X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Migrating from FTM best practice

Originally posted by Mark View Post
    Currently, all media will be linked to a single source (whichever source is being cited).
    My thought is it would be better to duplicate the source as many times as is needed to have a single media item attached to each source.

Those who want a single source for say 1930 Census with all the images attached to that single source can afterwards easily merge the sources, but the converse is not so easy - if you create a single source with potentially hundreds of images linked to it, those who prefer one source per image will find it very time consuming to achieve this from a single source.

Note that I have no personal interest in this - I already have my sources set up as I wish with one source per media item (except where a family spread over 2 pages in a census), and won't be importing from Ancestry/Family Tree Maker, but I can imagine the problems people doing this might experience.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
      My thought is it would be better to duplicate the source as many times as is needed to have a single media item attached to each source.
      If I understand this, I agree Roger, not simply on the ease of the alternative; but that a family cited in a particular page/image of a Census may result in 1 to say a dozen citations to a single source. If we were to consider that Census town or district as a single source (10 to 40 pages for example), then for multiple families in that particular census town/district, potentially many more individuals to be cited to that as an individual source. I could see that too as working very well. However, everyone to one (e.g. 1881) Census doesn't seem to be easily manageable or to effectively document.
      Last edited by John Meara; 17 December 2015, 02:39 AM.
      John in Brisbane, Australia
      Reunion 12 & FTM on iMac, with Reunion & Ancestry on iPad & iPhone
      Ancestry ID: johnmeara1
      GEDmatch: A369974 & Admin for T578930, T249754, A943304, A193103, T826422

Comment

Originally posted by jabraham View Post
        Thank you. This is very good news. I know many people are in a hurry to ditch Family Tree Maker, but it might be good for most people to hang on and wait a bit for this enhancement.

If you can't wait, I have a workflow that might be useful to people:

1) Download the free version of Legacy onto a Windows computer (could be a friend's computer, or a virtual windows machine inside your Mac using Parallels or VirtualBox.)

2) Export a GEDCOM from FTM, then import the FTM GEDCOM into Legacy. Legacy will take a very long time analyzing and will produce a REPORT of the things it could not import. Most of the things it can't import it will turn into NOTES on the person or event. Media file names on source citations will be appended to the text of the citation.

3) Export a new GEDCOM from Legacy, and import this new GEDCOM into Reunion. Print out the report from Legacy before leaving the windows computer.

Now, you have a list of the things that didn't import. Since most of them are already notes or text embedded inside citations in Reunion, you can relink to the actual files at your leisure, in your spare time.
        In setting up my sources some 30+ years ago (before I had a computer), I assigned leading numbers to the source title from 0001-2164 (at present) and over the years maintained that method even when I went to computer genealogy records keeping. When I got my MAC back in 2008 I settled on REUNION after trying a number of programs over the years on a PC.

When I was introduced to FTM about 4 years ago it took years to get the program to work on my MAC. Once it began to work, I transferred data from REUNION to FTM via GEDCOM. This entailed some cleanup and working through the FTM MEDIA files to get up-to-speed. Now comes Ancestry and collapses my carefully worked FTM files.

Preparing a GEDCOM from FTM and immediately uploading it to REUNION 11 produced so many errors, that I gave up and have continued to use my old REUNION. Because of the ease of accepting the ‘hint’ data into FTM, I had hoped to continue with FTM, but enters Ancestry and its intention to abandon FTM.

Using this suggested GEDCOM transfer process - also noted elsewhere on the ‘net’ - I prepared a GEDCOM from the FTM 3 for MAC. I opened that file into a LEGACY 8 program I had placed on the back burner. From there I made a LEGACY GEDCOM and uploaded it to a new REUNION file. Basically, everything went as I had hoped – with some minor massaging, even my 5000+ Pictures were attached to individuals successfully – except for issues with 'Sources/MEDIA'. The current REUNION file Sources were re-numbered so that my carefully set up source naming, with a number preceding the title, have been scrambled. The obvious answer is that a complete re-numbering of all sources is part of the transfer via GEDCOM.

In trying to view this rationally, I note that the ‘hint’ sourcing data that I added to the Ancestry tree and then synchronized with the FTM on my MAC have been re-numbered in the Source list on my new REUNION 11 file. Because of this complete 're-numbering process, it would appear that I will have to completely rearrange my REUNION Sources to get them corrected – if I opt for this mode of transfer. Because of this co-mingling of ‘hint’ source/media with my numbering method and the re-numbering of all sources, I may have to consider abandonment of FTM altogether and concentrating solely on my REUNION 11 program – which may be the least disruptive.

In the meantime, I remain optimistic of a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
          The current REUNION file Sources were re-numbered so that my carefully set up source naming, with a number preceding the title, have been scrambled. The obvious answer is that a complete re-numbering of all sources is part of the transfer via GEDCOM.
          I suggest you try a different methodology. Create a custom Source Entry called: My Doc #. Once made, you can use it to catalog each Reunion source to match YOUR source naming system. That way, Reunion can do its thing and you can continue to use your system as well.
          Arnold
          -----
          RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
            I suggest you try a different methodology. Create a custom Source Entry called: My Doc #. Once made, you can use it to catalog each Reunion source to match YOUR source naming system. That way, Reunion can do its thing and you can continue to use your system as well.
            I know how to set up the 'My Doc #' but what are the mechanics of your suggestion? It sounds good, but I'm not grasping how to actually make it work. Would you be kind enough to elaborate on the exact 'how to' to identify the items to be changed to 'MyD'?

Comment

In the source that Reunion now thinks is Source 1, and your bit of paper says is Source 254, you'd set the "My Doc #" field in Source 1 to say "254".

Roger
              Roger Moffat
              http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
              http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

In the source that Reunion now thinks is Source 1, and your bit of paper says is Source 254, you'd set the "My Doc #" field in Source 1 to say "254".

Roger
                Here's what I do- in order to have a reference back to the Source of my info as listed in Reunion, I include the Reunion assigned number in brackets at the end of the source, i.e.
                (R-254). That way I can always find the source, if needed, in Reunion, details of, who else the source applies to, etc. I do often make notes about the sources and add media too, so this way of cross referencing has proved helpful.
                Bonnie Samuel
                Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Comment

Roger
                  Precisely!
                  Arnold
                  -----
                  RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Just a heads up for everyone: this is because FTM/Ancestry allows you to link media to source citations, while Reunion only supports linking media to sources.

We do have a change in the works that will result in media linked to source citations in the GEDCOM being imported and linked to the relevant source. If you find that this situation applies to you (media linked to source citations not being imported) you should contact us directly at help@leisterpro.com

HTH
                    My FTM has over 1000 photos, numerous notes, word docs, etc. From my reading of the various threads, it seems that however the import is managed, these documents would still need to be manually appended to person in the file. Is my assumption correct? It is so daunting as to put off the process of converting to Reunion

Comment

Originally posted by rossbald View Post
                      My FTM has over 1000 photos, numerous notes, word docs, etc. From my reading of the various threads, it seems that however the import is managed, these documents would still need to be manually appended to person in the file. Is my assumption correct? It is so daunting as to put off the process of converting to Reunion
                      The photos linked to people can be transferred fairly painlessly. I can't speak to the ones attached to sources, but it sounds like contacting Leister Productions at help@leisterpro.com would be a good move.
                      Tim Lundin
                      Heartland Family Graphics
                      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Just a heads up for everyone: this is because FTM/Ancestry allows you to link media to source citations, while Reunion only supports linking media to sources.

We do have a change in the works that will result in media linked to source citations in the GEDCOM being imported and linked to the relevant source. If you find that this situation applies to you (media linked to source citations not being imported) you should contact us directly at help@leisterpro.com

HTH
                        Mark - Given that it has been 10 months since your post, do you still want emailed files for you to convert, or is there anything in the latest releases that now does this?

Comment

Originally posted by rickj View Post
                          Mark - Given that it has been 10 months since your post, do you still want emailed files for you to convert, or is there anything in the latest releases that now does this?
                          This change appeared a while ago, in Reunion 11.0.8. The newest update is 11.0.10; so if you get that version, you'll also get all the interim improvements too.
                          Frank Leister
                          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
                          X