my iPad tells me that its next update won't work with Reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my iPad tells me that its next update won't work with Reunion

Hello - prior to the recent iPad update, I got occasional messages saying that Reunion was slowing my iPad down. Having updated (to 10.3.1), I then got a message saying that the next update will mean that I can't use Reunion for iPad anymore. I see lots about installing Reunion 11 (more expense) and then having to use Dropbox to access/synch Reunion for iPad. Not only am I totally confused, I'm also a little irritated that something that works perfectly well, will soon not work at all.

I'm reluctant to go to a different genealogy software - so please can someone tell me what to do to keep on using Reunion without unnecessary expense and effort? Re Dropbox - I find it clumsy to use.

Please help!

many thanks

Geoff

Re: my iPad tells me that its next update won't work with Reunion

Sadly this is how progress works - there are two solutions:

Don't update your iPad's iOS software

or

Update your Reunion software.

I don't know how old your iPad is, but there will come a time when Apple will stop providing updates to it too, then you'll need a new iPad if you want to keep up with the times.

As to DropBox - I find that once it's setup for Reunion it "just works". I can use my 2 Reunion files on either of 2 computers or my iPhone without worrying about if I've manually synched the most recent file to the other locations before I make any changes.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Not only does it "just work" but your data in Dropbox, iCloud, etc.., is far more secure and far less subject to disaster of any kind than on your own Mac or iDevice in your own home.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post

or

I don't know how old your iPad is, but there will come a time when Apple will stop providing updates to it too, then you'll need a new iPad if you want to keep up with the times.

As to DropBox - I find that once it's setup for Reunion it "just works". I can use my 2 Reunion files on either of 2 computers or my iPhone without worrying about if I've manually synched the most recent file to the other locations before I make any changes.

Roger
        Thank you for your help. Now done. I found it rather nerve wracking I must say. But many £/$ later, it's done. As you say - it just works. GF

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post

or

Roger

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          Not only does it "just work" but your data in Dropbox, iCloud, etc.., is far more secure and far less subject to disaster of any kind than on your own Mac or iDevice in your own home.
          Thank you Bob. Oh by the way - can I now delete/erase/remove the Reunion for iPad app and therefore all in it? In other words - is it all now safely in Reunion 11? Dumb question I know - but I worry about it!

Comment

Originally posted by geofffarrell View Post
            Hello - prior to the recent iPad update, I got occasional messages saying that Reunion was slowing my iPad down.........
            Actually, the message is using a future tense as in it may slow down.. Having said that, let me bring up a point that no one has thus far. This might slow down/not work warning isn't anything to get excited about.

It is simply warning you that the app may not work with a future OS update in its current version. If the software publisher (Leister in this case) updates their own software to work with that future OS, you won't have any problems (unless you are the rare exception to the rule).

Comment

Originally posted by geofffarrell View Post
              Thank you Bob. Oh by the way - can I now delete/erase/remove the Reunion for iPad app and therefore all in it? In other words - is it all now safely in Reunion 11? Dumb question I know - but I worry about it!
              If you are satisfied that the Mac file and the ReunionTouch file are in synch with each other, you can do as you please. But why would you want to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                If you are satisfied that the Mac file and the ReunionTouch file are in synch with each other, you can do as you please. But why would you want to do that?
                I also find dropbox very confusing to my 84 year old brain. Together with my ipad mini and ancestry i now seem to have several files at different levels of update mixed on my iphone a others. Any thoughts on how to mabe delete ancestry and droobox files so i can get files straghtened out on my devices?
                Any help greatly appreciated.

All apps are up to date but not changed in list to latest versions
                Last edited by DelbertCurlin; 01 June 2017, 01:08 PM. Reason: Apps list not correct
                Delbert Curlin
                Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
                Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

Not very far behind you, Delbert. (Age-wise) To make it less confusing, knowing how Dropbox or iCloud (and other similar "cloud" things) work makes it easier to understand.

It's really very simple. Using Dropbox, for instance, one loads the Dropbox app on the Mac or PC. You see the app. What you don't see, unless you go hunting for it, is the Dropbox folder that the app creates on the Mac or PC. When you put an item in the Dropbox app's window, you are really putting the item in the folder on the Mac or PC. Then the Dropbox app immediately copies the item to your Dropbox folder on the Dropbox server. On the Mac, the folder is located at Users > YourName > Dropbox. On a PC, I believe the path is very similar.

I don't even use the Dropbox interface to move files back and forth. I just keep an alias of the Dropbox folder in my dock and do as I would do with any other file movements. The simple act of dragging something in or out of said folder triggers Dropbox synch automatically.

Bottom line: It's just another folder -- treat it as such.

Comment

Working...
                  X