PDA

View Full Version : Flash drive use--try stuffit SOLUTION

Terry Dearborn
14 March 2006, 04:50 PM
I have been reading the flash drive thread. Since many have contributed but no solutions have been found, I am starting a new thread.

I have been using Memorex 1GB flash drive to move files from a G4 (OS9) to a G5 OS10. Transfer works O.K. but just ignore added files called resource forks.

When I tried to move my Eudora Email folder I lost 95% of the messages. I called Eudora and they told me the basic formating of the drive was for Windoze. The forks play havoc with the links between the Email message and the TOC file on which it appears.

Eudora recomended that I put the files, that need to be moved into a single folder. Then use "Stuffit"(free from internet) to make an Archive.sit. Drag the archive into the harddrive.

Plug it into the receiving computer and delete the Windoze junk (resource forks, desktop...). Move cleaned up folder into "Stuffit Expander" (also free).
Now my Email messages loaded into the Eudora folder.

Because of this success WITHIN the Apple environment I predict that this procedure will also work for GEDCOM transfer from/to Macintosh and Windoze.

Let us know what happens.

theKiwi
14 March 2006, 06:41 PM
I have been reading the flash drive thread. Since many have contributed but no solutions have been found, I am starting a new thread.

I have been using Memorex 1GB flash drive to move files from a G4 (OS9) to a G5 OS10. Transfer works O.K. but just ignore added files called resource forks.

When I tried to move my Eudora Email folder I lost 95% of the messages. I called Eudora and they told me the basic formating of the drive was for Windoze. The forks play havoc with the links between the Email message and the TOC file on which it appears.

Eudora recomended that I put the files, that need to be moved into a single folder. Then use "Stuffit"(free from internet) to make an Archive.sit. Drag the archive into the harddrive.

Plug it into the receiving computer and delete the Windoze junk (resource forks, desktop...). Move cleaned up folder into "Stuffit Expander" (also free).
Now my Email messages loaded into the Eudora folder.

Because of this success WITHIN the Apple environment I predict that this procedure will also work for GEDCOM transfer from/to Macintosh and Windoze.

Let us know what happens.

Well it's hardly right to say no solution has been found. I have posted here before, and even in the last couple of days there's been discussion about this, about reformatting the drive to Macintosh HFS+ if you're going to use it between a Mac OS 9 computer and a Mac OS X computer - then everything will happen in a nice familiar environment, and you don't risk any screwups by deleting parts of files that actually might be needed - particularly if you have put an application onto the drive to move it from one machine to another - eg a software updater like might be used to update FileMaker or Reunion.

Certainly compressing the files first makes sense, but it's a lot more work to do that each time than it is to reformat the drive once if your only use for it is between Macintosh computers.

And it won't work between Macintosh and Windows if you create a .sit file as the Windows computer isn't going to know how to deal with that since it's primarily a Macintosh file format. There is a StuffIt expander for Windows, but I wouldn't expect many Windows computers to have that ready to go.

For Mac to Windows you can leave the files uncompressed since Windows is only going to read the data part anyhow. But the drive will need to be a Windows formatted drive if you're moving Mac <--> Windows.

Roger

Urs Geiser
15 March 2006, 01:26 PM
Plug it into the receiving computer and delete the Windoze junk (resource forks, desktop...).
Resource forks, desktop files ... are not "Windoze junk". They are created by OS 9 (or earlier) in an adaptation to non-Mac file system. The desktop files are normally invisible on an HFS or HFS+ volume and are used by the OS 9 (or earlier) Finder. The resource forks are normally attached to the files on an HFS or HFS+ volume, but need to be separated on a PC-compatible file system, therefore they become visible on a PC. There are some other files that become visible in this process, but don't dismiss them as "Windoze junk"! If you delete these "nuisance"file, you may cripple some functionality, perhaps even lose data, when you plug the drive back into an OS 9 computer. Best to just ignore them.