Numbering person research notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbering person research notes

When I put information down as a note (General Notes) for a person, I have been manually numbering each note. Some notes appear in a single paragraph, but others may run for a few paragraphs. Numbering the notes rather than the individual paragraphs helps separate or distinguish between the notes.

I have encountered an issue when I want to insert a new note between existing notes or when I want to delete a note. It throws off my numbering and forces me to manually re-number the notes from the insertion or deletion on.

Is there a way in Reunion 11 to automatically number notes, so that they will re-number themselves as I insert new ones between existing notes or delete notes?

Does anyone use another technique for distinguishing between or separating notes? Alternating between fonts - i.e. one note in font A, the next one in font B, the next one in font A, the next one in font B, and so on?

I was going to use a series of note categories rather than a single "General" category - e.g. census, directories, military, land records, witness/godparent, and so on. That would allow me to group notes by subject and, perhaps, make it easier to order or re-arrange notes on the same subject (e.g. insert a new 1851 census entry between existing 1841 and 1861 entries. If I used a GEDCOM to transfer my family tree, would all the subject notes survive the transfer or is there a chance some or all of them would be lost. Would it be best to stick with a single note category?

Thanks.

Re: Numbering person research notes

Originally posted by Michael Duffy View Post

Does anyone use another technique for distinguishing between or separating notes?.
    I just use ------ between notes.
    Sara Bradley Mason
    kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

Re: Numbering person research notes

Originally posted by Sara View Post
      I just use ------ between notes.
      Thanks, Sara - simple, but it would work. I think I may have been overthinking things!

Comment

Working...
      X