PDA

View Full Version : What license for dual install?

Potion
25 March 2006, 05:33 PM
I usually run Reunion 8 on my G4. Occasionally I'd like to make it mobile - to copy the database and multimedia files to my MacBook - so that I can, for example, schlepp it off to a family gathering.

Do I need to purchase a second license? Or...

...my interpretation of the license agreement is that I can run Reunion on one machine at a time. But can I install it on two machines? (I won't actually use both simultaneously, but it will be technically possible to do so.)

Assuming that I can, what problems are there when sharing databases, etc? (I'll put this in a separate thread.)

Michael
27 March 2006, 01:52 PM
...my interpretation of the license agreement is that I can run Reunion on one machine at a time. But can I install it on two machines? (I won't actually use both simultaneously, but it will be technically possible to do so.)You can install Reunion 8 on any number of machines in your ownership, however, the license does not permit you to run Reunion concurrently on them.
Assuming that I can, what problems are there when sharing databases, etc? (I'll put this in a separate thread.)One problem is if you plan to edit your family file over a network. While you can technically open and edit a family file on another machine (over a home network), Reunion wasn't designed to work in this way. For the best results, only edit your files locally.

Potion
31 March 2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks Michael.

I installed Reunion 8 on both machines. I then copied the database and the Pictures folder from the primary machine (G4 MacOs 9.2) to the secondary machine (MacBook Intel MacOs 10.4.3). The database opens successfully, but some of the links to the multimedia files (kept in the Pictures folder) don't work. I suspect that there are differences between MacOs 9 and 10 internal file-name representation, in which case, what file-naming convention is 'safe' for interoperability?

Denis

Michael
31 March 2006, 11:31 AM
...what file-naming convention is 'safe' for interoperability?Hi Denis,

The problem is not so much with the naming of the file as it is with the location of the file.

From the manual...

"If you use Reunion on a desktop Macintosh and also on a PowerBook, and you keep the same collection of multimedia files on both computers, it's advisable to keep your multimedia files located in the same folder relative to the location of the Reunion application."

Depending on where you've saved your pictures, this may be difficult to do between OS 9 and OS X. In this case, the easiest way to work around the broken multimedia links would be to define a new Multimedia folder.

To do this, choose Options -> Multimedia to add the location of your pictures folder to the Multimedia folders list. You can add up to twelve locations in the list. If Reunion can't find the item in its original location, it will look in the folders you've listed. This will avoid the need to manually change each link. For more details, click on the question mark icon in the lower left-hand corner of the Multimedia Options window.

Bob White
31 March 2006, 01:57 PM
I know that many members of this forum say to keep files over in the Documents folder. However.....

I run Reunion on both my iMac and my iBook. I keep copies of linked photos in the Pictures folder in the Reunion application folder. I treat the iMac as my primary file. Once or twice per month, I copy all contents of the iMac Reunion folder except the application and the manual to the iBook Reunion folder.

I do not lose multimedia links. Judging by the fact that the first two items in the location path -- name of hard drive and user name -- are different but everything else in the path name is the same, my guess is that somehow Frank has the program check its own folder first....