PDA

View Full Version : Importing gedcom, losing accents in FTM

pauger
06 May 2006, 11:51 AM
I am unable to import a gedcom created with Reunion into FTM without losing all my French accents. Any suggestions?

Deb
08 May 2006, 09:58 PM
I am unable to import a gedcom created with Reunion into FTM without losing all my French accents. Any suggestions?Was the Gedcom file being imported into the Windows version of FTM?

If so, what Gedcom Character Set was selected in the "Gedcom Export" window when exporting the Gedcom file from Reunion?

For example, if it was set at "Macintosh," you may want to consider exporting it again using "Windows" or "ANSEL."

As quoted from the Reunion 8 manual:

"If your Gedcom file will be exported to a Windows or DOS genealogy program, you should choose Windows, MS-DOS, or ANSEL from the Gedcom Character Set pop-up menu. This will enable Reunion to perform an intelligent conversion between extended characters in the Macintosh character set and their closest equivalents in other character sets."

Additional information about selecting a proper Gedcom Character Set when exporting a Gedcom file from Reunion can be found by searching the manual for "export gedcom character set." (Incidentally, the manual can be accessed easily from within your family file by choosing "Help -> Search the Manual" or by clicking on the "Manual" button on the toolbar.)

If selecting a different Gedcom Character Set does not help, please let me know how the Gedcom file was transferred to FTM. (I.e. via flash drive, email attachment, CD-R, etc.)