PDA

View Full Version : Cut/Copy/Paste

Sylvia Hall
26 June 2006, 08:48 AM
I seem to have and intermittent fault in Reunion.
There seems to be no apparent reason why it happens, it just puts itself right but is frustrating.
Sometimes I am unable to Cut/Copy/Paste information into Reunion cards. When it occurs I have tried pasting the same information into Appleworks Word Processing, Text Edit and Stickies which all accept the paste. Has anyone else had the same problem.

Frank Mitchell
27 June 2006, 04:09 AM
I seem to have and intermittent fault in Reunion.
There seems to be no apparent reason why it happens, it just puts itself right but is frustrating.
Sometimes I am unable to Cut/Copy/Paste information into Reunion cards. When it occurs I have tried pasting the same information into Appleworks Word Processing, Text Edit and Stickies which all accept the paste. Has anyone else had the same problem.
To keep my formats consistent I usually create a new source by duplicating and modifying an existing one.

On rare occasions, when I 'Select All' in the Free Form pane and paste new text it looks like gobbledegook. But when I 'Save' and reopen the source everything is OK.

No problem to me but it sounds similar to Sylvia's experience.

Frank

David G. Kanter
27 June 2006, 12:50 PM
. . .Sometimes I am unable to Cut/Copy/Paste information into Reunion cards. . . .. . .On rare occasions, when I 'Select All' in the Free Form pane and paste new text it looks like gobbledegook. But when I 'Save' and reopen the source everything is OK.

No problem to me but it sounds similar to Sylvia's experience.I'd welcome some clarification from Sylvia as to exactly what is/isn't happening--and in which field(s) in Reunion--when she does the paste operation and it doesn't work as it's not clear to me she's experiencing what Frank reports has happened to him. (I inferred from her post, perhaps incorrectly, that nothing happened when she did the paste, but I haven't experienced that or Frank's problem in Reunion.)

While I don't know whether it's applicable to Sylvia's problem, I've often found in some other applications that when I do a paste (using the keyboard shortcut of Cmd+v) and nothing happens, it's because--notwithstanding the appearance of the flashing insertion-point "pipe" character--the focus was not really on that field. In those cases, a click first in the field and then the paste command would produce the desired paste.

Sylvia Hall
28 June 2006, 08:07 AM
I'd welcome some clarification from Sylvia as to exactly what is/isn't happening--and in which field(s) in Reunion--when she does the paste operation and it doesn't work as it's not clear to me she's experiencing what Frank reports has happened to him. (I inferred from her post, perhaps incorrectly, that nothing happened when she did the paste, but I haven't experienced that or Frank's problem in Reunion.)

While I don't know whether it's applicable to Sylvia's problem, I've often found in some other applications that when I do a paste (using the keyboard shortcut of Cmd+v) and nothing happens, it's because--notwithstanding the appearance of the flashing insertion-point "pipe" character--the focus was not really on that field. In those cases, a click first in the field and then the paste command would produce the desired paste.

I am highlighting the text which I wish to paste into any field in Reunion although this is mainly into the notes area of a card.
I then select Edit Menu > Copy
then I place the flashing cursor at the point on the card where I want it to be pasted.
Then use shortcut Apple key V to paste into the area where I want the text to show.
As I said in my original posting it is only in Reunion that the text does not appear at all. It works most of the time but when it does not it is frustrating as I have to type in all of my information.
I have not had the problem Frank Mitchell mentioned

Tom Robinson
28 June 2006, 06:12 PM
I am highlighting the text which I wish to paste into any field in Reunion although this is mainly into the notes area of a card.
Is it consistent with the application you're copy the text from? If so, which app?

STEVE
28 June 2006, 11:16 PM
I then select Edit Menu > Copy
then I place the flashing cursor at the point on the card where I want it to be pasted.
Then use shortcut Apple key V to paste into the area where I want the text to show.
As I said in my original posting it is only in Reunion that the text does not appear at all. It works most of the time but when it does not it is frustrating as I have to type in all of my information.
I have not had the problem Frank Mitchell mentioned

I haven't experienced this in Reunion, I've been doing OCR and translations for the past several years, and linking the stuff to existing entries for the most part. But I have noticed a tendancy for system ten to NOT pick up (copy) materials unless it happens to be in the mood. This happens to me a lot moving stuff from one window to another, or if the data are on different drives or you are trying to move material between programs. I automatically hit "copy" two or three or four times any more, hoping that Sys X will condensend to actually do a copy. Lots of times my hopes are in vain. So I'd be hesitant to blame Reunion for this behavior.

STEVE

Sylvia Hall
30 June 2006, 09:02 AM
Is it consistent with the application you're copy the text from? If so, which app?

I am copying text from Appleworks and pasting into Reunion family card.
The problem does not seem to be with the copying of the text but with the pasting.
Pasting is only a problem in Reunion, this is intermittent and is work well at this time.

Derrick
30 June 2006, 10:04 AM
Perhaps this isn't what's happening, but this happens to me when both applications are not open when I do the cut. If I cut, and then to got the dock and open a word processor, and then paste, the clipboard for some reason does not retain the text to be pasted. Both have to be open first.

marnen
30 June 2006, 11:18 AM
I had a weird general problem with cutting and pasting recently, somewhat like what you describe. A reboot solved it. You might also want to run Software Update and reset the PRAM while you're at it.

PRAM (parameter RAM) holds certain settings, and weird things can happen if it gets corrupted. To reset it, just turn the computer off and hold down Command-Opt-P-R (yes, all at the same time) as you turn it on. Keep that key combo held down until you hear the startup chime 2 or 3 times.

Edit: Steve, other than this one instance, I've never had any issues at all with copying and pasting. I wonder if you've got some bigger problem going on.

marnen
30 June 2006, 11:19 AM
Perhaps this isn't what's happening, but this happens to me when both applications are not open when I do the cut.

As far as I know, this is not normal behavior. You might want to talk to a Mac Genius about it.

Tom Robinson
03 July 2006, 05:13 AM
But I have noticed a tendancy for system ten to NOT pick up (copy) materials unless it happens to be in the mood.
I'd try to narrow down exactly where your copy/paste problems are occurring--it's certainly not endemic with OS X.

Tom Robinson
03 July 2006, 05:20 AM
I am copying text from Appleworks and pasting into Reunion family card.
Maybe it's a particular type of copied data, which other apps can handle but not Reunion.

See if you can narrow it down further, i.e., a particular document or type of document, maybe how much you're copying at a time, a particular destination field on the family card...

Boule38
04 July 2006, 08:05 PM
Those functions do not work (CMD

STEVE
05 July 2006, 06:39 PM
I'd try to narrow down exactly where your copy/paste problems are occurring--it's certainly not endemic with OS X.

They are occurring, pretty clearly, with system ten. Typically, if you are going to copy between two different software entities, both MUST be open before paste will work in the newly opened program.

This however is a problem that, while frustrating, I can live with. What I can't/won't live with is the fact that OS X sorts in an entirely irrational manner. Much of my (non-genealogical) work involves sorting, and I have to go back to OS 9 to have the sorts done. NOT a good situation, and not one that it sounds like Apple engineers are going to be able to fix. BAD! Very, very bad!

STEVE

STEVE
05 July 2006, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Boule38]Those functions do not work (CMD

Tom Robinson
05 July 2006, 11:04 PM
What I can't/won't live with is the fact that OS X sorts in an entirely irrational manner.
Once again this is a rather open-ended statement. Telling a mechanic that your car doesn't go properly isn't going to help him find the problem ;-)

If you mean the sorting of files and folders in the Finder, with OS X Apple has tried to make it English like, so a list of numbered items appears:

Whereas in OS 9 this would have been:

Unfortunately this quickly falls apart in other situations.

If you can elucidate about the particular situation where this is a problem for you, someone may be able to suggest an alternative.

Tom Robinson
05 July 2006, 11:07 PM
They are occurring, pretty clearly, with system ten. Typically, if you are going to copy between two different software entities, both MUST be open before paste will work in the newly opened program.
As I said, try to narrow it down and somebody may be able to help. You may find it's a particular application or document which is having problems.

Tom Robinson
05 July 2006, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=Boule38]Those functions do not work (CMD

STEVE
07 July 2006, 01:55 AM
...If you can elucidate about the particular situation where this is a problem for you, someone may be able to suggest an alternative.

A specific? OK. How about leading zero's. Highly significant in some cases. Often used to force sorting in almost any computer system. OS X studiously ignores leading zero's as if they weren't numbers. This makes several extensive collections of my USELESS ---- and I really don't want to reinvest the hundreds (or thousands) of hours I spent creating the databases/collections.

How about I have a folder with sorted contents? I send new items to the folder. Are they appended neatly to the end of the list? Are they sorted according to the last sort I created? Neither. The files are dropped willy-nilly, at random over the top of the existing list so that I can't even find them, much less pick them up to move them.

How about, well, I could go on and on, but none of this is genealogy. If you're interested in continuing this thread... stevebyarsISATearthlink.net.

:-) STEVE

Tom Robinson
07 July 2006, 08:44 PM
A specific? OK. How about leading zero's. Highly significant in some cases. Often used to force sorting in almost any computer system. OS X studiously ignores leading zero's as if they weren't numbers. This makes several extensive collections of my USELESS
If you mean the Finder, I'm not seeing this. I agree the OS X Finder is trying to be too smart, but a test folder sorted fine for me:

How about I have a folder with sorted contents? I send new items to the folder. Are they appended neatly to the end of the list? Are they sorted according to the last sort I created? Neither.
Again, this seems to be specific to your situation. I have a lot of Finder windows variously sorted by modification date, creation date, name, label, comment, and they always resort when new items are added to them (only Windows has that strange behaviour of overriding the sort order for new items, and drops them to the bottom).

Some examples would help me understand... and _why_ this renders your collections useless--there are alternatives to the Finder which may be applicable.

(From past experience other people are often interested in these discussions, so I'm replying to the list)

Cheers

Mike Stupinski
10 July 2006, 07:48 PM
Again, this seems to be specific to your situation. I have a lot of Finder windows variously sorted by modification date, creation date, name, label, comment, and they always resort when new items are added to them (only Windows has that strange behaviour of overriding the sort order for new items, and drops them to the bottom).
As added info here, although what Tom says is true for windows in 'List' view, if they are in 'Icon' view they do not automatically re-sort when new files are added, at least not for me (in OS 10.4.7). Existing file icons are arranged alphabetically if I sort a window that way, but newly added files are not so arranged.

Tom Robinson
24 July 2006, 02:05 AM
As added info here, although what Tom says is true for windows in 'List' view, if they are in 'Icon' view they do not automatically re-sort when new files are added, at least not for me (in OS 10.4.7). Existing file icons are arranged alphabetically if I sort a window that way, but newly added files are not so arranged.
Mike, it sounds like you're confusing two functions:

1. If you select View -> Arrange By -> Name/Date/etc., the window contents are sorted *once* in the order you specify. New items are then appended to the end.

2. If you show the View Options for that window (command-J, or View -> View Options), you can specify a permanent sort order for either the current window or all windows.

Option 2 works fine for me under 10.4.7 when adding new files (i.e. the whole window gets resorted by name).

Cheers