ReunionTalk  

Go Back   ReunionTalk > Genealogy

Old 25 February 2007, 01:46 PM

Default Proper Format of Surnames?

Is there a proper way to store the Last name/Surname? I see some packages force it to UPPERCASE but reunion lets you decide what case to use.

Is there standard I should be using? For example, should a last name of smith be entered as SMITH or Smith?

Thanks
Old 26 February 2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Proper Format of Surnames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2
Is there a proper way to store the Last name/Surname? I see some packages force it to UPPERCASE but reunion lets you decide what case to use.

Is there standard I should be using? For example, should a last name of smith be entered as SMITH or Smith?

Thanks
As with much of the information we put into Reunion, we are free to fashion it into whatever form suits us best. Yes, it has its perimeters but they are not overly restrictive.
I enter all surnames in upper case, but not the given names except for those that are my direct ancestors, which I enter in upper case as well, for several reasons. Not only can I follow direct lines more readily on the computer screen but they stand out in the index, as well as in charts, reports, or anything I create.

Agnes
Old 02 March 2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2

Thanks
Whether to make the surname uppercase or not is, of course, personal preference. In professional genealogy, there are some standard reports that each have their way of doing it. Some use uppercase, some don't. If I were a professional genealogist, I would pick to use report formats that don't use all uppercase.

I don't uppercase the surnames in my database, simply because I want to preserve the case the way I see it in the sources. My birth certificate says Darveaux, not DARVEAUX.

Preserving the case can avoid ambiguity also. My wife's name is DeScisciolo. If I had received her name as DESCISCIOLO from someone who just happens to uppercase all surnames and I didn't have her to ask or see her documents, I wouldn't have known if it was actually deScisciolo,
de Scisciolo, De Scisciolo, Descisciolo, or De scisciolo.

I think case is important. I strive to preserve it from the original sources. It irritates me to receive names in all uppercase because it introduces a layer of unnecessary ambiguity.

Blaise A. Darveaux
Old 02 March 2007, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the good information. You mentioned some good pros and cons I would not of thought of.

John
Old 05 March 2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise A. Darveaux
Whether to make the surname uppercase or not is, of course, personal preference. In professional genealogy, there are some standard reports that each have their way of doing it. Some use uppercase, some don't. If I were a professional genealogist, I would pick to use report formats that don't use all uppercase.

I don't uppercase the surnames in my database, simply because I want to preserve the case the way I see it in the sources. My birth certificate says Darveaux, not DARVEAUX.

Preserving the case can avoid ambiguity also. My wife's name is DeScisciolo. If I had received her name as DESCISCIOLO from someone who just happens to uppercase all surnames and I didn't have her to ask or see her documents, I wouldn't have known if it was actually deScisciolo,
de Scisciolo, De Scisciolo, Descisciolo, or De scisciolo.

I think case is important. I strive to preserve it from the original sources. It irritates me to receive names in all uppercase because it introduces a layer of unnecessary ambiguity.

Blaise A. Darveaux
I just recently discovered why most genealogists use uppercase for identifying surnames. It is to distinguish between a name and an occupation - example: FARMER vs. farmer. The first is a surname and the latter is the person's profession.

Since I am blessed with some very unusual surnames (RIDEOUT, SIEDSMA, TRAUTMAN) among others, capitalization is of modest value to me. On the other hand, names like FARMER, SMITH, BLACK, etc. make the use of uppercase essential for determining names vs. occupations.
Old 06 March 2007, 09:16 AM

And moreover, you can change it afterwards.
In Reunion 9 choose in the Menu-bar: Change and pick Case ... (the first in the menu).

ReunionTalk > Genealogy > Proper Format of Surnames?