PDA

View Full Version : Reunion Self Update

theKiwi
02 June 2018, 09:02 AM
Hooray!!!!

This morning when I opened Reunion 12 I was greeted with the familiar "an update is available" screen.

What impressed me was that now Reunion closes itself, downloads the update, applies it itself and then reopens - Hooray - a much simpler update process that doesn't leave my Downloads folder with multiple copies of the Reunion download.

Is this being done with Sparkle update frameworks?

Bravo!!

Roger

Frank
02 June 2018, 12:48 PM
Is this being done with Sparkle update frameworks?Yep!

Bruce Christopher
04 June 2018, 06:33 PM
now Reunion closes itself, downloads the update, applies it itself and then reopens - Hooray - a much simpler update process that doesn't leave my Downloads folder with multiple copies of the Reunion download.
Roger

Does this update method preserve the prior version of Reunion in the Applications folder? If not, I'm going to stick with the old method.

Gregg
05 June 2018, 09:36 AM
Does this update method preserve the prior version of Reunion in the Applications folder?Your existing copy of the Reunion application is updated in place, there are no older copies of Reunion saved.

Please note that we strongly advise against having multiple copies of Reunion on your system. If for some reason you need to access a previous build of Reunion you can always restore it from a Time Machine backup.

Bob White
06 June 2018, 02:38 PM
Frank or Gregg: A question. I only open Reunion a couple times monthly because I keep it running 24/7/365. So I mostly depend on the weekly check feature to let me know about updates.

My question is will the weekly check trigger an automatic update? If yes, can I turn it off as I don't want automatic updates on anything on my computers and other devices?

Gregg
06 June 2018, 03:02 PM
...will the weekly check trigger an automatic update?By 'automatic' I am assuming you mean that Reunion updates itself without your consent. Reunion does not do that -- and will never do an 'automatic' update.

What is being discussed here is Reunion doing a 'self' update that is triggered by you when you click the "Update Now" button in the Check for Updates window (which appears when an newer build of Reunion is available). There is nothing to turn off.

Instead of the old way -- being directed to a download page with install instructions to do the update -- Reunion will now do as Roger described: "Reunion closes itself, downloads the update, applies it itself and then reopens."

Beverly
06 June 2018, 05:51 PM
Hooray!!!!

This morning when I opened Reunion 12 I was greeted with the familiar "an update is available" screen.

What impressed me was that now Reunion closes itself, downloads the update, applies it itself and then reopens - Hooray - a much simpler update process that doesn't leave my Downloads folder with multiple copies of the Reunion download.

Bravo!!

Roger

I agree Roger. The new update process is elegant! Thanks Leister!

Bob White
06 June 2018, 08:41 PM
........What is being discussed here is Reunion doing a 'self' update that is triggered by you when you click the "Update Now" button............

Thank you for clearing that up.

DelbertCurlin
08 June 2018, 02:52 PM
Hooray!!!!

This morning when I opened Reunion 12 I was greeted with the familiar "an update is

Bravo!!

Roger

What is sparkle? Do not recognise.

Delbert curlin

Mark
08 June 2018, 06:04 PM
Sparkle is, in short, a way to for developers to easily distribute updates to users/a way for users to easily update their application.

Previously, to install a Reunion update you would need to go through this process (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/v12/questions/answers/install101.php).

With Sparkle, you click "Update Now" (in the "Help -> Check for Updates..." window), wait a few seconds (give or take) for the update to download and extract, then click "Install and Relaunch" and you're updated to the latest version.

You can find more information on their website (https://sparkle-project.org), though it's geared more towards developers.

HTH

Fairweather
19 June 2018, 09:49 PM
I can't finish the latest update- have tried at least 6 times.
Update Error
An error occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later.

Gregg
20 June 2018, 10:27 AM
I can't finish the latest update- have tried at least 6 times.
Update Error
An error occurred while downloading the update.If Reunion's self-update reports an error, then you should download and manually install the update.

You can download the update from here...
http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/v12/download.php

As a reminder, here is a video explaining how to manually install the update...
http://www.leisterpro.com/download/installR12_update.mp4

Please note that the instructions in the video are only for cases when the regular Reunion update fails.