PDA

View Full Version : Family Data Storage on ReunionTouch

David Crawford
02 March 2016, 09:29 PM
I have been using Reunion Touch on both my iPad and iPhone for several months. (It's great!) However, I have recently been getting very close to my storage limit on both devices (16GB on the iPhone & 32GB on the iPad). I believe the only space used by Reunion Touch is for the app itself (about 655MB) and all the family file data is stored on Dropbox. Am I correct? Or, is my family data also stored on my devices and using some of the storage space?

theKiwi
03 March 2016, 12:30 AM
DropBox is a copy of the file that is on your iDevice.

The family file, and associated image files are using space on your devices.

Roger

David Crawford
03 March 2016, 01:24 AM
Thank you. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but it explains why my storage space on each device is filling up. I can delete some apps that I seldom use and create additional storage, but I'll probably need to upgrade to larger capacity devices later in this year.

Nice to hear from a fellow Michigander! Thank you again.

Mark
03 March 2016, 02:45 PM
Note that you can potentially reduce the amount of space that the family file takes up on your device by following this FAQ (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/version11/questions/answers/largeff.php), though that depends on whether or not you have images attached to people/family/sources via the Multimedia feature.

HTH

David Crawford
04 March 2016, 12:52 AM
Note that you can potentially reduce the amount of space that the family file takes up on your device by following this FAQ (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/version11/questions/answers/largeff.php), though that depends on whether or not you have images attached to people/family/sources via the Multimedia feature.

HTH

Thanks Mark. The explanation helps a lot. However, I am still having trouble understanding how much storage space is being used on my devices. For example, on my iPad, under Storage & iCloud usage, it says Reunion Touch is using 654MB. My Reunion 11 report says that my Large Thumbnails are using 566MB and Small Thumbnails are using 66MB of space. (I have zero space being used for Sources.) Finally, Dropbox says the size of my Reunion 11 files are 881MB. Is this enough information to determine how much storage space in total is being used on my iPad by Reunion Touch and all the family data files? I have some storage space remaining on my iPad, but I plan to continue to add multimedia items.

mjashby
04 March 2016, 08:01 AM
David,

On your iPad:

Choose 'Settings' > 'General' > 'Storage & iCloud Usage' > 'Manage Storage' (under the Storage section) and scroll down the Apps list to see what space is being consumed by each app. I suspect there is a culprit other than ReunionTouch unless you have an enormous number of image files, but without knowing what apps you use, or what activities you use your iPad for, it's impossible to guess what!

Mervyn

Mark
04 March 2016, 11:58 AM
For example, on my iPad, under Storage & iCloud usage, it says Reunion Touch is using 654MBThis is how much space is being used by the app on your iPad. Note that this includes the app itself, which is about 33MB.

HTH

Roberta Martin
10 March 2016, 09:47 AM
I, too, am having problems with storage limits on Dropbox. When I went into Dropbox to make sure I only had Reunion in my storage, I realized all of my images are there in triplicate, or so it appears. I have attached a screenshot of one example. Is this what it is supposed to do? If this is not right, what do I do to fix it?

Gregg
10 March 2016, 10:34 AM
Is this what it is supposed to do? If this is not right, what do I do to fix it?This is correct.

The first set of images (in the host.media folder) is there because these images were added after you began sharing this family file with a mobile device. These images most likely have the largest file sizes and will go away if you reset sharing. File -> Sharing Status / Reset.

The second set of images (in the thumbnails_src_large folder) are large thumbnails of the original images in the first set. These image files should be smaller than the original images in the host.media folder -- but will always be present unless you omit large thumbnails for sources.

The third set of images (in the thumbnails_src_small folder) are small thumbnails of the original images and most likely have very small file sizes. These will also not go away unless you omit them.

For details on optimizing space used by thumbnails, search the manual for "rebuilding thumbnails".

Roberta Martin
10 March 2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks Gregg!