DNA Tree - Ancestors and Collaterals Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNA Tree - Ancestors and Collaterals Only

I'm trying to create a tree to share with DNA matches, with only my direct ancestors, their spouses and siblings. I've been going through my tree and removing branches but it's a slow, tedious process. Does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks much!

Claire

Re: DNA Tree - Ancestors and Collaterals Only

All you have to do is mark your direct ancestors, create a gedcom of only marked people, then create a new family file from your gedcom.

Not sure how you are removing branches, but that is a dangerous task--and not needed.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
      All you have to do is mark your direct ancestors, create a gedcom of only marked people, then create a new family file from your gedcom.

Not sure how you are removing branches, but that is a dangerous task--and not needed.
      That wouldn't include siblings of ancestors. And it would be a gedcom, not a chart.

While it's not what was asked for, I think the best solution would be to mark your ancestors checking off the following:

unmark everybody first, mark source person, mark spouses, and mark descendants of ancestors (limited to 1 generation).

That's the file I'd share. It should contain everyone you want. I wouldn't try to put them all on one chart. If I needed to, I'd start by making a descendant chart limited to marked people from each of my treetop ancestors, and combine them.
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
        That wouldn't include siblings of ancestors. And it would be a gedcom, not a chart.

While it's not what was asked for, I think the best solution would be to mark your ancestors checking off the following:

unmark everybody first, mark source person, mark spouses, and mark descendants of ancestors (limited to 1 generation).

That's the file I'd share. It should contain everyone you want. I wouldn't try to put them all on one chart. If I needed to, I'd start by making a descendant chart limited to marked people from each of my treetop ancestors, and combine them.
        Thanks! That sounds like a good approach. Fingers crossed.

Claire

Comment

Working...
        X