This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

user id numbers in descendant chart

I recently created a descendant chart. Two of the (many) boxes had digits (14, and 6) just after the ancestors' names. Those are not person ID numbers, and I cannot figure out what they represent or why they are there. The one with 14 is next to the name of a a 6 GG grandfather; the 6 is beside a 1C8R. No other box has a number in that position. Any idea what they indicate?

Thanks, in advance
    Claire Bettag

Re: Mysterious digit in descendant chart

Hi Claire,

If you go into Charts / Descendant Chart, and select "Define Layouts..." from the Layout menu, then go to "Append to Names" in the Settings list at center of the "Define Descendant Chart Layouts" window that drops-down, are any of the options on the right checked?

Thanks,
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Aha...it's the "user ID." I have no idea why those numbers are there. Maybe a zillion years ago I was using that field to manipulate something. I have no reason to create new personal numbers--which I believe is the purpose of that field.

Anyway, mystery solved. Thank you.

Is there a way I can search for all the records that have numbers entered into that field, so I can now go into them and delete?

Claire

Comment

Originally posted by clairebettag View Post
        Is there a way I can search for all the records that have numbers entered into that field, so I can now go into them and delete?
        Do a find with condition:
        User ID# [find that under Numbers] Is Not ________

and leave the final field blank.
        Attached Files
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks, Dennis. That worked fine. Looks like I used that field at some point (way back when) to indicate "something" (??) for quite a few people in my database. So now, is there a global "search and replace" function that I could use to delete all those meaningless numbers? Or do I have to go in and correct them one at a time?
          Claire

Comment

Originally posted by clairebettag View Post
            Thanks, Dennis. That worked fine. Looks like I used that field at some point (way back when) to indicate "something" (??) for quite a few people in my database. So now, is there a global "search and replace" function that I could use to delete all those meaningless numbers? Or do I have to go in and correct them one at a time?
            I can't think of an obvious solution other than to do it manually. On the other hand, you could just leave them alone and change the layout on the charts so you never have to see them.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
              I can't think of an obvious solution other than to do it manually. On the other hand, you could just leave them alone and change the layout on the charts so you never have to see them.
              Speaking as a person who has often thought what is that?, or why did I do that?, the day after you finally remove them all will be the day you remember what they were for, and wish you hadn't
              Mary Arthur

Comment

Thanks, Dennis. I'll bite the bullet and do them a few pages at a time. And Mary, you're so right!!! (smile!)

Comment

Working...
                X