Syncing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing

I have put my Reunion 11 file in Dropbox. On my iPad, I can find it, but it doesn't synch with myReunion Touch file. How do I get the new information on the iPad to communicate with the Reunion 11 file?

Re: Syncing

Originally posted by Gene Hill View Post
    I have put my Reunion 11 file in Dropbox. On my iPad, I can find it, but it doesn't synch with myReunion Touch file. How do I get the new information on the iPad to communicate with the Reunion 11 file?
    Hi Gene,

In order to help determine the cause of the syncing problem, I would like you to do the following...

1 — On your Mac, open your family file like you normally would and select “File -> Sharing Status…” Then let us know what it says in the Sharing Status window that drops down. (I.e., does it say the file is or is not being shared? And, what is the path/location of the file shown in that window?)

2 — Likewise, on your iPad, open the family file and tap the Tools icon (i.e., looks like a hammer). Then, select “Sharing Status.” Let us know if that file is being shared and the path/location of the file shown in that window.

Thanks
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
      Hi Gene,

In order to help determine the cause of the syncing problem, I would like you to do the following...

1 — On your Mac, open your family file like you normally would and select “File -> Sharing Status…” Then let us know what it says in the Sharing Status window that drops down. (I.e., does it say the file is or is not being shared? And, what is the path/location of the file shown in that window?)

2 — Likewise, on your iPad, open the family file and tap the Tools icon (i.e., looks like a hammer). Then, select “Sharing Status.” Let us know if that file is being shared and the path/location of the file shown in that window.

Thanks
      MacBook Pro
      users/genehill/Dropbox/Gene and Glenda Hill Family Tree Export

iPad
      shows the same file, but my grand error is that the one I need to sync is
      /Gene and Glenda Hill Family Tree

the latter one has the updated information. Its title is without the word Export.
      the iPad shows a lot of folders:
      client 2050.member
      host.member
      thumbnails
      FILES
      globalRecords.cache
      others are similar

Would it work to delete Dropbox on the iPad and reload it?
      I admit I did not fully research (or understand) the use of Dropbox--not sure I do now--before a 2 week vacation with family before going to a family reunion where I added new information and pictures. After returning home, I have been trying to synch them. I realize now this is not the way to do it. Is there a way around it?
      Thanks,
      Gene
      Last edited by Gene Hill; 21 July 2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Hi Gene,

Thanks
        I too am having issues syncing with my mobile devices Reunion 11.0.11, Reunion Touch 1.0.3 (iPad Pro), Reunion Touch 1.0.3 (iPhone 6).

Add data to iPad Pro, shows up on the Desktop app, does not show up on the iPhone. All three point to Dropbox/Apps/Reunion/Reunion_v11_Harrington.familyfile11

I don't see a "File" menu on the Desktop app, could you be more specific as where to look on the Desktop app (11.0.11) for Sharing Status?
        Edit: I closed the Desktop app and reopened and the File menu was there. It only showed Edit and Help when I was replying. Not sure why that was. I've reset sync on the Desktop and everything matches on the iPad, and the iPhone is still missing the text added on the iPhone. Both showed updating after reseting sync on the Desktop app.

Dropbox is installed on both iOS devices, and phone shows last sync as of March 2017. iPad shows last sync of today.

I then made a change on iPhone and it synced to Desktop, and iPad, but original changes from iPad (again, also show up on Desktop) still don't show up on the iPhone.

Any other things to check?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by harringg; 23 July 2017, 05:41 PM.
        Reunion 11.0.7, Mac OS 10.10.3

Comment

MacBook Pro
          users/genehill/Dropbox/Gene and Glenda Hill Family Tree Export

iPad
          shows the same file, but my grand error is that the one I need to sync is
          /Gene and Glenda Hill Family Tree...
          I would like you to open your Dropbox folder "in your Finder" on your MacBook Pro.

By any chance, do you see "Gene and Glenda Hill Family Tree" in the Dropbox folder on your MacBook Pro?
          Deb Stuller
          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by harringg View Post
            I too am having issues syncing with my mobile devices Reunion 11.0.11, Reunion Touch 1.0.3 (iPad Pro), Reunion Touch 1.0.3 (iPhone 6).

Add data to iPad Pro, shows up on the Desktop app, does not show up on the iPhone. All three point to Dropbox/Apps/Reunion/Reunion_v11_Harrington.familyfile11...

I then made a change on iPhone and it synced to Desktop, and iPad, but original changes from iPad (again, also show up on Desktop) still don't show up on the iPhone.

Any other things to check?
            Try Rebuilding caches in ReunionTouch on your iPhone. If ReunionTouch opens directly to your family file, tap the Tools icon (the hammer) and select Close. Then, press/hold on the name of your family file (in the "Welcome to ReunionTouch" screen) for about 6 or 7 seconds. Then, tap "Rebuild Caches."

If that does not solve the problem, you may need to delete the family file from ReunionTouch on your iPhone. (This is done by swiping your finger to the left across the file name in the "Welcome to ReunionTouch" window and tapping Delete.) Afterward, tap "Download family file from Dropbox" to re-download that family file into ReunionTouch.

I hope this information is helpful
            Deb Stuller
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

I would like you to open your Dropbox folder "in your Finder" on your MacBook Pro.

By any chance, do you see "Gene and Glenda Hill Family Tree" in the Dropbox folder on your MacBook Pro?
              I see the file "Gene and Glenda Hill Family Tree Export" in the Dropbox folder on the MacBook Pro.

Comment

Hi Gene,

I looked back at your original question again and realized I missed a key sentence in it...

...On my iPad, I can find it, but it doesn't sync with my Reunion Touch file...
                Prior to upgrading to Reunion 11 on your MacBook Pro, it sounds like you were using our original "Reunion for iPad" app (which would have synced with Reunion 9 and/or Reunion 10 on your Mac). And, instead of making the changes in your family file in ReunionTouch, changes were made to the family file in the original "Reunion for iPad" app.

Is that what happened?

If so, you would need to do the following in order to get the information into Reunion 11 and (afterward) ReunionTouch...

1. Sync the changes back to your version 9 (or version 10) family file on your Mac. (Step-by-step directions on how to do so can be found in the "Getting Changes from the iPad" section of the "Reunion for iPad" manual. To access it, open Reunion for iPad and tap "Manual" — or tap the hammer icon, then tap "Manual."

2. Convert that version 9 (or version 10) family file so it can be used with Reunion 11 following the "Step-by-Step..." directions found here...

3. Combine the newly converted family file with the Dropbox version of your family file. (I.e., after making a backup copy of both files, you would import one family file into the other. Information on how to do so can be found in the Reunion 11 manual by opening Reunion 11, choosing Help -> Contents, and searching the manual for "import family.")

4. Then, proceed by using Reunion's Match and Merge People feature to combine the duplicated records into one. (Search for "match merge" in the Reunion 11 manual prior to using this feature.)

5. Once the version 11 family file has been updated on your Mac and duplicates have been removed, "move" (don't export) that family file into Dropbox on your Mac.

The video found here shows how to "move" a family file into Dropbox...

6. And, finally, (after Dropbox finishes syncing) download that updated family file into ReunionTouch on your iPad.

If there are any questions or problems in completing any of these steps, please click here to email me privately.
                Deb Stuller
                Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
                X