Backing up with Time Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up with Time Machine

It seems that Time Machine does not back up files residing on Dropbox. I find this scary. Do I have to backup manually ?
    http://dardel.info/genealogie/wc_toc_E.html

Re: Backing up with Time Machine

Originally posted by Dardel View Post
    It seems that Time Machine does not back up files residing on Dropbox. I find this scary. Do I have to backup manually ?
    All my files in Dropbox back up to Time Machine.
    Laura Turnbull

Comment

Yes, it does backup Dropbox files -- unless you specifically opt out of backing up a particular file. So, no, you don't need to backup manually.

You may or may not be aware of how Dropbox works. On your Mac, at Macintosh HD > Users > YourName, you will find a folder named Dropbox.

When you direct a file to Dropbox, whether through a dialog or dragging or saying Upload in the Dropbox website, what really happens is that file is deposited in the local Dropbox folder described above. Then the Dropbox app copies that file, in the background, to the Dropbox website. And if you make changes to a file from another device, the Dropbox app will copy the updated file down to your Mac ASAP.

Having said all of that, I will also say that doing a manual backup for self assurance is a good idea. Once or twice a month, I copy my Reunion files and lots of miscellaneous document files to a USB stick that always leaves the house when I do.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        Yes, it does backup Dropbox files -- unless you specifically opt out of backing up a particular file. So, no, you don't need to backup manually.

You may or may not be aware of how Dropbox works. On your Mac, at Macintosh HD > Users > YourName, you will find a folder named Dropbox.
        Thanks Bob. I am now relieved!
        When opening files on my backup disk, I did not think of going to "Users...MyName", I only saw the folders of Macintosh HD (Applications, Documents, Images etc.). I found strange that there was no Dropbox folder. Now I will try to remember where Dropbox is. It's the architecture of the folder organisation on the Mac and on its backup disk that I don't fully understand.
        Again, thank you.
        http://dardel.info/genealogie/wc_toc_E.html

Comment

Working...
        X