PDA

View Full Version : GEDCOM email problem

Oldtimer
12 April 2006, 01:10 PM
I have tried for several weeks to attach a GEDCOM copy of my file to an email and send it to a fellow genealogist. However I have been unable to finde an ISP that will accept the email.

Seems they all have some email detecter that blocks the gedcom from being sent.

Any suggestions?

David G. Kanter
12 April 2006, 01:21 PM
I have tried for several weeks to attach a GEDCOM copy of my file to an email and send it to a fellow genealogist. However I have been unable to finde an ISP that will accept the email.

Seems they all have some email detecter that blocks the gedcom from being sent.

Any suggestions?As a GEDCOM file is just a structured text file, it

theKiwi
12 April 2006, 02:05 PM

What size is the GEDCOM file?

Many ISPs have limits on the size of a file attached to an eMail - 3 MB, 5 MB etc.

Compress the file first using either StuffIt or the zip archiving (better, especially if the file is going to a Windows user) built into later versions of Mac OS X - this will make it appreciably smaller - and then try sending it.

Roger

Oldtimer
12 April 2006, 05:21 PM
I should have included in my original query that the original genealogy file on my hard drive is 10.5 meg. When exported in the GEDCOM 5.5 format the file is reduced to 5.6 meg.

My ISP space is 10 meg and I established an email account in hotmail of the same size and it would not send the file with the same attachment. When I affixed the attachment and hit enter it would not execute the command. The window just sat there as if I had not executed the command.

I have also tried sending the same file to other people - with the same results.

I also downloaded Reunion's latest upgrade, remade the attachment - same results.

theKiwi
12 April 2006, 10:59 PM
I should have included in my original query that the original genealogy file on my hard drive is 10.5 meg. When exported in the GEDCOM 5.5 format the file is reduced to 5.6 meg.

My ISP space is 10 meg and I established an email account in hotmail of the same size and it would not send the file with the same attachment. When I affixed the attachment and hit enter it would not execute the command. The window just sat there as if I had not executed the command.

I have also tried sending the same file to other people - with the same results.

I also downloaded Reunion's latest upgrade, remade the attachment - same results.

A few comments:
Just because you have a 10 MB space at your ISP, doesn't mean you can send messages that are 10 MB in size.
Did you compress the file and then try sending the compressed file? - a 5.6 MB GEDCOM should compress down to probably around 1 MB, possibly even less.

Roger