to marked people from each of my treetop ancestors, and combine them.

Thanks! That sounds like a good approach. Fingers crossed.

Claire