Picture Transparency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture Transparency

In Reunion 11 transparency of images is not handled correctly.

A transparent image is where it is cut-out so that just the head shows against whatever colour background of the display. This can be done with PNG files.

In Reunion 11 the following happen:

(a) If a transparent cut-out image is loaded as a preferred or otherwise picture into Reunion, the Family View display displays it as a square and turns all its transparent background into white.

(b) If a chart is made using this image, again the cut-out is shown with a white square over the background colour of the person boxes of the Chart.

(c) If the image in (b) is deleted and a fresh copy of the original transparent cut-out dragged in to the box in the Chart, it then displays the image cut-out correctly on the Chart's box with the coloured background fully visible. Though you have to set the Frame option on the Chart to None.

Has this been corrected for Reunion 12?

(I tried to append a cut-out image in PNG format so that anyone could prove it for themselves. But this Forum program converted it to a JPG file and JPG does not reliably show transparent backgrounds.)
    tim@powys.org http://powys.org

Re: Picture Transparency

Nothing has changed with regard to the handling of transparent images in Reunion 12.

They're supported in books and charts (i.e., transparent images can be dragged-dropped into pages, moved behind or on top of other objects, etc.); but image transparency is not supported for images linked to people and families, for use in the family view, thumbnails, media window, sidebars, or reports.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Re: Picture Transparency

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      Nothing has changed with regard to the handling of transparent images in Reunion 12.

They're supported in books and charts (i.e., transparent images can be dragged-dropped into pages, moved behind or on top of other objects, etc.); but image transparency is not supported for images linked to people and families, for use in the family view, thumbnails, media window, sidebars, or reports.
      Thanks for that information.

I may not be remembering right but it used to be possible to install a transparent, ie PNG, image in the Reunion's Multimedia and then construct a chart which picked up the transparent image. But this failed, I think, from the introduction of Reunion 11.

I have now discovered that a transparent PNG file that is dropped into Multimedia is immediately converted to a JPG file and thus the transparency is lost when one draws a chart with images from the main Reunion database. Can it be restored that the PNG file, including its transparency features, is retained in Multimedia and then be used for making Charts? It would save a load of labour in dragging fresh images out of the Macintosh Filer for every chart made with cut-out images.

And then it would be nice if family view, thumbnails, media window, sidebars, and reports could be brought into line with Charts and Books.

Similarly Charts allows one to make text Bold with Command-B alone but the core data-entry screens require us to use the odd Shift-Command-B to make text Bold. All of Reunion should have the same command structure and Command B is the Mac standard for Bold.

Tim
      tim@powys.org http://powys.org

Comment

Working...
      X