This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing file via Dropbox brainstorm

I wonder if the file in Dropbox could have different sharing permissions. I'm sharing huge game called yandere simulator (link)

Overall I'm really happy how my Reunion file stays up-to-date, synced and backed up via Dropbox on my two internal laptop hard drives, desk top, iPad and iPhone. One drawback has been using ReunionTouch where my cousin(s) could edit my file. I want them to have updated access, but not be able change things.

I use Dropbox, Copy.com and Google drive for the same type of backup and sharing but for different projects (genealogy, personal and work). With Copy.com, I can share folders and files but set different permissions (who can only see and download, who can edit, etc.). This to me seems as if it would solve my problem: either getting Dropbox to act like Copy.com (perhaps it does and I haven't explored it enough) or being able to set up Reunion and ReunionTouch with Copy.com.

Again, brainstorming here.
    Bradley Jansen
    OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Re: Sharing file via Dropbox brainstorm

Google drive operates the same way as Copy.com so perhaps we could persuade Dropbox to do the same.
    Bradley Jansen

Comment

There is an active thread in Using ReunionTouch named " Preventing ReunionTouch from changing Reunion?". Suggest that you both read it as it is discussing this very topic.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks, Bob, I saw that, but this idea isn't just about ReunionTouch.
        Bradley Jansen

Comment

Try the DropBox Help Centre:

"Can I set file permissions for members of my shared folders?" - https://www.dropbox.com/help/60?path...es_and_folders

Note: Sharing controls only work in DropBox Pro and Business accounts, so probably a non-starter for Reunion/Reunion Touch as I suspect the majority of users would be interested in staying within the 2Gb free limit.

Mervyn Ashby

Comment

Mervyn,

Thanks, that is exactly what I meant and was looking for (well, ok, not the paid part).

Continuing to brainstorm, they give two options to do what we (or some of us) want:

When you share a file or a folder with someone, you can decide which permissions they have. Learn more about owner, editor, and viewer roles.

In addition to what you pointed out (thanks again for that!), it says:

"Sometimes you may want to let people view the files in your folder without being able to change them. Dropbox offers two ways to do this:

"You can send a link to a file or folder, which allows recipients to view and download a copy of it. It’s a great replacement for sending email attachments."

I wonder if ReunionTouch would be set up to use the "link" option.
            Bradley Jansen

Comment

Hi Bradley,

The link method will work with ReunionTouch -- it's actually one of the methods mentioned in the FAQ about sharing your Family File with someone without them being able to make changes.

HTH
              Mark Harrison
              Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Hi Bradley,

The link method will work with ReunionTouch -- it's actually one of the methods mentioned in the FAQ about sharing your Family File with someone without them being able to make changes.

HTH
                Thanks, Mark, but I'm not sure that's what I want. Based on that FAQ, it would give them a copy of the family file, but it wouldn't be updated when I make changes, correct?

"In effect, you gave them a 'snapshot' of your family file (as of the date they clicked the link you sent them) which they can enjoy; but any changes they make (accidentally or intentionally) won't be synced to your family file."

What I want them to have is an always up-to-date version of my family file that they can view but not edit (the master file that I use, at least). Would their family file with link approach update via Dropbox automatically?
                Bradley Jansen

Comment

Bradley,

You're correct that using the file link method in DropBox won't provide an automatic updating service for anyone you want to have a copy of your FamilyFile or any other document, but the link given does remain constant, so your 'trusted sharers' can re-download the file as necessary and overwrite their copy with your latest version - A bit like carrying out non-automated software updates. The trick would be in communicating the need to update the file and changes they may need to look at, but presumably you would have an external feedback arrangement anyway for them to advise you of changes/additions you might want to consider.

Note: DropBox can't automatically advise these 'trusted sharers' of your file updates because it doesn't/can't know who has been given a link to your file(s).

Of course, if you want to get really complex, you could set up a duplicate fully shared Family File under a different name, that others could be allowed to edit, and you could then test the integrity of any additions/changes they make before committing them to your master file.

Mervyn

Comment

Ok, this might work (simple version, not looking for any more complexity in my life).

The plan then would be:
                    1) set up my file via Dropbox (I've done this for a few years already),
                    2) share the link with my cousin(s),
                    3) explain to them they need to get ReunionTouch (birthday gift again!) and will need to download an updated themselves via the static link.
                    Bradley Jansen

Comment

Bradley,

I think you're about there. However, if your contacts are only using ReunionTouch and don't have access to Reunion (Desktop), they would, of course, need to upload the Reunion file to their own DropBox account to be able to access it on an iPad/iPhone. Of course, if that means they need to set up new DropBox Accounts, you could send them invites from within DropBox and earn some extra free space!

Mervyn

Comment

Working...
                      X