ReunionTalk  

Go Back   ReunionTalk > Genealogy

Old 17 May 2010, 02:00 PM

Default iPad apps, what do you use, cemetery locations, etc

I know I'll use reunion for the family tree information on my iPad.

I'm trying to find ways to record the GPS locations of gravesites, mapping, etc., but have yet to find an easy way to do this.

Has anyone found other software that they use?
Old 17 May 2010, 02:49 PM

Default Re: iPad apps, what do you use, cemetery locations, etc

Some Sony cameras, if not others, have an attachment that records pictures embedded with the GPS location. Never used one, but thought about it many times.
Old 17 May 2010, 04:54 PM

I've been looking at the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad app called GeoLogTag (there is a free version also) in the iTunes store. Maybe this would work for you.
-iMac24", OS10.9.4, R10.0.6, Safari7.0.6
Old 17 May 2010, 05:57 PM

I use my Canon digital camera to take pictures, I carry my Garmin 255W GPS with me in a pocket or backpack, and then when it's all over, I use a software called "HoudahGeo" to match the time stamps on the pictures with the tracklog from the GPS to add the latitude, longitude and altitude information to all the pictures with a few clicks of the mouse.

Note that it helps to have the clock in the camera set pretty accurately, although HoudahGeo does let you make adjustments for this if you can figure out what the offset should be.

The biggest downside to this setup is that the Garmin will only last a few hours running on its own battery.

There are GPS dataloggers from the likes of Sony that are small, and will clip to a camera strap that will last days on their batteries - the only record a tracklog and have no real interface like a Garmin GPS, and of course you can't use them to navigate with.

Roger
Old 18 May 2010, 12:52 PM

For iPad apps, you may want to look at MotionX GPS HD. GPS-wise, it does pretty much everything but make coffee. Intro price currently for the iPad version of $2.99.

Another possibility... If, like Roger, you take your camera and your camera uses a SD card, look at the Eye-Fi brand of SD cards. Several of them record GPS info as you snap, so it is recorded in the metadata for each photo.
Old 18 May 2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKiwi View Post
I use my Canon digital camera to take pictures, I carry my Garmin 255W GPS with me in a pocket or backpack, and then when it's all over, I use a software called "HoudahGeo" to match the time stamps on the pictures with the tracklog from the GPS to add the latitude, longitude and altitude information to all the pictures with a few clicks of the mouse.

Note that it helps to have the clock in the camera set pretty accurately, although HoudahGeo does let you make adjustments for this if you can figure out what the offset should be.

The biggest downside to this setup is that the Garmin will only last a few hours running on its own battery.

There are GPS dataloggers from the likes of Sony that are small, and will clip to a camera strap that will last days on their batteries - the only record a tracklog and have no real interface like a Garmin GPS, and of course you can't use them to navigate with.

Roger
What do you do with the data after you have collected it? Is there a function in Reunion that ties GPS data with places?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 18 May 2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWinfrey View Post
What do you do with the data after you have collected it? Is there a function in Reunion that ties GPS data with places?
Not yet - hope springs eternal :-)

But I do use this data in my genealogy site online with TNG in some cases, and I've used it with other software that can use it - for example to create a kml file that contains photos and a map showing where the photos were taken, and the pins on the map can be clicked to show the photos.

Roger
Old 19 May 2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKiwi View Post
FWIW
How about taking the pictures with the GPS screen (with coordinates) in the bottom of the view ?
MacBookPro 2,4GHz 10.6.8
Old 19 May 2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob White View Post
For iPad apps, you may want to look at MotionX GPS HD. GPS-wise, it does pretty much everything but make coffee. Intro price currently for the iPad version of $2.99.

Another possibility... If, like Roger, you take your camera and your camera uses a SD card, look at the Eye-Fi brand of SD cards. Several of them record GPS info as you snap, so it is recorded in the metadata for each photo.
I considered buying an Eye-Fi card, but they use WPS, not GPS, so one must be within range of a wirelesss network. This will certainly improve with time, but for now, I am going to pass. Anybody have any experience with them?
Old 19 May 2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgenealogy View Post
I've been looking at the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad app called GeoLogTag (there is a free version also) in the iTunes store. Maybe this would work for you.
This is only an iPhone/iPod Touch application, it is not iPad specific.

ReunionTalk > Genealogy > iPad apps, what do you use, cemetery locations, etc