Windows genealogy software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows genealogy software?

My son would like a copy of our family history. He has a Windows PC, and I use Reunion, so it will have to be via GEDCOM.
    Export from Reunion is no problem, but choosing an application for him to get the best outcome is, as I have no experience. We have tried RootsMagic Essentials as we can both use it, but it will not import source citations in notes. The Mac version seems a bit old fashioned to me; it looks very like a Classic app running in an emulation bottle. I don’t know if the paid-for version is any better.
    As the field is wide open, what would you recommend? He is pretty tech savvy but a newcomer to genealogy.

Re: Windows genealogy software?

If he wants to enter and maintain data, I'll defer to others to suggest a solution, but if he just wants access to your work and has an iPhone, you can set up a copy of your family file just for him in Dropbox and he can see just about everything with ReunionTouch.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      If he wants to enter and maintain data, I'll defer to others to suggest a solution, but if he just wants access to your work and has an iPhone, you can set up a copy of your family file just for him in Dropbox and he can see just about everything with ReunionTouch.
      I wish it was that easy! No, he’s doesn’t have either an iPhone or an iPad. So it will all have to go on his desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hill View Post
        ...As the field is wide open, what would you recommend?...
        Before crossing over from the Dark Side (Windows), I used a fine program called Brother's Keeper (http://bkwin.com/). It's available as shareware to try out before you buy.
        Steve Thomas
        iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

John: Do you have your tree on Ancestry (or similar)? If yes, set your son up for access at whichever level you are comfortable with.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

If he wants a robust software program so he can continue adding information, I recommend Legacy Family Tree. There is a free version that is limited but would do if just wants to load your info and see what it is all about. There are wonderful video tutorials/webinars for this software and the webinars pertaining to the Legacy program remain free. Although I am a Mac/Reunion person, I have Legacy on a partition. Don't use it much, but once in a while, there are reports/charts etc. that look better in Legacy. GEDCOMs seem okay. I recommend both of you take a look at the webinar about Legacy 9 and GEDCOMS (I'm pretty sure there is one). Go to legacyfamilytree.com.

Hope this is helpful!

Regards,
            Kaye
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
            -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
            -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

You can run Family Tree Maker on both the Mac and Windows. And it's published by a Mac-centric company, MacKiev

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
                You can run Family Tree Maker on both the Mac and Windows. And it's published by a Mac-centric company, MacKiev
                My thanks to all who answered. Much useful information there! We will have to experiment a little.

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
                  FTM also synchs nearly perfectly with an Ancestry tree. I have FTM on my Macs -- not for working on genealogy --- but for a backup of my Ancestry tree. The real bonus is that all documents, such as census sheets, death certificates, etc., that one attaches on Ancestry -- copies are downloaded to one's Mac when synch takes place.

Yep, I use it for very convenient document storage. This is a time saver as one does not need to dream up a separate storage scheme.
                  Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                  Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                  iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Or, if you can find a copy, the old (no longer sold/supported) version of Reunion for Windows might be an alternative. For whatever reason, that's the one that mom insists on using (yes we've shown her several alternatives, including more recent Reunion versions on the Mac) because she finds the data entry layout on that program easier to understand and use.

Comment

Working...
                    X