ReunionTalk  

Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion

Old 09 November 2008, 08:42 AM
cjr

Default Exporting web family cards to iPhone

Hi,

I've been hacking away a little at a "Web Style" plugin for Reunion 9, which will produce iPhone (and iPod Touch) optimized web pages.

Is anyone interested in trying this out?

It works with one caveat: there's no easy way in Reunion to add an iPhone-specific meta element in each page, which means that it'll always display the pages in the wrong size. This is easily worked around using a perl script, or another tool that can do search/replaces on multiple files.

The output's quite simplistic - a lot of the details exported like genders and so on are just discarded. I felt it made the output cleaner for the small display, but I might be wrong.

If you are interested in trying it, grab http://www.lnv.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/iPhone.zip and unzip it to your ~/Library/Application Support/Reunion/Web Styles folder. Then when creating your web family cards, go and choose "iPhone/iPod Touch" as the style.

I added a perl script to add that meta element noted above. Go to the folder where you exported your web family cards, and using the Terminal do this:

cd <drag your web family cards folder here, press return>
perl -pi ~/Library/Application\ Support/Reunion/Web\ Styles/iPhone/viewport *.html */*.html

It'll take a few seconds to run, and not print anything.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12 November 2008, 10:48 PM

Smile Re: Exporting web family cards to iPhone

Awesome!

I don't have time to try it out right now...

But perhaps Leister could "borrow" your technology and incorporate it into Reunion for the next update. To maximize convenience, it would be nice if Reunion could optionally build the iPhone/iTouch-friendly site that would sit parallel to the main HTML site, so it could all be uploaded as a single folder...

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
Hi,

I've been hacking away a little at a "Web Style" plugin for Reunion 9, which will produce iPhone (and iPod Touch) optimized web pages.
Old 14 November 2008, 03:57 PM
cjr

Default Re: Exporting web family cards to iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggoboy
Awesome!

I don't have time to try it out right now...

But perhaps Leister could "borrow" your technology and incorporate it into Reunion for the next update. To maximize convenience, it would be nice if Reunion could optionally build the iPhone/iTouch-friendly site that would sit parallel to the main HTML site, so it could all be uploaded as a single folder...

Dave
Thanks for the kind comments. I've seen a couple of downloads in my ISP's logs, so am glad there's some interest in it!

I fully expect this web style will be obsolete when Leister's native iPhone app comes out, so they wouldn't really be interested in my CSS efforts... But until their app comes out, my web style seems to have some use.

I have also just updated the zip file. The main improvements are:

* it now doesn't need to run any perl script or search/replace to set the iPhone viewport. Now everything's done in some Javascript embedded in each page.

* there's now a pretty preview picture when you go to the Reunion List Styles dialog.

The first change removes the major gotcha from the original release.

If anyone has any suggestions for improvements (or even patches!) they'd be most welcome.

ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion > Exporting web family cards to iPhone