Export to GEDCOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export to GEDCOM

I wish to export to a GEDCOM file in order to share my tree with others in the family. What is the best way to deal with unknown or partially known dates (UK format)?

For example I may have a known year but that is all, so I have previously dealt with it thus: ? 1849 but this upsets the GEDCOM tags. Things like partially known names can be dealt with by using 'unknown' which is acceptable but ? does appear to confuse GEDCOM

Most others with be using Family Tree Maker on Windows and not having used this I don't know of the likely effects except by trial and error. It may be possible to attach unknown stuff as a note but this really defeats the object.

I've heard GEDCOM is a well intentioned nightmare

Re: Export to GEDCOM

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
    I wish to export to a GEDCOM file in order to share my tree with others in the family. What is the best way to deal with unknown or partially known dates (UK format)?

For example I may have a known year but that is all, so I have previously dealt with it thus: ? 1849 but this upsets the GEDCOM tags. Things like partially known names can be dealt with by using 'unknown' which is acceptable but ? does appear to confuse GEDCOM

Most others with be using Family Tree Maker on Windows and not having used this I don't know of the likely effects except by trial and error. It may be possible to attach unknown stuff as a note but this really defeats the object.

I've heard GEDCOM is a well intentioned nightmare
    The trick is to use "ca" (circa) or "abt", as in "abt 1849" if that is what you do mean. Both are handled in the GEDCOM format and by applications importing them (some may change ca to abt anyway).

If you know the year but nothing more, just put in that without any qualification. Similarly if you have the month but not the day then put Jun 1849. But if you have an approximate date e.g. a GRO Birth Index citation then "ca Jun 1849" will be appropriate.

You can also use "bef" and "aft" if you need to.

You have the right idea about the GEDCOM format; it's a can of worms but it's all we have. There is a better one, GEDCOM 6, but AFAIK nobody uses it.

Comment

Working...
    X