PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto and census images

Julianne
29 March 2006, 12:43 AM
Is anybody else using iPhoto to store census images? I decided to share this info after reading the thread about Ancestry census images. It surprised me that nobody else was using iPhoto in this way.

This is how I've done it. Using iPhoto Library Manager, I've created a separate iPhoto library just for census images. Downloading images is simple because there is an "add to iPhoto" option if I right click on an image in Safari. Organizing is easy with the keyword and albums options. Best of all, the latest version of iPhoto has full screen editing which opens up the census image across my 17 inch iMac...I can zoom in closer from there and easily scroll around the image. I title the images with head of household and year and then add the series, roll, page numbers, etc. into comments.

My collection of census images is now easy to browse. This has enabled me to make study the images and fill in the holes in my research.

bunzino
29 March 2006, 06:57 PM
Julianne,

Do you or anyone else know what the laptop equivalent of "right click" is? And I love your idea of using iPhoto for census images!! Brilliant.

Thanks,
Nina

netty
29 March 2006, 07:18 PM
ctrl-click = right-click on a Mac.

netty

netty
29 March 2006, 07:19 PM
I've been using iPhoto in the exact way you've described for my census images as well. Works swimmingly.

netty

Gildell
29 March 2006, 10:27 PM
Is anybody else using iPhoto to store census images? I decided to share this info after reading the thread about Ancestry census images. It surprised me that nobody else was using iPhoto in this way.

snip......

Yes, I have also been doing the same thing since moving to 10.3

Works like a charm.

Michael

researching: Gilbreath, Boswell, Karrer, Whelan, Podolsky, Ogush, Kanzer, Goldberg

STEVE
30 March 2006, 02:10 PM
---snip---

For those of you who have larger collections, or who need more power and/or flexibility than iPhoto provides, I can recommend iView <http://www.iview-multimedia.com/>. I've been using it for several years and, for people with lots of photo's to sort/store/catalogue, it is well worth the money. My only association with the company is as a happy customer (with a need for a good reason to spend the money on an upgrade. ;-) <sigh>).

STEVE

latblumr
30 March 2006, 06:52 PM

This is how I've done it. Using iPhoto Library Manager, I've created a separate iPhoto library just for census images. Downloading images is simple because there is an "add to iPhoto" option if I right click on an image in Safari. Organizing is easy with the keyword and albums options. Best of all, the latest version of iPhoto has full screen editing which opens up the census image across my 17 inch iMac...I can zoom in closer from there and easily scroll around the image. I title the images with head of household and year and then add the series, roll, page numbers, etc. into comments.

My collection of census images is now easy to browse. This has enabled me to make study the images and fill in the holes in my research.

Does this work with any version of Safari or iPhoto?

Steve W. Jackson
30 March 2006, 06:54 PM
ctrl-click = right-click on a Mac.

netty
I've been using a two-button mouse for a very long time, and I'm absolutely thrilled that the ones I've used "automagically" convert a right-click to Apple's Control-click.

That said, it's a shame that so few Mac users realize just how much power is at their disposal via contextual menus -- whether it's via Control-click or a multi-button mouse. Try it everywhere -- on items in the Dock, on files and folders in the Finder, even on things inside programs. You'll be amazed at how much is accessible there without a trip to the main menubar -- and sometimes even things that aren't on the regular menus.

= Steve =

Don Fram
31 March 2006, 04:09 AM

Can you please advise me where to find "iphoto Library Manager" to create a separate iphoto library

David G. Kanter
31 March 2006, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=Don Fram]Can you please advise me where to find "iphoto Library Manager"

Karen
31 March 2006, 03:29 PM
Can you please advise me where to find "iphoto Library Manager" to create a separate iphoto library Using iPhoto 5.0.4 and found how to do it using the help facility. Having said that the software David mentions looks as if it will handle it more elegantly. Delighted to have been pointed in this direction.

craigten
31 March 2006, 07:02 PM
I tried your idea of control-clicking census image and sending it to iPhoto. iPhoto says it is "Loading Photos" but when i open iphoto it isn't there.Furthermore, the nomber of photos doesn't increase. Also when I save the census to the desktop I only get a part of it _ usually the right half, What am I doing wrong?
Craig TenBroeck

OS 10.4.5 & Reunion 8.06

Karen
01 April 2006, 05:07 AM
I tried your idea of control-clicking census image and sending it to iPhoto. iPhoto says it is "Loading Photos" but when i open iphoto it isn't there.Furthermore, the nomber of photos doesn't increase. Also when I save the census to the desktop I only get a part of it _ usually the right half, What am I doing wrong? OS 10.4.5 & Reunion 8.06Craig - re getting only part of the image - click the print icon - then try control-click on the census image that opens in the new window - worked for me (using Safari to access Ancestry).

Don Fram
01 April 2006, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=David G. Kanter]I find the best place to locate software for the Mac is at the free VersionTracker Website (http://www.versiontracker.com). There

RCarruthers
01 April 2006, 10:25 PM
Storing census images in iPhoto is a great idea but . . . while the image of a page of a Port of New York Immigration manifest from Ancestry is readable with some difficulty, the iPhoto copy is almost completely unreadable. Am I doing something wrong sending it directly to iPhoto? Dick

Andrew-Bede Allsop
03 April 2006, 03:29 AM
Nobody seems to have answered Don Fram

theKiwi
03 April 2006, 06:55 AM
David Kanter explained where to go to find the "iPhoto Library Manager" software. (Teach a man to fish, he'll live forever or however it goes)

If you need an explicit link (one fish for today) then try this one

http://homepage.mac.com/bwebster/iphotolibrarymanager.html

Some features are available free to unregistered users, some features only work for registered users.

HTH

Roger

Joe Carroll
04 April 2006, 11:28 AM
I don't use iPhoto. What I do after the Control-Click is just to store the image to a folder (mine is called "Ancestry Images").

However, using Safari, one only gets an HTML document that, when double-clicked, re-calls up the image; the image itself is NOT stored.

If I really want the image (I do!), then I have to use Explorer. That results in a gif file. That is readable with Preview and thus allows "export" in any other format. One can also import these images to iPhoto if desired (I've not done that).

I've also (many times) used Grab to get just a piece of the image without going through the Contol-Click business.

My 2-cents.

------ Joe

Kate McCain
04 April 2006, 06:25 PM
I don't use iPhoto. What I do after the Control-Click is just to store the image to a folder (mine is called "Ancestry Images").

However, using Safari, one only gets an HTML document that, when double-clicked, re-calls up the image; the image itself is NOT stored.

If I really want the image (I do!), then I have to use Explorer. That results in a gif file. That is readable with Preview and thus allows "export" in any other format. One can also import these images to iPhoto if desired (I've not done that).

I've also (many times) used Grab to get just a piece of the image without going through the Contol-Click business.

My 2-cents.

------ Joe

I generally access the ancestry.com census files via Netscape (for some reason IE has lost the magnification function on my Mac) and save my census and other scans in surname files (great organizational suggestion in a recent posting, btw, and System X is great for allowing record and file rearranging in the multiple vertical columns format). However, after saving the scans as .gif files, I open them in GraphicConverter (a wonderful program) and trim the image so that it will provide the largest size possible on 8.5 x 11 paper. GraphicConverter will scale the printout to the paper size for you.Then I re-save the image so I don't have to go through that again. Grab is also great for capturing the census metadata that ancestry.com provides, or other things that show well on the screen but don't print well.

Kate McCain

jmo
04 April 2006, 06:39 PM
Joe:

I think you are saving the wrong thing. I also save the census images in a folder and use Preview to view them, which allows me to zoom in or out as needed. To save the image of the entire page, do the following (I just did this in Safari to make sure it works, though I usually use Camino)

1. Find your target person, then select View Image
2. On the image viewing screen, select the Save icon (floppy disk). This will bring up a dialog; make sure the "Your Computer" radio button is selected and click Ok. This will bring up a new page with instructions on how to save the image, followed by the full image.
3. On the new image, do an opt-ctl click on the image (hold the option & control keys down while clicking and holding the mouse button with the cursor over any part of the image); this will bring up a contextual menu; select "Save Image as..." and a standard File Save dialog pops up allowing you to select the folder where you want to save the image. If you just do a ctl-click (or right click with a multi-button mouse) with the option key, the Save To option will be limited to the default download location you've set for Safari (or to the Desktop on some older versions). This will always download a .gif image file, not an html web page.

Hope this helps.

fwrightson
09 April 2006, 01:49 AM
Can you please advise me where to find "iphoto Library Manager" to create a separate iphoto libraryI got this directly from iPhoto Help (6.0.2)
Creating a new photo library
You can create multiple photo libraries to organize your photos, albums, slideshows, books, calendars, and cards.

To create a new photo library:
Quit iPhoto.
Rename your current iPhoto Library folder in the Finder or move it to a new location on your hard disk.
Open iPhoto.
Click Create Library.
Type a name and choose a location for your new photo library.
Click Save.
Your new, empty photo library appears in the iPhoto Source list. Any photos you import will be added to this library.

Rich Taylor
10 April 2006, 07:03 PM
Renaming your iPhoto Library manually works quite well, but is tedious. I have used iPhoto Library Manager for about a year and love it. It will do the renaming and closing and opening of the new library in seconds. I have about six libraries on the go now.

I checked and found it at this address. Or Version Tracker, too.
http://store6.esellerate.net/store/catalog.aspx?s=STR9274391138&pc=

I just got back from New Zealand with 3600 photos and I'll be putting them into yet another iPhoto Library.

Re-living NZ,

Rich

Kim
11 April 2006, 01:28 PM
I am wondering what I am missing by not having iPhoto Library Manager. I already create or change libraries when I open iPhoto by holding down the option key when I click the iPhoto icon. I DO have to close the library I'm in before I can open a different one, but I don't need to do any renaming, etc. Is the main convenience of iPhoto Library Manager just that it automatically opens and closes libraries, or am is there something I can do easily that I didn't even know I needed?

theKiwi
11 April 2006, 01:44 PM
I am wondering what I am missing by not having iPhoto Library Manager. I already create or change libraries when I open iPhoto by holding down the option key when I click the iPhoto icon. I DO have to close the library I'm in before I can open a different one, but I don't need to do any renaming, etc. Is the main convenience of iPhoto Library Manager just that it automatically opens and closes libraries, or am is there something I can do easily that I didn't even know I needed?

If you don't register iPhoto Library Manager it will do as you describe above, maybe in a nicer interface. You can create new libraries, and you can choose which one to run in iPhoto at any particular time.

If you register it then you get a whole lot more features, like being able to merge libraries.

http://homepage.mac.com/bwebster/iphotolibrarymanager.html

has the details.

Roger

John Hair
05 May 2006, 12:11 AM
I've been using a two-button mouse for a very long time, and I'm absolutely thrilled that the ones I've used "automagically" convert a right-click to Apple's Control-click.

That said, it's a shame that so few Mac users realize just how much power is at their disposal via contextual menus -- whether it's via Control-click or a multi-button mouse. Try it everywhere -- on items in the Dock, on files and folders in the Finder, even on things inside programs. You'll be amazed at how much is accessible there without a trip to the main menubar -- and sometimes even things that aren't on the regular menus.I didn't stop at the two button mouse. I have a four button with scroll wheel. The first two buttons work like you say and the other two are for forward and backward in Safari. The scroll wheel allows up, down and sideways scrolling. Great for moving around the census image at larger magnifications. The scroll wheel is good for index in Reunion also the charts although Reunion only recognizes the up/down scroll and not the sideways scroll in the charts.

John

RCarruthers
05 May 2006, 04:46 PM
DISCOVER magazine for June has an interesting article about making "paper squeezes" of stone inscriptions. They say: "Squeezes require less technical expertise to make than archival photographs and often reveal more detail, especially with weathered and hard-to-read inscriptions." A little harder to share than digital snapshots but perhaps useful for deciphering gravestone inscriptions.

Stephen Hill
22 May 2006, 08:43 AM
DISCOVER magazine for June has an interesting article about making "paper squeezes" of stone inscriptions.What are paper squeezes? Can you describe the process or can you give a website address for the squeeze?

cheers

stevebaz

KeriAnnB
06 August 2006, 10:17 PM
thank you SO much for posting this! i never even thought of doing this. i WAS using "grab" to make the pictures of the census's while i am down at the library (state library, it's free there, otherwise i don't have access)...

duh! thanks for posting this!

msdebbiep
29 August 2006, 08:06 PM
I've kinda been using iPhoto for recording sources but, since I'm just starting to pay attention to sources I didn't realize it.
Here's what I have been doing:
1. when I am looking at a census record or historical story etc. I scroll to the section that I want to save
2. then clicking: control-shift-3 I take a snapshot of the screen.
3. I then move it into iPhoto and add a keyword of Ancestry and voila. All there.
4. Now I just have to take all my images and connect them to my Reunion somehow.. maybe I'll tackle that tomorrow!

Debbie

Charles Cox
30 August 2006, 07:13 PM
I've kinda been using iPhoto for recording sources but, since I'm just starting to pay attention to sources I didn't realize it.
Here's what I have been doing:
1. when I am looking at a census record or historical story etc. I scroll to the section that I want to save
2. then clicking: control-shift-3 I take a snapshot of the screen.
3. I then move it into iPhoto and add a keyword of Ancestry and voila. All there.
4. Now I just have to take all my images and connect them to my Reunion somehow.. maybe I'll tackle that tomorrow!

Debbie

No. 4 is where I am having problems. Please post your solution when you find one. I would like some easy way to get from the multimedia window to IPhoto in which I could recognize the options available there. I am trying to add relevant copies of the census page in the records of individuals. But I can't find an easy way to get from Reunion into the iPhoto library. (I thinnk this may be more a problem with iPhoto than it is with Reunion.

Thanks
Charles

fraserprincess
14 September 2006, 10:20 PM
Is anybody else using iPhoto to store census images?Yes I use iPhoto for all my BDM certificates as well as census images I have made libraries for each branch of family and then I burn a cd or dvd from time to time from iPhoto just in case .... not that Mac has ever let me down
cheers Lesley

marnen
15 September 2006, 12:52 AM
But I can't find an easy way to get from Reunion into the iPhoto library.
AFAIK, iPhoto simply catalogs a bunch of images which still exist as separate files. Now you just need to tell Reunion where those files are (perhaps in ~/Pictures ?)

oKawa
17 September 2006, 05:54 PM
Can you please advise me where to find "iphoto Library Manager" to create a separate iphoto library

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/imaging_3d/iphotolibrarymanager.html

geoffb
02 October 2006, 05:08 PM
Creating a new library within iPhoto is actually much easier that even iPhoto Help itself makes it out to be.

In fact, all you need to do to create a new Library (in iPhoto 5.0.4, and presumably in iPhoto 6 as well), is hold down Option while opening iPhoto.
It then gives you the option to "Create Library" or "Choose Library."