PDA

View Full Version : Using MemoryMiner with Reunion

sashafaith
16 May 2006, 10:36 PM
I posted a message to the Genealogy section about this software, but think it also belongs here. From their site: "MemoryMiner 'Digital Storytelling Software' ...is a brand new application that represents the first step towards a long term goal: the creation of the world's most extensive network of first-person accounts of modern society and culture. Like all big ideas, it starts with a simple premise and a mass appeal for participation. MemoryMiner is an application used to organize and share digital media using a simple, yet powerful metaphor, namely "People, Places and Time."

It allows users to import photos from iPhoto or else where (it doesn't make a new copy it just links to it), the date is pulled in from iphoto (or you set it) then the person can "map" the picture with people imported from the Address Book (or - New Feature! add people from an exported Gedcom file with birthdates attached!). Places are imported from the address book or added by the user and can be mapped with satellite coordinates. At this point the user can export a file that generates a website with the photos, thumbnails and a Flash skin viewer. In the future the company hopes to have networks to allow collaboration between people. I have an example on my website now, and have linked each of my photos to the person's corresponding web page on my Family History site (generated by Reunion). It's hard for me to explain well - a website is worth a thousand words!

http://homepage.mac.com/sasha_faith/index.html

I've been using Reunion for years, started with iView Media Pro for organizing photos, but now use iPhoto extensively for photo organizaing. My husband told me immediately about MemoryMiner because it's right up my alley. Since it's release I've been trying it out and encouraging helpful features (like that Gedcom import). I'm thrilled with this new program and think Reunion, iPhoto and MemoryMiner all complement each other very nicely. (Though I'd still like a little more integration between Reunion and iPhoto) Is anyone else using it?

martha
18 May 2006, 02:39 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/sasha_faith/index.html

I've been using Reunion for years, started with iView Media Pro for organizing photos, but now use iPhoto extensively for photo organizaing. My husband told me immediately about MemoryMiner because it's right up my alley. Since it's release I've been trying it out and encouraging helpful features (like that Gedcom import). I'm thrilled with this new program and think Reunion, iPhoto and MemoryMiner all complement each other very nicely. (Though I'd still like a little more integration between Reunion and iPhoto) Is anyone else using it?

The idea is terrific, but it doesn't work yet. I went to your site, but it only partially came up - the bottom pictures never appeared. The place tags on the map were superimposed, one on the other, and it was not possible to get to all the map zoom-ins. But I can see that this is a fabulous idea when it gets all the kinks out!

jbkeene
18 May 2006, 06:30 PM
The idea is terrific, but it doesn't work yet. I went to your site, but it only partially came up - the bottom pictures never appeared. The place tags on the map were superimposed, one on the other, and it was not possible to get to all the map zoom-ins. But I can see that this is a fabulous idea when it gets all the kinks out!

It worked fine for me and looks great. Must be some bad interaction with your browser. I use Firefox.

kyuck
18 May 2006, 09:02 PM
Seems to work better with Firefox than with Safari.

elkriverken
19 May 2006, 07:26 AM
Using Safari, every feature worked beautifully. The overlapping tags were not a problem as each could be highlighted and came forward. A nice program.

LarryN
19 May 2006, 12:00 PM
Seconding other's opinions and reports, it worked fine with Safari 2.0 (and System 10.4.2)

TIA
19 May 2006, 07:38 PM
Is there any sound to it? I am not getting any sound while watching your images even though I have my sound turned up. I am very interested in MemoryMiner, as I have learned to do digital storytelling using conventional movie software(Final Cut Express). I have done two movies so far using still images, one about my mother's life and the other on why I came to live where I do.

Marilynn
19 May 2006, 08:16 PM
I can't get it to load with either Netscape, Firefox or Safari. Maybe it's my impatience in waiting for it to load. I have a dial-up account; running 10.2.8.
Marilynn

Shirley Westaway
20 May 2006, 02:14 AM
Seconding other's opinions and reports, it worked fine with Safari 2.0 (and System 10.4.2)

I don't have a problem either - it worked great. Interesting to see the maps, too.

sashafaith
20 May 2006, 05:30 PM
I can't get it to load with either Netscape, Firefox or Safari. Maybe it's my impatience in waiting for it to load. I have a dial-up account; running 10.2.8.
Marilynn

Hi Marilynn,

I think it might be the loading that's hanging it up. Even with my cable modem, sometimes I have a bit of a wait - I see white boxes. One day, on my cousins dsl I had a very hard time - but when I came home I saw that my home computer was logged into my .mac account where the files are loaded, and I think that can really slow it down. (though I might be wrong about that)

I use Safari, and have no problems viewing it except I have to wait a while at first.

sashafaith
20 May 2006, 05:33 PM

Regarding the place tags. When you view them from a certain zoom distance, they appear to be all on top of each other, but I think when you zoom in they spread out much better. Also, I have had it happen that a particular place (as I zoom in) just takes forever, or perhaps they don't have a good satellite image of that spot, so it doesn't seem to go. Still - I haven't seen anything quite like it, and hope you get to see it in action sometime

sashafaith
20 May 2006, 05:36 PM
Is there any sound to it? I am not getting any sound while watching your images even though I have my sound turned up. I am very interested in MemoryMiner, as I have learned to do digital storytelling using conventional movie software(Final Cut Express). I have done two movies so far using still images, one about my mother's life and the other on why I came to live where I do.

I do not have sound in it yet, but will someday. (That's going to be a little tricky. My sounds are part of a DVD I made of my grandmother and I doing a life story interview, which I put a little background music to, and showed relevant photos when she mentioned particulars. - i have to find a way to extract that sound and then match bits to some of the photos) For now, that's the only sound I would bother with - as I don't see the value in annotating the photos with my voice explaining them when the text tells what I need.

TIA
20 May 2006, 10:37 PM
When you do digital stories using video imaging software such as Final Cut Express or Adobe Premire, you first develop a script, then record your script (voiceover), then finally you move your digital images onto the time line to match up with the voiceover.

Here are links to a couple of examples:

http://www.storycenter.org/momquicktime.html

http://www.nextexit.com/drivein/driveinframeset.html

William Alba
24 December 2008, 02:16 AM
MemoryMiner is on sale today (12/24/08) until midnight Eastern time for 33% off at mupromo.com

The last post on this thread was written over two years ago -- does anyone have more recent experiences interfacing MemoryMiner and Reunion? Mostly I'm wondering how intuitive it is to create a useful multimedia document or webpage.

Tracy Phillips
24 December 2008, 11:43 AM
Here is the link

http://www.mupromo.com/deal/698/5801/memoryminer