Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can I share Descendant Charts without using the web?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how can I share Descendant Charts without using the web?

I have been trying to share some of my genealogy data with family without using the web. I have burned some files on a CD so that users of mac and windows could enjoy pictures, data and multimedia by browsing such disks.

I mailed some disks to family and they have not been able to open and read the files. The files are mostly "charts of descendants" and are as large as 20 MB so are not very suitable for emails.

Do I have to save these files in a specific format (i.e.. PDF,RTF,etc) or does the receiver of the file need to have a specific file reading application (i.e. Adobe Reader.app) ?

I can open files on the CD on my computer because I have Reunion 9 software but this doesn't help me share with those that don't.

Please help !

Re: how can I share Descendant Charts without using the web?

Well, you don't say how you saved the charts. But, basically, yes, you do need to save them in a non-Reunion format--a .pdf is probably the best to use.

And to open a file they will need the appropriate application. On a Mac, .pdfs automatically open in Preview. On a PC, I assume that Adobe Reader is the default, which is free.

And a .pdf file probably won't be nearly that large.
    Derrick
    pitard.net

Comment

I have been able to convert small size charts to .pdf files by making a "graphic copy" but if the chart file is too large it does not work. Is there a procedure or software for converting large size files to .pdf ?

What is the format of .boxchart files called ? I can't find instructions in the manual.

Comment

I don't know if this suits you or not, but in 2010 there was a question on "what is best way for me to send a descendants chart?" and a very useful reply came from a member "mwphelps".

I have used this myself and find it amazing how a large pdf can be made in what originally seems like a blurred series of lines, only to zoom in and see a whole chart.

I hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

In case you can't find it, I attach an image of it;

Alan
        Attached Files
        iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Working...
        X