PDA

View Full Version : FOLDER UPDATER by Steve W. Jackson?

BILL DORGAN
20 March 2006, 01:18 PM
Has anyone had any experience using FOLDER UPDATER?

I am using DREAMWEAVER 8 to create my Family Website. I now have a number of corrections, revisions and additions to add to the Website. It would be a real hardship if I had to do this manually.

If you want to see the Website go to: www.mackenziefamilytree.com.

I would appreciate ANY comments and help!!

Thanks for your time.

Bill Dorgan
billdorgan@billdorgan.com

Steve W. Jackson
20 March 2006, 07:19 PM
Well, as the author of said program, I won't toot my own horn and sing its praises, but I will help in any way that I can with how it's used.

Basically, here's the idea behind the FolderUpdater program: Create your set of web cards one time and upload them to wherever you'll be publishing them. Don't remove them from your system. The next time you need to update your web cards, generate a new set and then use the FolderUpdater program. It will copy any files that are new or changed, taking into account the change date that Reunion puts into the HTML rather than a file's change date. When it's finished, it'll identify for you in a window (with the option to print it) which files got added or changed, so that you can upload only those to your server. You can now delete the newly generated set, keeping the updated originals as your baseline for subsequent updates.

If you modify the files generated by Reunion, you'll want to apply your change process immediately after generating them and before running the FolderUpdater program. That way, it will compare "apples to apples," so to speak, and not see something as different just because of your updates. To keep the program simple, all it really does is to read each of the HTML files one line at a time, comparing the old one to the new one. If the line happens to be one that contains the date on which Reunion generated it, then the default behavior is to discount that date string, since it would automatically consider the file's contents changed. If anything else is found that differs, the file comparison stops and the new one is copied to replace the old one.

I'll leave it to others to tell you whether they think the program is helpful to them. But I'll be happy to help in understanding how it works or how you might be able to fit it into the way that you create your web site.

= Steve =

Mary Ward
31 October 2006, 07:02 PM
How do I get a copy of Folder Updater? I am using Dreamweaver for my site and making corrections and changes is a daunting task since the site is quite large.

David G. Kanter
31 October 2006, 07:13 PM
How do I get a copy of Folder Updater?Click Here. (http://homepage.mac.com/stevejackson/MacStuff.html)

Dinee
10 March 2007, 11:42 AM
I absolutely love FOLDER UPDATER! I use it to compare the Web Cards made today (in reports) versus the ones made the last time. Then I can see exacty where the changes are and put those changes into my iDisk sites folder. It's a breeze!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Dennis Jackson
15 October 2011, 06:09 AM
Just to point out ... FolderUpdater 1.4.9 (the latest version) doesn't run on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion).

Perhaps there will be a new version.
Or is there another utility to use?

Mark
17 October 2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Dennis,

The Reunion Web Tool (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/webtool.php) is another option.

HTH

Steve W. Jackson
17 October 2011, 03:18 PM
Once I updated to Lion, I no longer have a machine that runs any older version of Mac OS X. As a result, I can no longer update or maintain FolderUpdater because I can no longer run REALbasic, the development environment used to create it. So unless someone wants to buy RB and take the code, it's best to use Leister's own Reunion Tool.

Dinee
17 March 2012, 12:29 PM
Just to point out ... FolderUpdater 1.4.9 (the latest version) doesn't run on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion).

Perhaps there will be a new version.
Or is there another utility to use?checking it here - what are people using these days to replace FolderUpdater

Thanks
Diane

- wow - I just got my own answer - the new Reunion web too

http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/webtool.php