PDA

View Full Version : Montreal city directories

Bill Sheridan
26 April 2006, 10:13 PM
The city directories for Montreal, Quebec, Canada are online, I just learned last week. Although the website is French-language based, there is enough English to make navigation easy. The earliest year available online for Lovell's Montreal Directories is 1842, the latest year 1992.

Biblioth

Stephen Hill
27 April 2006, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Sheridan]The city directories for Montreal, Quebec, Canada are online, I just learned last week. Although the website is French-language based, there is enough English to make navigation easy. The earliest year available online for Lovell's Montreal Directories is 1842, the latest year 1992.

Biblioth

SGilbert
27 April 2006, 09:16 PM
Last time I looked, Montreal and Vancouver were on opposite ends of Canada.

City directories are lists of all known persons and businesses at a given point in time. Included addresses. These are private ventures, and, as such, contain MANY advertisements.

LarryN
29 April 2006, 01:03 PM
In my day job, I am head of the Genealogy and Local History Room at Rochester NY Public Library. We have put the directories for Rochester online from 1827-1899 at present http://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/citydirectories.html. These are the complete directories. We have completed through 1930, and they are in process. However we had to stop at 1930 because the city legal staff said that was the cutoff for public domain. Maps of the city are also available online at Rochester Images, and they are useful for census work.

latblumr
29 April 2006, 08:08 PM
City directories are gold mines for genealogists when you locate them. The earlier ones usually give a head of household name, occupation, home and work addresses. It is a wonderful way to track families over time, which I have done for my Detroit, MI and St.Thomas, Ontario ancestors. Don't overlook them as a source.

Jackie Smith
Sonoma, CA

Frank Mitchell
29 April 2006, 08:48 PM
What are city directories? Would they enable me to find lost friends in Vancouver - last heard of c1958?
There are several phone directories from around the world on line which you can search for people. One you can try for lost friends in Canada is

http://canada411.com/

Good luck

martha
02 May 2006, 03:35 PM
In my day job, I am head of the Genealogy and Local History Room at Rochester NY Public Library. We have put the directories for Rochester online from 1827-1899 at present http://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/citydirectories.html. These are the complete directories. We have completed through 1930, and they are in process. However we had to stop at 1930 because the city legal staff said that was the cutoff for public domain. Maps of the city are also available online at Rochester Images, and they are useful for census work.

THank you for letting us know, Larry! I will spread the word. What a terrific boon! I have lots of family from Rochester, so this is lovely.

Martha