Reunion Talk Digest emails always going to my Mac Mail junk folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion Talk Digest emails always going to my Mac Mail junk folder

For at least a year, despite my best efforts, Mac Mail has been putting all Leister Productions Reunion Talk Digest emails into its junk folder.

I maintain a rigorous "white listing" strategy against junk mail, using the excellent integration of the Mac Mail email client app and the Mac Contacts: everyone I want to receive email from has a contact card in Contacts, many--including a unique card for Reunion Talk, separate from the one for Leister Productions, in case too many addresses on one contact card was causing problems.

My Mail preference settings against junk are simple, and work very well for the large number other legitimate corporate or promotional emails to which I subscribe: I have checked "Enable junk mail filtering", "Move it to the junk mailbox" (When junk mail arrives); and "Sender of message is in my Contacts" (messages exempt from junk mail filtering).

This is a minor inconvenience, easily handled by visual checking, and moving Reunion emails to the inbox before deleting junk, but it would be nice to ensure that Mail does not misidentify as junk one of the most utterly trustworthy of all my corporate email contacts.

Before I raise this with Apple Support, does anyone else see a similar issue? Does anyone have any fix that I might have overlooked? Have Mark and the crew at Leister any insight into what appears to be something in the addressing of Reunion Talk Digest emails that under the Mail settings I have described make them the only "approved" email that regularly ends up in the Junk mailbox?

Gato
    (Canberra, Australia)

System in use:—
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac15,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E202)

Re: Reunion Talk Digest emails always going to my Mac Mail junk folder

Hi Gato,

Do you have your contact set up for "Reunion Talk" with a space between the two words or as "ReunionTalk" which is the correct way? That may make the difference...maybe.

Regards,
    Kaye
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
      Hi Gato,

Do you have your contact set up for "Reunion Talk" with a space between the two words or as "ReunionTalk" which is the correct way? That may make the difference...maybe.

Regards,
      Kaye
      Hi Kaye,

Thanks for your response and suggestion.

The corporate name of my Contact card for ReunionTalk is “ReunionTalk Digest (Leister Productions)”—that is, with ReunionTalk closed up, as you suggest—although, in my understanding, the individual or company name on the Contact card is configurable according to user choice, and not used in junk mail filtering. Mail uses the name to identify the sender in the inbox list.

The email address on the card, which I understand is the lookup data for Mail junk mail filtering purposes, is digest@ReunionTalk.com

Regards,

Gato.

Comment

Create a mailbox with a name like Reunion. Make a rule in your email as shown in the attachment to route to that mailbox. The rule takes precedence over the junk filter. Problem solved.
        Attached Files
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          Create a mailbox with a name like Reunion. Make a rule in your email as shown in the attachment to route to that mailbox. The rule takes precedence over the junk filter. Problem solved.
          Hello Bob,

Thanks for that suggestion. My only reservation about the setup you suggest is that it is not my preferred solution: to make the integration of Mail and Contacts for whitelisting purposes recognize ReunionTalk email as legitimate, like all other corporate or marketing email addresses in my Contacts, and place them automatically in the inbox, not junk mail. I have attempted to use Mail rules to resolve this, so far without success.

As I've said, I don't see this as a major issue. It is more in the nature of nice-to-have. Absolute perfection in sifting out junk mail is elusive: visual checking of the inbox and junk mail folders is always necessary.

Despite being intuitive, highly effective, and mostly reliable, I have seen other signs that the whitelisting possible due to the integration of Mail and Contacts is not 100% perfect: sometimes, although rarely in my experience, spammers still manage to break through by means I lack the technical expertise to analyze. It is very possible that this, as well as the problem with ReunionTalk email, indicates a remaining bug or vulnerability in the integration of Mail and Contacts that I need to raise with Apple. However, it is good to have such ideas and suggestions as yours from fellow Reunion users before I go that route.

Regards,

Gato

Comment

Everything looks like it should work. The address *should* be case insensitive, but why don't you try digest@reuniontalk.com

You could also try deleting the contact, and re-add it by clicking on the sender in Mail, and choosing Add to Contacts.
            Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Robinson View Post
              Everything looks like it should work. The address *should* be case insensitive, but why don't you try digest@reuniontalk.com

You could also try deleting the contact, and re-add it by clicking on the sender in Mail, and choosing Add to Contacts.
              Thanks Tom. I'll try both of those suggestions.

Comment

Mac Mail does not have white list or black list features. Those are normally a function of your email hosting service, so most email software does not contain this function. You could emulate such filtering with rules. I do.

I recommend that either you check your email service provider to see about availability of these functions for your account or just set a local rule and forget about it. I set the rule that you see above many years ago and have never had even a single glitch.
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                  Mac Mail does not have white list or black list features. Those are normally a function of your email hosting service, so most email software does not contain this function. You could emulate such filtering with rules. I do.

I recommend that either you check your email service provider to see about availability of these functions for your account or just set a local rule and forget about it. I set the rule that you see above many years ago and have never had even a single glitch.
                  Hello Bob,

Yes, Mac Mail *does* have whitelist features—although I don't think Apple describes or documents them as such—when used in conjunction with Contacts, and Mail Preferences, as I have described earlier in this thread. Set as I have described earlier, exempting from junk mail filtering only addresses which are in Contacts, Mail should not permit *any* sender not listed in Contacts to get through. The whitelist itself is not embedded in Mail: it is the Contacts book, and the feature is enabled in Mail>Preferences>Junk Mail settings, by checking "Sender of message is in my Contacts".

The nearest thing to a whitelist actually embedded in Mac Mail is the previous recipients list under Mail>Window>Previous Recipients. In practice I have not found this as effective for whitelisting purposes as the Contact Book approach, but it appears to be a feature which may have some benefits in managing unwanted mail.

As I said earlier, I find that the Contacts-based form of whitelisting works exceptionally well for every corporate email feed to which I am subscribed (each with its own Contact card)—except ReunionTalk.

My ISP professes to have server-based protection against junk mail containing malware, but does not offer as much user control or precision for these purposes as the integration of Mail and Contacts. Years ago, I had one ISP to which I could actually upload a whitelist; that server-based option is no longer available to me.

Regards,

Gato
                  Last edited by Gato; 03 May 2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Tried both of those suggestions, but the latest ReunionTalk alert still arrived in the Junk Mail folder. I've also assigned VIP status (in Mail dropdown menu from message address) to digest@ReunionTalk.com to see whether that makes any difference.

Thanks, anyway.

Regards,

Gato

Comment

Originally posted by Gato View Post
                      Hi Tom,

Tried both of those suggestions, but the latest ReunionTalk alert still arrived in the Junk Mail folder. I've also assigned VIP status (in Mail dropdown menu from message address) to digest@ReunionTalk.com to see whether that makes any difference.

Thanks, anyway.

Regards,

Gato
                      The latest ReunionTalk email alert still arrived in the junk folder, despite VIP status assigned to the address digest@ReunionTalk.com

Increasingly this looks like an issue I need to raise with Apple.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Regards,

Gato

Comment

For at least a year, despite my best efforts, Mac Mail has been putting all Leister Productions Reunion Talk Digest emails into its junk folder.

I maintain a rigorous "white listing" strategy against junk mail, using the excellent integration of the Mac Mail email client app and the Mac Contacts: everyone I want to receive email from has a contact card in Contacts, many--including a unique card for Reunion Talk, separate from the one for Leister Productions, in case too many addresses on one contact card was causing problems.

My Mail preference settings against junk are simple, and work very well for the large number other legitimate corporate or promotional emails to which I subscribe: I have checked "Enable junk mail filtering", "Move it to the junk mailbox" (When junk mail arrives); and "Sender of message is in my Contacts" (messages exempt from junk mail filtering).

This is a minor inconvenience, easily handled by visual checking, and moving Reunion emails to the inbox before deleting junk, but it would be nice to ensure that Mail does not misidentify as junk one of the most utterly trustworthy of all my corporate email contacts.

Before I raise this with Apple Support, does anyone else see a similar issue? Does anyone have any fix that I might have overlooked? Have Mark and the crew at Leister any insight into what appears to be something in the addressing of Reunion Talk Digest emails that under the Mail settings I have described make them the only "approved" email that regularly ends up in the Junk mailbox?

Gato
                        (Canberra, Australia)

System in use:—
                        Model Name: iMac
                        Model Identifier: iMac15,1
                        Processor Name: Intel Core i5
                        Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
                        Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E202)
                        For info of all:

I had a long online chat session with Apple Support, Saturday 5 May morning Australian Eastern time, without finding a fix for this issue. We left it as something they would pass on to their engineers as a possible bug fix or future enhancement in the integration of Mail and Contacts.

Thanks again for all responses,

Gato

Comment

Is 'Trust junk mail headers in messages' turned on? Maybe that one has priority over '…in my contacts'.
                          Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

Is 'Trust junk mail headers in messages' turned on? Maybe that one has priority over '…in my contacts'.
                            Hi Tom,

No, the "Trust junk mail headers in messages" preference box is not checked in my current setup. I have tried it on and off without any change to the way Mail handles ReunionTalk Digest alerts.

Regards,

Gato

Comment

Coming into this a bit late ...

I have attempted to use Mail rules to resolve this, so far without success.
                              When setting up the Mail rule, did you include "Stop evaluating rules" as a last step ?
                              Peter Cook
                              Rossmoyne, Western Australia
                              OSX 10.13.6 & iOS 12.4.6; Reunion 12.0 [200602];ReunionTouch 1.0.15

Comment

Working...
                              X