ReunionTalk  
Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using Software & Hardware with Reunion

Old 04 May 2018, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Reunion Talk Digest emails always going to my Mac Mail junk folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
Hi Tom,

Tried both of those suggestions, but the latest ReunionTalk alert still arrived in the Junk Mail folder. I've also assigned VIP status (in Mail dropdown menu from message address) to digest@ReunionTalk.com to see whether that makes any difference.

Thanks, anyway.

Regards,

Gato
The latest ReunionTalk email alert still arrived in the junk folder, despite VIP status assigned to the address digest@ReunionTalk.com

Increasingly this looks like an issue I need to raise with Apple.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Regards,

Gato
Old 04 May 2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
For at least a year, despite my best efforts, Mac Mail has been putting all Leister Productions Reunion Talk Digest emails into its junk folder.

I maintain a rigorous "white listing" strategy against junk mail, using the excellent integration of the Mac Mail email client app and the Mac Contacts: everyone I want to receive email from has a contact card in Contacts, many--including a unique card for Reunion Talk, separate from the one for Leister Productions, in case too many addresses on one contact card was causing problems.

My Mail preference settings against junk are simple, and work very well for the large number other legitimate corporate or promotional emails to which I subscribe: I have checked "Enable junk mail filtering", "Move it to the junk mailbox" (When junk mail arrives); and "Sender of message is in my Contacts" (messages exempt from junk mail filtering).

This is a minor inconvenience, easily handled by visual checking, and moving Reunion emails to the inbox before deleting junk, but it would be nice to ensure that Mail does not misidentify as junk one of the most utterly trustworthy of all my corporate email contacts.

Before I raise this with Apple Support, does anyone else see a similar issue? Does anyone have any fix that I might have overlooked? Have Mark and the crew at Leister any insight into what appears to be something in the addressing of Reunion Talk Digest emails that under the Mail settings I have described make them the only "approved" email that regularly ends up in the Junk mailbox?

Gato
(Canberra, Australia)

System in use:—
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac15,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E202)
For info of all:

I had a long online chat session with Apple Support, Saturday 5 May morning Australian Eastern time, without finding a fix for this issue. We left it as something they would pass on to their engineers as a possible bug fix or future enhancement in the integration of Mail and Contacts.

Thanks again for all responses,

Gato
Old 06 May 2018, 05:32 PM

Is 'Trust junk mail headers in messages' turned on? Maybe that one has priority over '…in my contacts'.
Old 07 May 2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robinson View Post
Is 'Trust junk mail headers in messages' turned on? Maybe that one has priority over '…in my contacts'.
Hi Tom,

No, the "Trust junk mail headers in messages" preference box is not checked in my current setup. I have tried it on and off without any change to the way Mail handles ReunionTalk Digest alerts.

Regards,

Gato
Old 08 May 2018, 11:58 AM

Coming into this a bit late ...

Quote:
I have attempted to use Mail rules to resolve this, so far without success.
When setting up the Mail rule, did you include "Stop evaluating rules" as a last step ?
Old 08 May 2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cook View Post
Coming into this a bit late ...

When setting up the Mail rule, did you include "Stop evaluating rules" as a last step ?
Hello Peter,

I have no Mail Rules of any kind set in my current configuration of Mac Mail (Version 11.3 [3445.6.18]). As explained in the originating post, I use solely the exemption for Contact listings as a "white listing" barrier to junk mail—and this works exceptionally well for all purposes except, it seems, ReunionTalk Digest alerts.

In my current configuration of Mail preferences, no "stop evaluating rules" option is available, presumably because no Rules are set. The Rules window is completely empty.

For years I used Rules to fight junk mail, until I had a list as long as my arm, which spammers kept on getting around anyway. I deleted all my old Rules, reset Mail preferences, and adopted this new anti-junk mail strategy when I realised that the integration of Mail and Contacts had advanced to a stage where this was simple, mostly very reliable, and very practical. It also encourages good housekeeping with keeping Contacts listings up to date. That has benefits not only for handling junk mail, but also for maintaining Contacts as a key tool on my iPhone and iPad, and for navigation purposes.

ReunionTalk Digest alerts are the only Contact listing of which I am aware for which this does not work. Not a huge issue—easily resolved by manual checking the Junk folder, as I found again with the latest alert—but it would be nice to solve the puzzle.

Regards,

Gato

Last edited by Gato; 08 May 2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08 May 2018, 09:52 PM

Not sure if you want to dive in this deep but you can get detailed logs from the connection doctor. See here for more info:
https://www.lifewire.com/use-apple-m...-tools-2260913

Also if that isn't deep enough this may still work:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...04101603285984

In either case search the files for Header or Spam or Filter (case my be important depending on your program used to look at the files).

J Sadler
Old 09 May 2018, 02:05 PM

Very interesting that this thread has morphed from a question about a single item not ending up where one wants into a more general discussion about junk mail. I like good healthy discussions like this.

At any rate, since the topic is more general now..... Gato, you haven't mentioned who your email provider is and I don't really want to know. What I will say is that one needs to use an email provider that has excellent junk filtering, thus pretty much eliminating the problem at one's local level of their own Mac, PC, tablet, etc... thus eliminating the need for local control through rules or Contacts provisions.

I advise my users to use any of what I call the big three -- Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail. All three services are in the excellent category at stopping junk mail at their servers. Unless, via their on-line settings one chooses to actually download the junk, one never sees the junk unless one goes to their website to view the junk. On the average day, I receive 40-50 emails but only find junk getting through for maybe a half dozen items in a month. (I use Gmail.) Several times a month, I will go to their website to see if any "good" email ended up in Junk.

My two pennies. (My users? I've been working the admin side of email for many years.)
Old 09 May 2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
... does anyone else see a similar issue?
Gato, ReunionTalk is now delivered to a Mail.app Trash folder for me, too. Not sure how long; maybe 6 mo?

I've had this AOL account more than 25 years. AFAIK, the setup hasn't been changed in the last 3 years or so, except macOS and iOS updates. That means High Sierra / iCloud integration, though. I presumed something was changing on AOL's end as a result of their push to return to a paid service.

Anyway, Junk and Trash are set to be deleted manually, so it's not lost - just have to go fetch.

Reunion 11.0.12, macOS Sierra 10.13.3+, 15" Mid-2015 MBP
Old 11 May 2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Reitz View Post
Gato, ReunionTalk is now delivered to a Mail.app Trash folder for me, too. Not sure how long; maybe 6 mo?

I've had this AOL account more than 25 years. AFAIK, the setup hasn't been changed in the last 3 years or so, except macOS and iOS updates. That means High Sierra / iCloud integration, though. I presumed something was changing on AOL's end as a result of their push to return to a paid service.

Anyway, Junk and Trash are set to be deleted manually, so it's not lost - just have to go fetch.
To the Trash rather than the Junk? That’s a somewhat different problem. Unless you have chosen to send Junk straight to the Trash, of course. The only thing that should send incoming email straight to Trash would be a rule you have set either in Mail or at your ISP.

Which version of Mail and OSX or IOS are you using?

ReunionTalk > Using Software & Hardware with Reunion > Reunion Talk Digest emails always going to my Mac Mail junk folder