Tab in Search Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tab in Search Bar

Is there a way of stopping the tab going to the search bar when you are entering children using the letter key shortcuts. I think it started appearing in version 11 but I haven't done much data entry since then. Now I'm entering a lot of data from a very faint typed tree so I can have it in a more readable form for checking and being a touch typist I use the letter key shortcuts. It's absolutely frustrating to have to do a tab in-between the entries (especially when I usually forget) - can I get it to go directly back to the bottom bar?

Thanks
    Kaye

Re: Tab in Search Bar

Originally posted by Kaye Saunders View Post
    Is there a way of stopping the tab going to the search bar when you are entering children using the letter key shortcuts. I think it started appearing in version 11 but I haven't done much data entry since then. Now I'm entering a lot of data from a very faint typed tree so I can have it in a more readable form for checking and being a touch typist I use the letter key shortcuts. It's absolutely frustrating to have to do a tab in-between the entries (especially when I usually forget) - can I get it to go directly back to the bottom bar?

Thanks
    Kaye
    No, there isn't. I usually wind up with an "nmc" in the search field, and then have to repeatedly "Esc" to start over.

My workaround is that when I'm going to be entering via nfc, nmc, nuc, etc., I close the sidebar first. If the sidebar isn't there, the shortcuts do what you want them to without any extra steps.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      My workaround is that when I'm going to be entering via nfc, nmc, nuc, etc., I close the sidebar first. If the sidebar isn't there, the shortcuts do what you want them to without any extra steps.
      That's a great idea - thank you. Today I discovered that if you were only putting the name in and not going to their view then it stayed at the bottom but you don't do that too often.

Cheers - I know what I'm going to do now.
      Kaye

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
        No, there isn't. I usually wind up with an "nmc" in the search field, and then have to repeatedly "Esc" to start over.

I just want to add my frustration with this too. And while I'm glad to hear that closing the sidebar "fixes" it, that is still an extra step. Thank you for writing and clever Dennis to find a workaround. Maybe the next update… Hmmm?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye Saunders View Post
          Is there a way of stopping the tab going to the search bar when you are entering children using the letter key shortcuts.
          There is a new build of Reunion 12 (released today) that will address your concern.

This build supports a new letter-key shortcut that will stop the cursor from automatically switching to the sidebar when the family view is active (which is the default behavior).

To enable this new feature in today's build, enter the new letter-key shortcut plks (mnemonic for: prefer letter-key shortcuts) and the keyboard focus will not move into the search box of the sidebar, simplifying the use of letter-key shortcuts. To turn this feature off, enter the plks letter-key shortcut again.

After this new update has been installed, search Reunion's manual for "letter key" to get more information about letter-key shortcuts.

To get the latest build of Reunion 12 choose Help -> Check for Updates from Reunion's main menubar.
          Gregg Witmer
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            There is a new build of Reunion 12 (released today) that will address your concern.

To enable this new feature in today's build, enter the new letter-key shortcut plks (mnemonic for: prefer letter-key shortcuts) and the keyboard focus will not move into the search box of the sidebar, simplifying the use of letter-key shortcuts. To turn this feature off, enter the plks letter-key shortcut again.
            Fantastic - thank you. I inadvertently found another way a couple of days ago which I meant to post. When you have the media sidebar open beside the family view it automatically puts the "nmc" on the bottom of the view and returns there after you use it.

I look forward to using the new method.
            Thanks
            Kaye

Comment

Thanks so much for this. It's a pleasure to be able to rely on my "muscle memory" when entering new people again.
              Dennis J. Cunniff
              Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
              X