PDA

View Full Version : banner printing has margin interuption

Herb Goodman
02 April 2006, 03:17 PM
I have created a family tree and printing on Epson 1280 in banner format. It does the banner print but at every 11 inch measurement is a 0.5 inch blank skip area, which I assume must be a margin. How do i get rid of the blank so that I will have a continuous flow?

theKiwi
02 April 2006, 05:02 PM
I have created a family tree and printing on Epson 1280 in banner format. It does the banner print but at every 11 inch measurement is a 0.5 inch blank skip area, which I assume must be a margin. How do i get rid of the blank so that I will have a continuous flow?

How long is the chart overall?

You can use the Page Setup for the Epson printer to create a page size up to 44 inches long, so if your chart is less than 44 inches, create a Custom Paper Size that is the length of the chart plus and inch or so. Then the chart will fit on one page with no interuptions.

If the chart is longer than 44 inches, then figure out a sensible way to print it on the minimum number of equal sized pages - eg - 66 inches long, put it on 2 pages 33 inches long 100 inches put it on 3 pages 34 inches long, etc etc.

Then when you go to print, Print the first page and stop. Open the printer cover, find the large plastic gear wheel on the left side (that's where it is on my 1270) and wind the paper back into the printer by the width of the gap that you've already measure.

Now print the second page - it should now join up perfectly. This is very easy if you have Reunion set to move boxes off the page breaks so that the only thing going over the page break is a horizontal line.

Repeat for each page.

Cheers

Roger

Herb Goodman
05 April 2006, 01:29 PM
How long is the chart overall?

You can use the Page Setup for the Epson printer to create a page size up to 44 inches long, so if your chart is less than 44 inches, create a Custom Paper Size that is the length of the chart plus and inch or so. Then the chart will fit on one page with no interuptions.

If the chart is longer than 44 inches, then figure out a sensible way to print it on the minimum number of equal sized pages - eg - 66 inches long, put it on 2 pages 33 inches long 100 inches put it on 3 pages 34 inches long, etc etc.

Then when you go to print, Print the first page and stop. Open the printer cover, find the large plastic gear wheel on the left side (that's where it is on my 1270) and wind the paper back into the printer by the width of the gap that you've already measure.

Now print the second page - it should now join up perfectly. This is very easy if you have Reunion set to move boxes off the page breaks so that the only thing going over the page break is a horizontal line.

Repeat for each page.

Cheers

Roger

Roger,

Thaks for your help. Question: Specifically, if my chart is 8.5 high and 100 inches long, do I set the custom page at 8.5tall x 33wide, set for landscape and print page 1 to page 1, dial back margin over the skipped area, and then print page 2 to page 2?
Thanks for your help.

Herb

theKiwi
05 April 2006, 02:32 PM
Question: Specifically, if my chart is 8.5 high and 100 inches long, do I set the custom page at 8.5tall x 33wide, set for landscape and print page 1 to page 1, dial back margin over the skipped area, and then print page 2 to page 2?

Create a Custom Page that is 8.5 x 34 (you need 3 of them to be longer than the actual chart which is 100).

I don't think it matters if you make it 8.5 tall and 34 wide, or 34 tall and 8.5 wide as you can change the orientation to account for that.

But yes, once you have the Page Setup done, and the Preview showing in Reunion looks like what you're expecting - 3 very wide pages - then print Page 1 to 1. When it stops wind the paper back into the printer by the amount you determined - on my 1270 I think it's 11 mm. Then Print Page 2 to 2. When that's done, wind the paper back again. Then print Page 3 to 3.

You might also check to make sure there's no setting in the 1280 driver anywhere for "Continuous" - there isn't in the 1270 driver which is why I have to wind the paper back.

Cheers

Roger

STEVE
06 April 2006, 10:54 AM
Create a Custom Page that is 8.5 x 34 (you need 3 of them to be longer than the actual chart which is 100).
Cheers

Roger

I don't know, specifically, for the new printers, but the "old" standard for the Mac was a paper length of 144". So, you might give that a try and see what happens.

STEVE

theKiwi
06 April 2006, 12:15 PM
I don't know, specifically, for the new printers, but the "old" standard for the Mac was a paper length of 144". So, you might give that a try and see what happensThe limit for page size in the Epson printer driver software is 44 inches.

Roger

Herb Goodman
06 April 2006, 01:42 PM
The limit for page size in the Epson printer driver software is 44 inches.

Roger
Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Herb

Herb Goodman
10 April 2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Herb
I did not succeed in the printing but better than before. I am using an Epson 1280. I have selected Sylus Photo 1280 (1,1) and printing 1 page out of 3.and using a custom page size 8.5 x 33. The computer tells me that the tree is 3 pages. The printing works for the first page (33inches) but at the end, instead of stopping, the printer ejects the paper. How do you avoid the ejection problem?

theKiwi
10 April 2006, 04:16 PM
Are you printing on Roll paper?

Is it an option in the printer driver to tell it you're using Roll Paper?

I can't find that in my 1270 driver, but I'm sure it used to be there - maybe only under Mac OS 9?

I seem to recall a setting somewhere to choose Roll Paper.

I'm not about to try and print a chart, but my recollection is that the printer stopped at the end of the page right where it was done. I could then wind it back and tell it to print page 2.

If I was done, I cut across the groove on the roll holder and then pressed the paper feed button to eject the sheet.

Roger

theKiwi
19 April 2006, 03:12 PM
OK I have a little more intelligence to add to this now after a couple of hours of futzing around trying to sort out something else...

My Epson 1270 driver DOES have a Roll Paper Option if you set up the Printer to use the GIMP Print drivers in the Printer Setup Utility.

Once that is done, in a browser go to

http://127.0.0.1:631

This is the interface to the Gimp Printing software .

There you can "Configure" the printer and for my Epson 1270, Roll Paper is an option in the "Media Source" pop up menu. Once I had selected that, a new item called Paper Feed appears in the Print Dialog box when you choose Print with the Gimp driver and then you can choose Roll Paper.

Roger