PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding of index even if there has been no crash

SAINT GIRONS
13 March 2005, 11:02 AM
Hello from France to all of you,

Very often, when I wish to open my Reunion file, the index needs rebuilding which takes some time. It happens after a crash and this I can understand, but as well with no crash at all.
I am using a Powerbook G4 with version 10.3.8 and Reunion 8.05 (I don't know yet why, but I cannot update to 8.06).
Has anyone encountered the same problem and is there something to do to fix it ?

Many thanks for your help

Jean-Michel Saint Girons
Paris - France
jmsaintgirons@free.fr

Steve W. Jackson
13 March 2005, 07:48 PM
Hello from France to all of you,

Very often, when I wish to open my Reunion file, the index needs rebuilding which takes some time. It happens after a crash and this I can understand, but as well with no crash at all.
I am using a Powerbook G4 with version 10.3.8 and Reunion 8.05 (I don't know yet why, but I cannot update to 8.06).
Has anyone encountered the same problem and is there something to do to fix it ?Except for post-crash, I would be generally suspicious of any situation that requires a rebuilding of the index. Perhaps you should let Reunion check the file for errors. If it finds none, you might also try saving a compact copy, which will remove the index along with (I think) found lists and perhaps some other items. Then, you can set aside the original while you open the new copy and see if it behaves better. Note that the first time it's opened after the copy, it will require an index rebuild, but otherwise that should be an exceedingly rare thing.

= Steve =

Eirik StrÝm
24 March 2005, 04:35 PM
Actually there are situations where Reunion regenerates an index that may not immediately be connected to a previous program failure.

A.
As indicated by Steve Jackson: Using the menu choice

Bob White
24 March 2005, 11:47 PM
Jean-Michel: Welcome from "sunny" California (glug-glug...). How long has it been since you repaired permissions on your trusty Mac? Many problems trace back to not letting the Mac run long enough for the underlying UNIX to do its regular housekeeping. Go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. Fire it up and do some housekeeping and see if any problems go away.