Islands, and then some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islands, and then some

I have been given a giant tree [nearly 50Mb with I think no multimedia] which contains 22,978 islands!

As far as I can see they are not really islands, but many separate trees in one file, for instance the biggest island is 12,739 people/16 generations according to Reunion and the smallest only one person [from 12,686 to 22,978] with the first 36 islands having 50 or more people over up to 10 generations.

There seem to be no Treetops and I was wondering if there was an easy way to see the biggest trees to see if there are names of interest.

Cheers, Colin

Re: Islands, and then some

Originally posted by colinc View Post
    As far as I can see they are not really islands, but many separate trees in one file....
    There seem to be no Treetops and I was wondering if there was an easy way to see the biggest trees to see if there are names of interest.
    Islands are pretty much are separate trees in one file, no?

If you click on the tree's name in the islands list in the sidebar, the display should shift to that island, and a list of the individuals in that island should appear in the main viewing area. The islands will be listed in order of size. (They'll be Island 1, Island 2, etc. if they haven't been named.) So you can go to the tree view, and/or click on the names to see what's there.
    Attached Files
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      Islands are pretty much are separate trees in one file, no?

If you click on the tree's name in the islands list in the sidebar, the display should shift to that island, and a list of the individuals in that island should appear in the main viewing area. The islands will be listed in order of size. (They'll be Island 1, Island 2, etc. if they haven't been named.) So you can go to the tree view, and/or click on the names to see what's there.
      Thanks Dennis, only just seen this despite Notification Type being set to Daily email [nothing in spam, since you ask!].

It solves the immediate problem in that I was looking in Family View rather than Tree View which makes navigation through a silly amount of data rather easier.

HOWEVER, it has revealed an oddity in this massive import of UK Jewish families. It somehow includes a chunk of my late wife's VERY Scottish family. If you look at the screen grab you will see a small bit of the Scottish tree on the left with the Jewish one on the right. Some of my wife's family is in the Jewish one in Tree view, but with completely random bp and dps inserted and the family nane not to be found in the name list on the right!

https://tinyurl.com/reunion-oddity [Manage attachments says this is an invalid link, but it seems OK to me]

A ghost in the Mac-hine

Cheers, Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colinc View Post
        HOWEVER, it has revealed an oddity in this massive import of UK Jewish families. It somehow includes a chunk of my late wife's VERY Scottish family. If you look at the screen grab you will see a small bit of the Scottish tree on the left with the Jewish one on the right. Some of my wife's family is in the Jewish one in Tree view, but with completely random bp and dps inserted and the family nane not to be found in the name list on the right!

https://tinyurl.com/reunion-oddity [Manage attachments says this is an invalid link, but it seems OK to me]
        Colin, when I click through the link I see more or less the same tree on the left and on the right. So there's all kinds of wierdness here!
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by colinc;53137

[url
          https://tinyurl.com/reunion-oddity[/url] [Manage attachments says this is an invalid link, but it seems OK to me]

A ghost in the Mac-hine
          Colin,
          When i click on your link it takes to a page with the two views.
          I can clearly see the differences eg; Andrina's bp Linlithgo ( on the left) and bp Berlin on the right, others have Dutch Guiana instead of Ediburgh.

Alan
          iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
            Colin,
            When i click on your link it takes to a page with the two views.
            I can clearly see the differences eg; Andrina's bp Linlithgo ( on the left) and bp Berlin on the right, others have Dutch Guiana instead of Ediburgh.

Alan
            I now see it: the only differences is in the places, the people and dates are the same. Which suggests a problem with the places database; perhaps the Reunion Help folk should have a look at the file!
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
            X