PDA

View Full Version : Number of entries at WorldConnect v number of individuals in Reunion

Steven
25 April 2006, 06:36 PM
I regularly upload a gedcom to WorldConnect. I generate the gedcom using Reunion 8.06.

Some people in my file have requested their details not be put on the internet, so I flag those people accordingly so that I can unmark them, and so not include them in a gedcom.

I've recently uploaded a fresh gedcom to WorldConnect. The number of 'marked' individuals in Reunion was 43,511 (out of a total 43,663). However when visiting my WorldConnect file following a gedcom upload, the number of 'entries' shown is 43,906.

Does anyone know what would be causing the difference?

I've asked WorldConnect, and their answer was that if I have people with an Alias or 'Also Known As' completed, it's probably generating another NAME tag in the gedcom, and therefore the WorldConnect' system counts this as an additional entry. However I've checked Reunion and the gedcom itself, and the completion of an Alias creates the gedcom tag ALIA, not NAME. Besides, 456 individuals within my Reunion family file have content in the Alias field, with the difference between the marked individuals in my family file and the number of entries at WorldConnect being 395.

Anyone have any clues? My WorldConnect file is here...

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=sknowles

Cheers, Steven

Gregg
26 April 2006, 08:55 AM
The number of 'marked' individuals in Reunion was 43,511 (out of a total 43,663). However when visiting my WorldConnect file following a gedcom upload, the number of 'entries' shown is 43,906.

Does anyone know what would be causing the difference?The first thing that I would try would be to import that Gedcom file into a new empty family file. Then you can see just what got sent to WorldConnect.

Steven
27 April 2006, 08:16 AM
The first thing that I would try would be to import that Gedcom file into a new empty family file. Then you can see just what got sent to WorldConnect.

Thanks for the suggestion Gregg, which I've followed.

Since posting my initial question, a few more people got added to my tree, so the numbers have changed slightly but still a discrepancy.

--------------------
Total number in family file = 43,669
Number of marked people for gedcom export = 43,517
Number of 'Entries' at WorldConnect immediately following fresh upload = 43,913
Number of entries in a newly created empty family file after importing same gedcom = 43,523
--------------------

I guess this raises an additional question, why is there six more people than there should be in the newly created family file??

I've been wondering whether comparing Person IDs might help, but if I look at the highest numbered person in my original family file (43,669), this same person is now the highest numbered person in the newly created family file, ie. 43,523. I thought Person IDs were supposed to stay the same?!

Anyway, happy to hear of any further ideas so I can figure out whether there's some more sinister underlying problem.

Cheers, Steven

Gregg
27 April 2006, 09:29 AM
Total number in family file = 43,669
Number of marked people for gedcom export = 43,517
Number of 'Entries' at WorldConnect immediately following fresh upload = 43,913
Number of entries in a newly created empty family file after importing same gedcom = 43,523
--------------------

I guess this raises an additional question, why is there six more people than there should be in the newly created family file??
I would guess that you have some people marked whose spouses are not marked. Unmarked spouses of marked people will be exported.

I thought Person IDs were supposed to stay the same?!Reunion will not attempt to maintain person ID numbers when importing a Gedcom file.

Steven
27 April 2006, 11:03 AM
I would guess that you have some people marked who's spouses are not marked. Unmarked spouses of marked people will be exported.

Aha. Thanks Gregg. That seems to explain the six person difference between the number of marked people in my original family file, and the number of people in the newly created family file after importing the gedcom. I did a 'Find Anything' on the original family file, with conditions set to find those that were flagged 'Do Not Publish' AND those that had # of Marked Spouses More Than Zero, and the result was six people.

But I guess the jury's still out on the reason behind the big difference in gedom people numbers and WorldConnect 'entries'. Is there anyone else out there who uploads their gedcom to WorldConnect <http://wc.rootsweb.com>? Do your gedcom people numbers match WorldConnect 'entries'?

Cheers, Steven

theKiwi
27 April 2006, 01:06 PM
But I guess the jury's still out on the reason behind the big difference in gedom people numbers and WorldConnect 'entries'. Is there anyone else out there who uploads their gedcom to WorldConnect <http://wc.rootsweb.com>? Do your gedcom people numbers match WorldConnect 'entries'?

If you really want to solve this mystery, do the following...

Download your GEDCOM back from World Connect.

Import that into a new family file in Reunion so that you now have to "identical" files.

From each file do this:

Open the index to show all. Sort by Last Name, First Name Mid Name
Set the number of columns down to 3 or 4 - Last Name, First and Mid Names, Birth, Death
Click on Report ------> Destination Plain Text File and save the file.

Open each of these files in Excel.

Copy the columns of data from one, and paste them into the other beside the existing data. So you'll end up with say the first 8 columns with data in them.

Now in the first cell in the 9th column create a formula like this

=if(AND(A1=E1,B1=F1, C1=G1,D1=H1),"OK","OOOPS")

Copy this formula down the whole column.

If the names and birthdates in each group of 4 columns match, then the 9th column will contain OK. If there's a discrepancy, the 9th column will say OOOOPS.

If you only want to compare on the names, leaving out the dates since Excel doesn't do old dates very well, just use the first two = conditions in the above so you have

=if(AND(A1=E1,B1=F1),"OK","OOOPS")

You can then do a Find in Columns looking for the first OOOPS to find the first "problem" That will tell you the first person who was in the World Connect that you didn't think you exported. Then you can try and figure out where they came from.

I've never used WorldConnect, but is it possible that when you upload your GEDCOM file it doesn't empty out what's there already, but does a match and merge or something? For example if you export people A and B and upload that to WorldConnect, you'd expect to see 2 people. If in your file you change person B's name by adding a middle name, or changing the spelling of his last name, and upload two people again, you'd actually now have 3 people at WorldConnect - A and two versions of B?

Since WorldConnect shows more people than your family file in total has, the "problem" is clearly with WorldConnect and not Reunion.

Roger

Steven
28 April 2006, 12:33 PM
If you really want to solve this mystery, do the following...

Download your GEDCOM back from World Connect.

<snip>

Loved the idea Roger, and I gave it a go. Thanks very much for doing all the hard work with the IF statements.

It didn't resolve anything unfortunately, but I'll have a guess as to why. I think when I retrieve my gedcom from WorldConnect, I'm retrieving an exact copy of the gedcom that I uploaded. That is, the retrieved gedcom is still in a form prior to whatever process WorldConnect applies to it in order to turn into a WorldConnect file with a greater number of 'entries'.

I think your idea would work if I could have the WorldConnect people turn the WorldConnect file back into a gedcom, so that I'm comparing gedcoms AFTER WorldConnect has done its thing to one of them.

<snip>

I've never used WorldConnect, but is it possible that when you upload your GEDCOM file it doesn't empty out what's there already, but does a match and merge or something? For example if you export people A and B and upload that to WorldConnect, you'd expect to see 2 people. If in your file you change person B's name by adding a middle name, or changing the spelling of his last name, and upload two people again, you'd actually now have 3 people at WorldConnect - A and two versions of B?

Since WorldConnect shows more people than your family file in total has, the "problem" is clearly with WorldConnect and not Reunion.

Roger

I agree that it must be something WorldConnect does. Your thought prompted an idea, and that was to create a new profile at WorldConnect, but upload the same gedom. This should get rid of any potential baggage being retained within my existing WorldConnect profile.

The result was pretty much the same, except this time I end up with 43,928 WorldConnect 'entries', which is 15 more than last time!!?

Hmmmm. I think I've spent enough time on this. If I leave it alone long enough, the problem should go away by itself :-)

Cheers, Steven