ReunionTalk  

Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion

Old 03 December 2009, 10:24 PM

Default Reunion crashing tonight....

Hi-I have not been doing much in Reunion for awhile (since the birth of my first grandchild) but tonight I was trying to enter some source info and 3 times I entered a new source and 3 times Reunion crashed. I chose 'Website' as my source and entered the information and then went to Save and Reunion crashed. Anyone else having this problem?

I have a new MBP running Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and 4G of RAM.

I guess there is a crash report somewhere (it was also sent to Apple each time) if anyone wants it-I don't know what it all means........ What I do know is that Reunion is crashing now with my new machine and SL and it didn't with my old machine and Leopard.

Happy Holidays, Judy
Old 03 December 2009, 10:32 PM
Deb
Technical Support

Default Re: Reunion crashing tonight....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstucci View Post
Hi-I have not been doing much in Reunion for awhile (since the birth of my first grandchild) but tonight I was trying to enter some source info and 3 times I entered a new source and 3 times Reunion crashed. I chose 'Website' as my source and entered the information and then went to Save and Reunion crashed. Anyone else having this problem?

I have a new MBP running Snow Leopard (10.6.2) and 4G of RAM.

I guess there is a crash report somewhere (it was also sent to Apple each time) if anyone wants it-I don't know what it all means........ What I do know is that Reunion is crashing now with my new machine and SL and it didn't with my old machine and Leopard.

Happy Holidays, Judy
Hi Judy,

What version of Reunion 9 do you have?

If you are not running version 9.0b (our latest version), you may download it from this web page...

http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/versio...tes/update.php

I hope this is helpful:-)
Old 04 December 2009, 05:15 AM

I am running the current version. I am wondering if a menu bar app I just installed is causing it. I will delete it and try using Reunion again. Will report back after deleting it. Judy
Old 04 December 2009, 09:24 AM

Hi Judy:

Not sure if this will work, but if all else fails, I would remove Reunion from your computer (including any of the preference files you can find) and then re-install it. I haven't had your problem with Reunion, but that has helped me several times in the past with other programs.

Good luck!

Bill...
Old 04 December 2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstucci View Post
I am running the current version. I am wondering if a menu bar app I just installed is causing it. I will delete it and try using Reunion again. Will report back after deleting it. Judy
Can you share which one? Several of the contextual menu and/or menu bar enhancer programs were "broken" with Snow Leopard due to major coding changes in the way that the Mac OS handles Finder level menus. Let's explore that path before doing something as drastic as removing/reinstalling a program.
Old 04 December 2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob White View Post
Can you share which one? Several of the contextual menu and/or menu bar enhancer programs were "broken" with Snow Leopard due to major coding changes in the way that the Mac OS handles Finder level menus. Let's explore that path before doing something as drastic as removing/reinstalling a program.
Hi Bob-the app was Second Bar. Here is the link: http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=79
He admits that there are bugs in it. I haven't had time to test out to see if Reunion crashes or not-I did uninstall the program already...... It's free and really no problem to reinstall it. I am not ready to uninstall Reunion just yet. Will give it a try tonight and see how I do and will report back. Judy
Old 04 December 2009, 05:58 PM

I am reporting back-Second Bar must have been what was causing Reunion to crash last night because tonight I just did what I tried to do last night when Reunion kept crashing-no problems at all. Glad it was an easy fix! The developer admitted there were bugs in the program and he was right. Thanks, have a good weekend all, Judy
Old 04 December 2009, 06:24 PM
Technical Support

Applications that make changes to the drop-down menus, menu-bars and other standard User Interface elements can cause conflicts as they essentially have to change how an application functions while it's running (so that what the plug-in/add-on wants to occur does, instead of what OS X/the application would normally do) or by making changes to specific files that OS X or the application in question use. It's a bit more complicated, but that's the short-and-sweet version.

Even well-coded plug-ins/add-ons that make these sort of changes can potentially break other applications. Personally, I avoid them, as their small added conveniences generally don't outweigh the potential problems.

Just some food for thought
Old 05 December 2009, 09:26 PM

I would add that menu modifiers generally are much more of a troublemaker than contextual menu modifiers. I've tried many of both over the years. I stared avoiding the menu type several years ago. I find lots of convenience in having added choices in a contextual menu. (I use PopFinder but not currently because it is still being rewritten for Snow Leopard.)
Old 07 December 2009, 01:36 PM

Thanks all for the very good tips! You guys really know your stuff. Happy Holidays to all, Judy

ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion > Reunion crashing tonight....