PDA

View Full Version : MacAddict & Reunion

sdengle
05 June 2006, 05:35 PM
As an avid MacAddict (magazine) reader, I have noticed a couple of interesting things in the June and July 2006 issues! In the June issue there was a review of Reunion 8 (in my opinion, of questionable value written by someone who probably has done no serious genealogy research), and a demo version of Reunion 8 on the CD for OS 10.1.3 and up. The ad for "Reunion 8" was located in the ads near the end of the magazine, where it has been for years.

Today, I received the July issue, turned to the ads and noticed a change: a larger size ad for "Reunion" (no version number). Could this possibly mean that version 9 is now Really Close to being released??? (I hope, I hope, I hope...)

jimrite
06 June 2006, 07:52 PM
As an avid MacAddict (magazine) reader, I have noticed a couple of interesting things in the June and July 2006 issues! In the June issue there was a review of Reunion 8 (in my opinion, of questionable value written by someone who probably has done no serious genealogy research)...I agree that the review in MacAddict fell short of the mark. The reviewer liked the program but beefed about the price, which surprised me. Given the utility and elegance of the program, I suspect most users find it to be a great value.

genealogist.lily
07 June 2006, 07:14 PM
I agree that the review in MacAddict fell short of the mark. The reviewer liked the program but beefed about the price...Reviewer Robert Strohmeyer also complained that Reunion lacks direct links to online data bases. I'm delighted that it does!

Any researcher worth their salt can locate data bases applicable to their area of research. Newbies should not be relying on their genealogy program to lead them to a mind numbing, and extremely narrow list of suggestions!
Lily
in Canada

rstrohmeyer
20 June 2006, 01:58 PM
I don't normally respond to random snippets of criticism on the web, but I happened upon this thread and wanted to clear up an apparent misconception about my review of Reunion 8. While I did ding the app for its price and lack of research options, it's worth noting that I gave Reunion 8 a fairly glowing 4 out of 5 rating. In MacAddict's parlance, that's "Great." Please bear in mind that any serious product review necessarily includes a few critical remarks.

Best Regards,
Robert Strohmeyer

PS> While I don't consider myself an expert in the field of genealogy, I've been using genealogy software on PC's and Macs for a good 12 years or so and have a pretty clear grasp of what the industry has to offer.

Waystone
29 June 2006, 06:09 PM
I don't normally respond to random snippets of criticism on the web, but I happened upon this thread and wanted to clear up an apparent misconception about my review of Reunion 8.Thanks for taking the time! Like most avid software users, we can get a little over-protective of our favorite app. :D