This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrivener for Genealogists

Scrivener for Mac is available on the Mac App Store for 50 percent off for a limited time. This makes it $22.99.

Information about Scrivener:

(1) Main website - http://www.literatureandlatte.com/sc...p?platform=mac

(2) How to use Scrivener in genealogy - http://www.thearmchairgenealogist.co...w-writing.html

23 Jul 2014-Scrivener is still on sale.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with these products/websites except as a user.
    Last edited by kmgenealogy; 23 July 2014, 07:07 PM.
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Re: Scrivener for Genealogists

Thanks Kaye! I just bought this and am looking forward to using it -- should remove some of the psychological barriers I've had to getting started writing the stories in Word. I've also passed your links along to two other gen friends who use Windows. Thanks again.

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
      Thanks Kaye! I just bought this and am looking forward to using it -- should remove some of the psychological barriers I've had to getting started writing the stories in Word. I've also passed your links along to two other gen friends who use Windows. Thanks again.

Susan
      You are welcome, Susan. Here are a couple of other sites with tutorials/videos for working with Scrivener. I just found these the other day so can't say how useful they are but they look good. They are not oriented to genealogy but do give some basics.

http://learnscrivenerfast.com/video-library/ - modules of short videos

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/power-w...use-scrivener/ - has free PDF guide to Scrivener.
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
        Scrivener for Mac is available on the Mac App Store for 50 percent off for a limited time. This makes it $22.99.
        Just went to app store and the price is now $44.99 which is beyond my budget. Thanks anyway, maybe next time.
        Delbert Curlin
        Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
        Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
          Just went to app store and the price is now $44.99 which is beyond my budget. Thanks anyway, maybe next time.
          Sorry, Delbert. I'll try to keep track & let people know if it gets discounted again.
          Kaye Mushalik

Comment

If you are interested in Scrivener but not sure how to use it, there are a couple of upcoming events you might be interested in.

1) Lisa Alzo (moderated by Thomas MacEntee) will be doing a Scrivener Mini-Boot Camp on Saturday, 31 Jan 2015. There is a small cost - $7.95 ($4.95 if you register by Monday, the 26th). You don't have to have the program for this webinar but I recommend downloading the 30-day free trial.

2) Gwen Hernandez, the author of "Scrivener for Dummies", is offering her Spring online classes. The one for beginners is Scrivener I: The Basics and Beyond, Feb 23-March 11, 2015. This is $25 for a two & a half week course. Although not aimed at genealogy, it should be good for the basics. I've signed up because I've done nothing with Scrivener since I got it last year and determined that 2015 is the year to learn & use it! You will need the program but, again, you can use the 30-day free trial.
            Registration is now open for my online Scrivener classes (Mac & Windows) that start September 9, 2013. For more information, or to register, check out the Scrivener Classes page. I’m at t…

You can download the 30-day free trial at

Disclosure: I have no connection with any of these people/programs except as a consumer. I have attended online webinars from Thomas & Lisa. They always do wonderful webinars! Have found Gwen's classes highly recommended by people on their blogs & on Facebook group "Scrivener for Genealogists".
            Last edited by kmgenealogy; 22 January 2015, 02:29 PM.
            Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Hey, is anyone going to take the beginning Scrivener class from Gwen Hernandez, starting on Feb 23? Let me know. Maybe we can have our own little forum here to help each other and/or bounce ideas off one another...especially on how to use Scrivener with Reunion for genealogy.
              Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Hey, is anyone going to take the beginning Scrivener class from Gwen Hernandez, starting on Feb 23? Let me know. Maybe we can have our own little forum here to help each other and/or bounce ideas off one another
                I didn't know of it, but I'm interested--especially if we had a little genealogy group
                Bradley Jansen
                OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Comment

Hi Bradley,

Have you used Scrivener? If yes, do you have the program or the demo? If not, have you visited the Scrivener website & read about it? Looked at my links below? Have you signed up on Gwen's website?

Anyone who is interested-please reply & give a little background on your use of Scrivener, if any. Please give a little synopsis of what you would like to do with Scrivener.

Kaye
                  Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Thank you so much for the update on what is available out there for using Scrivener! Wish I'd seen the earlier post about the one specifically for genealogy; I'll be watching in case you post another one!

Comment

Originally posted by anitab View Post
                      Thank you so much for the update on what is available out there for using Scrivener! Wish I'd seen the earlier post about the one specifically for genealogy; I'll be watching in case you post another one!
                      You might want to go to Thomas' website - hack genealogy.com - & sign up for his newsletter. I know that he & Lisa said they would be doing more with Scrivener in the future.
                      Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Thanks, Kaye; I'll sign up for the newsletter there!
                        I purchased Scrivener last summer (didn't see the special going on!), and I've played around a little with it, creating 'to do' lists for ancestors, and timelines, to have them handy for writing a family history. I need to get back to that!

Comment

Hi Kaye,

I bought it when it was on sale, but I haven't really used it yet.

Hi Bradley,

Have you used Scrivener? If yes, do you have the program or the demo? If not, have you visited the Scrivener website & read about it?
                          Kaye
                          Bradley Jansen
                          OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Comment

Originally posted by anitab View Post
                            Thanks, Kaye; I'll sign up for the newsletter there!
                            I purchased Scrivener last summer (didn't see the special going on!), and I've played around a little with it, creating 'to do' lists for ancestors, and timelines, to have them handy for writing a family history. I need to get back to that!
                            Anita, were you intending to take Gwen's class? Join us! I feel a good basic grounding in Scrivener is necessary before trying to apply it to genealogy.
                            Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Kaye, when I went to Hack Genealogy, I found that I could purchase the 'Getting Started with Scrivener' video and obtain the 'handouts' for $4.95 - I'm excited! Since I already have the program, I want to use it well for my family history project!

Comment

Working...
                              X