How do you make smart list.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you make smart list.

Ok. I give up. I have spent an hour trying to figure out how to make a smart list in the family view. I have multiple possibilities for birth, death, etc. that I would like to see in the family view without having to always dig into the individuals event window just to see if there is more then one. Smart lists seems like it will fit the bill for this.

I have read (at least three times) the section on smart lists in the Manual:The Family View: Fields. It tells all about smart lists except how to make them.

In the screen shot provided in the manual, I never see what they show under Field Information on the right about smart list options. I only see the check boxes for Memo only and Show age.

Can someone please explain how to make a smart list? Thanks.

Re: How do you make smart list.

If you go to Family View Preferences and choose a view to modify, click on Couple at the top of the window. Then click on the Add Field popup menu at the bottom and choose Smart List. With the new field selected, you can then on the right choose for it to show Events, Facts, or Events & Facts.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

The missing element for you might be to make sure you have the smart list field clicked on so that you see the correct options on the right. It sounds as if you have an Event field selected.
      Tim Lundin

Comment

Thanks, I didn't notice the Smart List type of field in the Add Field list. I pulled that list down several times, but didn't notice it.

Comment

For some reason, it doesn't seem jump out at a person. Glad you found it.
          Tim Lundin

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
            For some reason, it doesn't seem jump out at a person. Glad you found it.
            I think that's right. It's stuck in the drop-down menu under some other items, and in a spot on the menu that seems arbitrary. I didn't find it until I read your description twice.

Perhaps Leister can find a better way to distinguish this. I believe it's technically a collection of items rather than a single item, as would be true for pretty much everything else in that menu.
            --
            Matt McCaffrey

Proprietor of the "family business" since 2015

Researching McCaffrey, Duffy, Garrow/Garand/Garant, Alden, Cadieux, Gagne

Comment

Working...
            X