PDA

View Full Version : entering city directory info

Raizel
14 March 2005, 05:00 PM
I searched city directories from 1907 to 1998 for my family name and found lots of entries. After weeding them out (mine, not mine, unsure), I entered them into Reunion by each person.

1) I made up a event category (bus/res) so now don't know what to do about a GEDCOM code for exporting (share/HTML conversion).

2) There may be between 2-20 entries for a person times the number of people found. Am I suppose to give each and every entry a citation? Doing that would create a book! Or can I collectively cite them "Might's Directory 1907-1998" where the detail for the person already gives the exact year.

JOHN DOE
Addr/Bus: 1910 Joe's Shoe Factory 123 Maple St | h: 393 Oak St (1)

Citation:
(1) Might's Directory 1907-1990 details and location of source.

AE Palmer
14 March 2005, 09:30 PM
My technique is to make one (1) source for each City Directory (book / year) and then to make as many citations as necessary. In the Citation "memo" field I enter the page the data has been found on. When I have a string of unbroken records (years) for a given individual, I enter only the citations for the first and last year found. I also indicate in the Notes field if the string of entries is unbroken or not.

As an aside, I have made up a series of rules for my research. That way I can keep my self from straying too far from my stated goal. Rule #7 of my miscellaneous notes states: "In all cases where a city directory has been used to document an individual and that person shows up in several consecutive years, only the first and last entry is entered. In some cases a single year or two may not appear in the directories. When such occurrences happen, the omission will be entered in the NOTES field."

Raizel
14 March 2005, 09:56 PM
My technique is to make one (1) source for each City Directory (book / year) and then to make as many citations as necessary. In the Citation "memo" field I enter the page the data has been found on. "

One thing I notice is using the memo field in Sources puts that note in the main body which I don't like. Footnote would be prefered but Reunion doesn't do footnotes. (Or maybe I don't know how) Thanks for your tips, they're helpful. I do want to condense the info!

conniegene
15 March 2005, 01:49 AM
As I have stated before, I am a newbie to genealogy...I have lots of information to begin with that came from my parents and a grandmother but am trying to verify the information, part of which is recollection. I have heard of city directories before, but where and how does one obtain access to the old ones, particularly if living cross country? I haven't yet investigated my local genealogical library so perhaps that may be a start?

Thanks for the help!

Raizel
16 March 2005, 12:15 AM
As I have stated before, I am a newbie to genealogy...I have lots of information to begin with that came from my parents and a grandmother but am trying to verify the information, part of which is recollection. I have heard of city directories before, but where and how does one obtain access to the old ones, particularly if living cross country? I haven't yet investigated my local genealogical library so perhaps that may be a start?

Thanks for the help!
I'm new to genealogy too! But, I started with my city directories for dates because my Mom's memory isn't great :) City directories are private publishers that list all the street names in a city/town and who lives there. The other part lists the A-Z names (personal & company), their occupation, home & work address -- if the information was obtainable. The publishers claim they obtained the information from personally going around but I seriously doubt that! I've never given them permission for my listing. Two that I know of are Bower's and Might's although thev've both ceased publication. Check your local library for either hard copy or microfilm of whomever may have been in your area. Might's goes back to the late 1800's to about 1998.

conniegene
16 March 2005, 01:05 AM
Thanks. What I am looking for is in Illinois but I am traveling back to my grandmother's birth place this June so will add that to the list of things to do, along with locating my gg and ggg grandparent's graves!

Kim
16 March 2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks. What I am looking for is in Illinois but I am traveling back to my grandmother's birth place this June so will add that to the list of things to do, along with locating my gg and ggg grandparent's graves!

Connie,
Where in Illinois are you ancestor-hunting? My ancestors spent quite a bit of time in Southern IL...as did I. Maybe I can point you to some sources you don't know about.

Urs Geiser
16 March 2005, 03:10 PM

If your trip takes you to Chicago, visit the Newberry Library (http://www.newberry.org/ - 60 W. Walton Street not far from the Watertower). They have a good collection of city directories (not only of Chicago but also many other places -- their online catalog lists 461 entries!) and a lot of other great genealogy resources.

Raizel
16 March 2005, 10:02 PM

Just a thought - if you're visiting a cemetery, find out if there's a transcription of it. If not, maybe offer to do one while you're looking. I just did a section (6 rows) while looking for some members. The local genealogical society & the synagoge the section belongs to were thrilled. Also gave copy to the local library that has a floor dedicated to genealogy.

conniegene
18 March 2005, 02:36 AM
Connie,
Where in Illinois are you ancestor-hunting? My ancestors spent quite a bit of time in Southern IL...as did I. Maybe I can point you to some sources you don't know about.

Going to the Galesburgy-Knoxville area. I have been in touch with the local historical society in addition to the wonderful information left by my grandmother. Have found quite a bit on line (Illinois has great transcriptions of marriages) but welcome any new information!

conniegene
18 March 2005, 02:38 AM
If your trip takes you to Chicago, visit the Newberry Library (http://www.newberry.org/ - 60 W. Walton Street not far from the Watertower). They have a good collection of city directories (not only of Chicago but also many other places -- their online catalog lists 461 entries!) and a lot of other great genealogy resources.Thanks for the info...not going to be near Chicago on this trip but my sister gets there fairly regularly so perhaps I can offer that task to her. Have been interested in the Newberry Library since it was mentioned in Time Traveler's Wife.

conniegene
18 March 2005, 02:40 AM
Just a thought - if you're visiting a cemetery, find out if there's a transcription of it. If not, maybe offer to do one while you're looking. I just did a section (6 rows) while looking for some members. The local genealogical society & the synagoge the section belongs to were thrilled. Also gave copy to the local library that has a floor dedicated to genealogy.That has entered my mind since I haven't found the cemetaries online. Also want to do one in a semi rural area where my in-laws are buried (Seattle area). Thanks for the encouragement!

AE Palmer
04 April 2005, 07:33 PM
One thing I notice is using the memo field in Sources puts that note in the main body which I don't like. Footnote would be prefered but Reunion doesn't do footnotes. (Or maybe I don't know how) Thanks for your tips, they're helpful. I do want to condense the info!For the record, it is possible to move the memo information to the end of the citation. The toggle for making the change is buried in the OPTIONS > REPORTS menu.

MabryBenson
04 April 2005, 10:47 PM
1) I made up a event category (bus/res) so now don't know what to do about a GEDCOM code for exporting (share/HTML conversion).I would make this a Note rather than an Event. Notes can take a much longer string of text than can Events.

Gedcoms will use any kind of fact or event or note that you make up. You give it the name you call it. Note that when you export into a gedcom, all source refernces are dumped at the end, not scattered thru as Reunion can't do. That is a major pain. But someone long ago suggested a solutions - type{ or some character around each source #. Those stay in place and you can move the numbers back into place. (But a pain for a lot of sources.)

Judy Kilgore
06 April 2005, 01:32 AM
For the record, it is possible to move the memo information to the end of the citation. The toggle for making the change is buried in the OPTIONS > REPORTS menu.Wow! I didn't know you could do this. I just got rid of all those superscripted notes (details in sources) in the body of my reports. The down side is that it increases the number of sources at the bottom. Every time you add a new detail note to a source it repeats that source with the new note. But that's okay. The report looks a lot better. For those of you still using Reunion 7 (like me) it works in that version too. Thanks for the great tip!

Judy in Newnan, GA