This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading from dropbox

I have uploaded a copy of my Mac-based Reunion file (did that on purpose - don't want to synch them). It shows up as being in dropbox as viewed from my iPad. However, it won't download - the cursor just spins and spins. It says "Downloading..." and the name of the file is correct. The file is only 4 meg and I have let it spin for up to 15 minutes. Any thoughts?

Re: Downloading from dropbox

You don't need to download it. It is also in the Dropbox folder in your Mac. In fact, all of your Dropbox contents are mirrored in that place. That is how Dropbox works. Location is Macintosh HD/Users/YourName/Dropbox.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
      You don't need to download it. It is also in the Dropbox folder in your Mac. In fact, all of your Dropbox contents are mirrored in that place. That is how Dropbox works. Location is Macintosh HD/Users/YourName/Dropbox.
      Thanks Bob. I thought I had to "actually" download it. This was further confused by the fact that what I put in DropBox was a copy of my Mac file, since I DON'T want changes on my iPad to be reflected in my Mac file (yeah, I'm paranoid), and the resultant file name is so long that I can't actually tell on my iPad what the full file name is. Oh, well. I just verified what you said - I made changes in my Mac file a few days ago and they are NOT reflected on the iPad
      Thanks again, Ed

Comment

Incorrect! All that you verified is that Dropbox is NOT syncing with your Mac.

Leister staff can step in here and verify but, to my knowledge, the way Reunion is set to work with Dropbox, it is not possible to have it not synch. Recommend that you read up on the section in the manual titled "Mobile Devices and Dropbox Sharing" for a more detailed understanding of this process.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          the way Reunion is set to work with Dropbox, it is not possible to have it not synch.
          There are actually a few ways to have it not sync.

The simplest method is to put the file in Dropbox, use the "Download family file from Dropbox" option on the "Welcome to ReunionTouch" screen to download it to ReunionTouch, then back on your Mac move the family file back out of Dropbox.

The file will remain in ReunionTouch, but any changes you make in ReunionTouch will not sync back to the family file on your Mac (they won't even be uploaded to your Dropbox folder).

HTH
          Mark Harrison
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            ....., then back on your Mac move the family file back out of Dropbox.
            The file will remain in ReunionTouch, but .......
            Yep, I should have had more clarity to my statement above by saying something like "no way to not synch if the family file is in the Dropbox folder." Thank you, Mark.

Comment

Reunion Touch works veeeeeery slow on iPad air2.
              If I start the app ill have to wait for about 15 min. before ik can do something.
              Is this because a great number of persons (123.000) or the many pictures (ca 7000)

Comment

Hi Streiffers,

The number of people is the most likely cause of the problem - family file size and performance is discussed in this FAQ.

Hiding the sidebar and only opening it when you need to use it may improve performance.

For future reference, questions such as this should be posted as their own thread instead of as replies to a thread discussing an unrelated issue.

HTH
                Mark Harrison
                Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
                X