This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circus Ponies Notebook death... OmniOutliner, DevonThink

I've been using Circus Ponies Notebook to store my genealogy notes, emails, clippings, etc. but since the company recently went out of business I'm trying to figure out what to do next, since eventually I'll have to change programs.
    I read that I can export my CPN files to OmniOutliner (via .opml), but it also said that the export/import won't include any jpg, pdf, etc. files and I'd have to go through and reinsert them manually. That'd be a big job. (Not sure if it's the export that cuts the files, or if it's OOs import.)
    Then I've been reading how several of you like DevonThink. Does anyone know if I can import an .opml file into DevonThink?
    Does anyone here use OmniOutliner?
    Are these better than EverNote?
    It's a big decision... and I don't want to change twice.
    Thanks so much for your advice and opinions.
    Julie

Re: Circus Ponies Notebook death... OmniOutliner, DevonThink

Hi Julie,

I used to use CircusPonies Notebook (CPN) a lot and still have some files that I should try to preserve. I downloaded a 14-day trial of OmniOutliner (OO) and did a quick test.

I created a small notebook in CPN that included an image and exported it as a RTFD file. I could then open that file directly in OO. Once I saved it, I could see and open the image I had there. I am not sure how well the RTFD/OO trick will work with a larger CPN file but it might be worth a trial.

Good luck,

George

Comment

I can't answer your question, but I love DevonThink for storing all my notes and media.

Comment

Thanks very much for your feedback!

Comment

A couple of thoughts…
          Originally posted by durandjk View Post
          … eventually I'll have to change programs.
          This could be many years down the line - your software won't stop working. Eventually there may be a clash with the then version of Mac OS. In the meanwhile, consider the possibility that all you need is the built-in system of folders and Finder. Mac are not going to give up on that.

Comment

DEVONthink allows you to export your files and database structure to finder folders and PDF/Rtf files so even if DEVONthink goes away, you are not left stranded.

I have found DEVONthink as essential to my genealogy research as reunion!

Not sure if tyoucan import an.opml file with attachments directly into DEVONthink,but in general getting data or files into DEVONthink is quite easy with many options.
            Last edited by steveoc; 30 December 2016, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Just peruse DEVONthink documentation in anticipation of getting access to my computer for the first time in months.

You can indeed import an.opml file directly into DEVONthink.

Comment

Originally posted by durandjk View Post
                I've been using Circus Ponies Notebook to store my genealogy notes, emails, clippings, etc. but since the company recently went out of business I'm trying to figure out what to do next, since eventually I'll have to change programs.

Does anyone here use OmniOutliner?
                Are these better than EverNote?
                It's a big decision... and I don't want to change twice.
                Thanks so much for your advice and opinions.
                Julie
                I moved from Circus Ponies Notebook (which had some great features) to Evernote several years ago. I've also been an OmniOutliner user since 2003.

In terms of organizing your research I think Evernote is a better fit. OmniOutliner makes individual files. (It is my primary outliner, but for individual stuff.) Evernote makes "notebooks" and notes, and each note can be tagged. The notebooks, with a little thought, can be considered equivalent to the "dividers" in CP Notebook.

Both applications can clip as a System service, but Evernote also has widgets for the Firefox and Safari browsers that allow you to capture PDFs from Web pages--either selections or an entire page. You can "print" directly to a new Evernote note, and there is an Evernote menu widget that lets you type notes or drag files in to the database.

Evernote will also capture most graphic types (JPEG, GIF, and so on). All your entries can be synched to Evernote's cloud, and shared across other computers, smartphones, and tablets.

I'm sure there are other notebook services (like OneNote) that would offer similar features; Evernote is just the one I'm most familiar with.

Oh, it's also a pretty good outliner, but OmniOutliner is MUCH more capable in that regard.
                --
                Matt McCaffrey

Proprietor of the "family business" since 2015

Researching McCaffrey, Duffy, Garrow/Garand/Garant, Alden, Cadieux, Gagne

Comment

It may be best to continue discussinion of DEVONthink on their forum. I started a thread there on DEVONthink and genealogy:

I know many genealogy researchers use or are interested in using DEVONthink.i’d like to share ideas about using DEVONthink for genealogical research.

ReunionTalk member Allsop is active in the DEVONthink forum as well. He has chimed in. I shared how I set up my database.

Comment

Does anyone know if I can import an .opml file into DevonThink?
                    I used CP but jumped to DevonThink several years ago. I have yet to find any technology to which DevonThink is unable to communicate and ultimately import. It is a wonderful application, has world-class support via its user forums that include the developers and super-experienced persons who are omnipresent there.

I purchased DevonThink Pro Office. It is at the core of my reasearch and archived digital/digitzed sources. You only pay once. Frequent upgrades. It is easily the most amazing toolset I've encountered. I use it, every day, for just about anything "I might need" some day.

I don't know what an .opml file is, but this link from 2013 suggests DT was already capable of dealing with that genre. The DT forums will have all the answers for you.

DEVONtechnologies develops DEVONthink, DEVONagent, and other Mac and iOS apps for document and information management and web research.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X