Storing records when surname changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing records when surname changes

Apologies if this has come up before but I am a new member here and could not find anything similar in the archive.

I am [re]starting a family study, and want to store all my resource material electronically in folders on my laptop (copies to cloud and physical drives). In search of a simple system I intend to have for each surname folder a fixed yet transparent code linked to reunion such as

SMITH John Thomas 1913-2011 PID233

and the filename for all docs included to start with a further standardised code such as:

SMITH Mary Frances (POTTER) 1920-2011 PID234 bcert S00245

where the 'S00245' links to the Reunion unique source reference for Mary's birth certificate. This makes the document available to Spotlight for search purposes.

This seems clear and manageable. However, the problem comes when I want to store a copy of Mary (above)'s birth certificate. I want to avoid her having two folders and I don't want to use aliases (I have had bad experiences updating system software that have destroyed all my alias structure).

My decision so far has been to have a secondary folder named POTTER Mary Frances 1920-2011 PID234 (m EAYRS) and in it to have an empty folder named simply "See entry under SMITH Mary Frances (POTTER) 1920-2011 PID234". I think this will work, but would be interested to hear how others handle this situation.

Re: Storing records when surname changes

Originally posted by meayrs View Post
    Apologies if this has come up before but I am a new member here and could not find anything similar in the archive.

I am [re]starting a family study, and want to store all my resource material electronically in folders on my laptop (copies to cloud and physical drives). In search of a simple system I intend to have for each surname folder a fixed yet transparent code linked to reunion such as

SMITH John Thomas 1913-2011 PID233

and the filename for all docs included to start with a further standardised code such as:

SMITH Mary Frances (POTTER) 1920-2011 PID234 bcert S00245

where the 'S00245' links to the Reunion unique source reference for Mary's birth certificate. This makes the document available to Spotlight for search purposes.

This seems clear and manageable. However, the problem comes when I want to store a copy of Mary (above)'s birth certificate. I want to avoid her having two folders and I don't want to use aliases (I have had bad experiences updating system software that have destroyed all my alias structure).

My decision so far has been to have a secondary folder named POTTER Mary Frances 1920-2011 PID234 (m EAYRS) and in it to have an empty folder named simply "See entry under SMITH Mary Frances (POTTER) 1920-2011 PID234". I think this will work, but would be interested to hear how others handle this situation.
    Me thinks you are on the right track, but over thinking it just a bit. I have found that having a master folder called: “S U R N A M E S” containing folders for every major family name is a good start. Once a family surname has been created, every person with that surname gets his / her own folder. Their data files are stored at that level. I should add that I always record females with their birth names, as it is rarely necessary to make links to couples outside of Reunion. Sample file structure:

S U R N A M E S
    Metzger
    Metzger, Donat (1847-1917)
    Metzger, Donat b.cert
    Metzger, Donat d.cert
    Rideout
    Rideout, Nicholas 1
    Rideout, Nicholas 2
    Trautman
    Trautman, Madeline D (1915-2011)

You are wise to name each data point (file) starting with the person’s name –– that way if it gets misplaced, it is easy to return it to the correct folder.

As for tracking individual source documents, I have turned your method inside out because Reunion’s source numbers can and do change! I solved this problem by creating a custom source field called “Palmer Doc Number” and attached it to all source types. It accomplishes a number of things:
    • It records the original (Reunion) source number.
    • It stays with the source.
    • If I merge two sources, BOTH numbers are kept!
    • All paper documents have that number recorded in pencil and stored in folders of 100 entries.
    • Most digital (word and pdf) documents also have that number recorded as a sticky note.
    • If the document is a book, I also record its physical location, e.g.: bookshelf.

Of course, others will have different methods based on differing needs and wants. It is always a case of what ever floats your boat!
    Arnold
    -----
    RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Thanks for this, Arnold. I like your idea of the custom source field - I had no idea that "Reunion’s source numbers can and do change!". Kind of annoying, no? Anyway I'll give it a whirl.

Best wishes

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by meayrs View Post
        Thanks for this, Arnold. I like your idea of the custom source field - I had no idea that "Reunion’s source numbers can and do change!". Kind of annoying, no? Anyway I'll give it a whirl.

Best wishes

Martin
        Annoying? not really. It only happens when you delete or merge sources. And this action only affects the source(s) involved. It simply creates a hole to be filled in later by the next "new" source.
        Arnold
        -----
        RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
          Annoying? not really. It only happens when you delete or merge sources. And this action only affects the source(s) involved. It simply creates a hole to be filled in later by the next "new" source.
          Ah, that's clearer. Thanks - it makes sense!

Comment

Working...
          X