This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing iPhoto & Aperture in Yosemite 10.10.3

Here's how to get iPhoto and Aperture back if they are blocked out in your Application folder after updating to Yosemite 10.10.3. Info is from an article on Photos from Macworld.com.

1) Open the Mac App Store.

2) Click on "Purchases" in the upper menu bar.

3) Find the app. Look at the button on the right side.
    a) If the button says "Open", try it to see if it will open the app. If it does, you should be okay.
    b) If the button says "Install", if you click it, it should install the Yosemite-compatible version.
    c) If the button says "Update" (mine did on both), you can try it. It didn't work for me. If it doesn't work for you, go on here to #4.

4) If "Update" button doesn't work, do the following. It's scary, but it worked for me.
    -Close the Mac App Store.
    -Go to the Applications folder on your Mac and find the blocked out app (I advise you do one app at a time).
    -Highlight the app & send it to the TRASH. (GULP!)
    -Empty the TRASH. (GULP! GULP!)

5) Open the Mac App Store and go to Purchases again. The app should now show the "Install" button on the right side. Click it to install the Yosemite-compatible version to your Mac. Takes a while to install.

6) Open the app from your Applications folder on the Mac.

7) When I opened my Aperture app (the one I did first), a dialog window came up asking me if I wanted to rebuild the photo database (plus a couple of other options). I just chose to rebuild the photo database which took a bit of time. This didn't happen when I opened iPhoto.

Let me know if this was helpful to you! Would be interesting to see how many were effected by the blocked out apps.

Regards,
    Kaye
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Re: Fixing iPhoto & Aperture in Yosemite 10.10.3

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
    Here's how to get iPhoto and Aperture back if they are blocked out in your Application folder after updating to Yosemite 10.10.3. Info is from an article on Photos from Macworld.com.

... BIG SNIP ...

Let me know if this was helpful to you! Would be interesting to see how many were effected by the blocked out apps.

Regards,
    Kaye
    I had the same problem as I upgraded from 10.8.6 (skipping 10.9.x), however I didn't have to "Trash" the old iPhoto app. What I did have to do after the painless re-install, was to repeat the 'open' stage, as the first time it locked up - second time it gave a rebuilding message, and shortly after I had iPhoto back.

Biggest problem with current Photos App as far as I'm concerned is the lack of support for adding Geo data (Place info) to pics without it - which means imported photos without that data get placed in the same "Moment" as ones which do if the date is the same. My trusty old (early) digital camera doesn't have the place tagging facility that comes with mobile smartphones.
    Peter Cook
    Rossmoyne, Western Australia
    OSX 10.13.6 & iOS 12.4.6; Reunion 12.0 [200602];ReunionTouch 1.0.15

Comment

Re: Fixing iPhoto & Aperture in Yosemite 10.10.3

If you have not upgraded to OS 10.10.3 yet, be sure to upgrade iPhoto first to version 10.6.1 to avoid problems. Otherwise, you may get this message: In order to open "iPhoto.app", you need to update to the latest version." There's a link to the App Store. If you click the link "Search App Store", you will get the message "Item Not Available."
      If you had already upgraded to OS 10.10.3 before discovering that iPhoto versions earlier than 10.6.1 had been killed, Kaye gave a procedure that works. Apple Support gives more detailed info at https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8431.
      Note that if the App Store detects the old iPhoto on any of your networked Macs or external drives, the procedure does not work. Shut down all other devices that contain iPhoto.
      It took me a 2-3 hours to trouble shoot this problem and download the app. Is anyone else tired of Apple's tactics to make you move to the cloud and let them take over your life? I have iPhoto up and running again on my MBP. Now for the iMac, another download.... As for the new Photos, I'm waiting for the nerds on the Apple forums to quit finding bugs.
      Lawrence

Comment

Working...
      X